Sponsored

Last year for V8 2024 (and Mach-E discussion) via Ford Performance conference call

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
Most everyone here is thinking as a consumer and not as a business... Ask yourself, what purpose does it serve to dump millions into R&D for a new V8 and new ICE platform for a low production vehicle when you will likely be banned from selling your new product in most of your available markets within the next 10 years? That is why you are seeing alot of companies announce plans for their product lineups to be all electric or nearly all electric within the next 10 years.

In my PERSONAL opinion, the S650 died along time ago.... The "new" Mustang in 2020-2022 is just going to be a refreshed S550 with a refreshed coyote (if even that), and hybrid power plants (4 or 6 cylinder or both). The "S650" will be based on the Mach E platform (my hope would be that it is re-configured to at least offer a 2 door coupe) and the Mustang will be all electric for the next generation forward. Hybrids based on the S550 might co-exist for a short period of time (think Shelby variants) as they should be relatively low cost to develop. If the Mustang survives this CUV/SUV crap, its going to be all electric by 2030 at the latest. As I said, it just does not make sense in investing in a new ICE platform for a low production sports car (especially in the state Ford is currently in).
Sponsored

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Most everyone here is thinking as a consumer and not as a business... Ask yourself, what purpose does it serve to dump millions into R&D for a new V8 and new ICE platform for a low production vehicle when you will likely be banned from selling your new product in most of your available markets within the next 10 years? That is why you are seeing alot of companies announce plans for their product lineups to be all electric or nearly all electric within the next 10 years.

In my PERSONAL opinion, the S650 died along time ago.... The "new" Mustang in 2020-2022 is just going to be a refreshed S550 with a refreshed coyote (if even that), and hybrid power plants (4 or 6 cylinder or both). The "S650" will be based on the Mach E platform (my hope would be that it is re-configured to at least offer a 2 door coupe) and the Mustang will be all electric for the next generation forward. Hybrids based on the S550 might co-exist for a short period of time (think Shelby variants) as they should be relatively low cost to develop. If the Mustang survives this CUV/SUV crap, its going to be all electric by 2030 at the latest. As I said, it just does not make sense in investing in a new ICE platform for a low production sports car (especially in the state Ford is currently in).
I believe last rumors were the new Aviator platform was going to be the S650. Not sure if tha'ts shared with the Mach-E or not. That was due to enable a hybrid, and possible AWD. I'd like to see a Msutang with the Aviators 494hp/630TQ Hybrid system.

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 California Special A10
Thought for today:
If most of vehicles go electric in the modern world what happens in the middle east where oil is there economy?
What happens to the oil jobs in America, we are now a leading exporter of petroleum products?
Seems to me it is shaping up to be a upset to world markets if your speculations are true.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Thought for today:
If most of vehicles go electric in the modern world what happens in the middle east where oil is there economy?
What happens to the oil jobs in America, we are now a leading exporter of petroleum products?
Seems to me it is shaping up to be a upset to world markets if your speculations are true.
Oil i still used in LOTS of products. Plastics, fuels for other types of travel, asphalt, Artificial turf, cosmetics, foods, solar panels... long ass list. Some will be offset with the needs for the new powertrains, and energy collectors.

Sponsored

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
I believe last rumors were the new Aviator platform was going to be the S650. Not sure if tha'ts shared with the Mach-E or not. That was due to enable a hybrid, and possible AWD.
The CD6 platform that the Aviator is on was supposed to underpin the S650 according to the rumors. My opinion is that Ford scrapped even that option. Think about it, what competition do they have? What is compelling them to take the Mustang to a new platform? The Camaro has an uncertain future and the Challenger is still on the same decades old platform and OUTSELLING the mustang. Why not just refresh the styling (comparatively low cost to an entirely new generation) to keep the product current and wait it out until your new all electric platform is truly ready?

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
Oil i still used in LOTS of products. Plastics, fuels for other types of travel, asphalt, Artificial turf, cosmetics, foods, solar panels... long ass list. Some will be offset with the needs for the new powertrains, and energy collectors.
And these companies in the middle east are not as short sighted as people over here seem to be.... They are actively developing new sides of their businesses in green energy, whether it be acquiring other "green" companies or actively developing green tech. Most see the writing on the wall and are preparing for that future.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
The CD6 platform that the Aviator is on was supposed to underpin the S650 according to the rumors. My opinion is that Ford scrapped even that option. Think about it, what competition do they have? What is compelling them to take the Mustang to a new platform? The Camaro has an uncertain future and the Challenger is still on the same decades old platform and OUTSELLING the mustang. Why not just refresh the styling (comparatively low cost to an entirely new generation) to keep the product current and wait it out until your new all electric platform is truly ready?
Cutting the old one for production costs is the only idea I can see. Why pay for 3 platforms when you can get away with 2? I believe the mach-E platform was designed JUST for electric 2dww/4wd vehicles. The CD6 will be for Gas/Hybrid/Electric 2wd/4wd combo vehicles.

13GetThere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lynn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP2 Magnet Grey
You can believe what you want, but scientific facts show your comment to be incorrect. If you are implying that this is a political issue that to is incorrect. Our Earth has been changing for hundreds of years, but only in the past century has this change increased so dramatically and for the worse.
For any fact that your scientist invents that says climate change is real, there is another scientist who can prove that it's wrong, but you are only hearing one side of the story because the other side doesn't support the outcome that the powers that be want. The planet itself has more impact on the climate than man could ever have, and that's a fact proven by geologist. As for the dramatic change in the last hundred years, that's a load of crap. I've been around for over 6 decades, I haven't seen anything today that I haven't seen or heard about before. I work at an airport where the official temperatures are recorded. When I leave work at the hottest time of the day and take my my 30 minute drive to my rural home, it's usually 10 degrees cooler at home. Yet there is the news media raving about the record temperature. Ever wonder why the don't record temperatures in rural areas that are unaffected by heat islands?

Alternative fuels use is not just about the climate. It is about the availability of fossil fuels. Yes we have enough today but just think, every time someone in the Middle East sneezes our gas prices go up. As time goes on, supplies will dwindle and costs will rise. Now electric is what we have today. Tomorrow it can be solar, or wind, or something else. And yes, a lot of todays electricity is produced by plants that produce carbon but that to will change.
There is plenty of natural gas, oil, and coal. Probably enough to last through your great grandchildren's great grandchildren. You will never replace the capacity of current power plants with wind or solar because it is too inefficient, too expensive, too reliant on the weather, and would take up too much land to be viable.

Very shortsighted. I plan to have solar charging my electric car.
This is funny. Call your local solar installer, tell them what you need, and ask for a price. Then try to keep your jaw off the floor.

I certainly hope for the futures of my grandchildren and my great great grandchildren you are wrong.
Don't worry, your grandchildren will be fine. Just don't piss away their inheritance and freedom on a bunch of leftest propaganda.

tokuzumi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Escalade ESV
Thought for today:
Easy. As one new industry pops up, it creates a bunch of jobs designed to support/maintain that new industry. If everyone starts buying electric cars, there will be huge demand in the electric utility sector to be able to supply the demand of electricity necessary to charge 10s of millions of EVs on the road. Battery tech R&D to increase range, power and reduce charge time. Huge money put into solar panels to increase yield.

Look how quickly smartphones dominated the world landscape. 10 years ago, the majority still had flip/feature phones.

WRT the oil industry, it will still be around, as everything we own is made of plastic. And everything made of plastic comes from oil. The US will adapt to the new shift in industry. It's what the US has done since its inception. Biggest change will be the company name on your paycheck.

Sponsored

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 California Special A10
I understand what you are saying and realize products will utilize crude oil base for products.
There is a lot of vehicles on the road everyday, that's a lot of fuel not being used. Also I'm sure the green people will be going after these products also in the future.
If crude oil is a natural resource of your country I would think it would make a difference.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
Cutting the old one for production costs is the only idea I can see. Why pay for 3 platforms when you can get away with 2? I believe the mach-E platform was designed JUST for electric 2dww/4wd vehicles. The CD6 will be for Gas/Hybrid/Electric 2wd/4wd combo vehicles.
I agree on cutting the old platform but the CD6 will require quite a bit of modification to work with a 2 door sport coupe layout. That might end up costing more that just keeping the old platform around.

The Mach E platform is a purpose built BEV and CANNOT be used in ICE configuration of any kind. That is something I do not think alot of people understand. You can take an ICE platform and make a crappy EV out of it (bolt, leaf, etc...) that compromises something (battery size, battery cooling, power, etc..) in order to work within the platform constraints. A purpose built BEV platform (tesla, Mach E, Porsche Taycan, etc..) allows for much better performance as an EV but cannot be used in ICE applications (due to the battery usually residing under the floor, no transmission tunnel, no provisions for engine mounts, cooling, fuel systems, etc...).

Another reason why you are seeing companies jump ship completely to EV is that these new platforms they are developing can ONLY be used for EVs. Again, why invest in a new ICE platform when EV is clearly going to be the future. Just keep your current ICE products in production while you slowly phase in EVs.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
Don't worry, your grandchildren will be fine. Just don't piss away their inheritance and freedom on a bunch of leftest propaganda.
So what you are going to tell your grandchildren when gas cost $25 a gallon because there simply is not enough easily accessible oil supply? What do you tell them when the world has no solution because the technology that could have existed was thrown away because it "cost to much", "was a danger to freedom", and was being developed because of "leftest propaganda"?

The short short-sightedness that exists on this site is incredible....

OX1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
86 Capri 5.0 Turbo, 17 Fusion Sport, 21 GT500 CFTP
Because only one manufacturer is making a compelling electric offering right now that is available in the US.....
Who cares why, I was correcting the premise that EV sales have been increasing 2% per year in the US.

TaraFirma

Wait.....Wut?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 GT, 17 GT350, 19 GT, 65 coupe, 13 F-150, 14 Porsche Panamera eHybrid
Last time they did not offer a V-8 in the mustang, was known as the worst year for the mustang (1974). It was also the beginning of the worst era in Mustang history, the mustang II. I would ask for this, “do you want to kill the mustang? Because this is how you kill the mustang”.
Sponsored