kayshd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kays
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang GT
Hi Guys,

New to this forum and mustang ownership but I recently picked up a 2011 GT with Kooks LTH 1 7/8, Kooks Off Road X, and Corsa Extreme. The euphoria of wow this car is brand new, amazing, and can have no wrongs has worn off and I'm finding this setup to be a little too loud. Namely, cold starts are probably annoying my neighbors (understandably), I have to short shift really early if I want to hold conversations, and it gets a little trumpety on medium revs. It does sound godly at WOT though :D

I'm trying to make cold starts less brutal, and eliminate some drone, while still having the ability to turn heads if I want to step on it.

I have a number of solutions in my head, and wanted feedback on them, as well as new suggestions.

Plan 1: Buy Kooks Catted X or H pipe to replace my catless X pipe. Will this make a noticeable difference in cold starts/drone/volume in general? (perk of this route is i can actually pass emissions hopefully)

Plan 2: Pair the LTH & O/R X with a more subtle touring/street catback because that setup + Corsa Extreme is a lot. Any suggestions for cheap milder catbacks? Would I have difficulty selling the extremes or are they in demand?

Plan 3: Buy a cheap axelback like the SR Performance Axel-back for $270. Will swapping the corsa extremes with something like the SR Performance (which american muscle rates at low loudness), fix the issue?

Plan 4: ??? This is where you guys come in with very brilliant and perfect solutions!!

Sidenote: I found a Kooks Catted H on ebay that claims to be for the GT500. This would work on my GT since its still pairing to Kooks LTH right?

00i0i_3YEN1exPbpb_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

Andrew@Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2003 10th Anniversary Cobra / 2003 Ford Lightning
Putting cats will quiet it down a bit. Another options is to weld some Vibrant resonators on the pipes.

OP
OP

kayshd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kays
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang GT
Putting cats will quiet it down a bit. Another options is to weld some Vibrant resonators on the pipes.
Just got it up on a lift and looked at fitment to see if welding vibrant resonators was an option, and it looks like there is a bit of room after the o/r x and before the catback. I was under the impression that adding resonators like this would have more of an impact on the tone/quality (still good as it is a little too trumpety for my taste). Would it also have a noticeable impact on volume itself (coldstart/cruising/highway/etc)??

OP
OP

kayshd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kays
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang GT
Just got it up on a lift and looked at fitment to see if welding vibrant resonators was an option, and it looks like there is a bit of room after the o/r x and before the catback. I was under the impression that adding resonators like this would have more of an impact on the tone/quality (still good as it is a little too trumpety for my taste). Would it also have a noticeable impact on volume itself (coldstart/cruising/highway/etc)??
Additionally, my buddy at the exhaust shop seemed convinced that going with catted X or H would be the answer to my volume/cold start concerns. I've read that it is isn't make or break difference in VOLUME between catted and o/r. Can anyone weigh in anecdotally?

thelostotter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP
Additionally, my buddy at the exhaust shop seemed convinced that going with catted X or H would be the answer to my volume/cold start concerns. I've read that it is isn't make or break difference in VOLUME between catted and o/r. Can anyone weigh in anecdotally?
I have the ARH full system on my car and added Magnaflow 14419 mufflers to the midpipe before it turns to go around the differential. The difference between catted and catless on my car is pretty small, I would not count on the cats to make or break the difference. I think the difference was more with the tone than the volume. Catless sounds a bit rowdier.

Sponsored

Jordan @ Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.lethalperformance.com
First Name
Jordan
Vehicle(s)
2016 Stingray M7
More vicarious than anecdotal, but from my experience with customers it would seem that a catted set up is going to do less as far as quieting it down compared to resonators. Both reduce noise but some of these resonators are designed with the intention of keeping a catless car's volume in check.

OP
OP

kayshd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kays
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang GT
I have the ARH full system on my car and added Magnaflow 14419 mufflers to the midpipe before it turns to go around the differential. The difference between catted and catless on my car is pretty small, I would not count on the cats to make or break the difference. I think the difference was more with the tone than the volume. Catless sounds a bit rowdier.
More vicarious than anecdotal, but from my experience with customers it would seem that a catted set up is going to do less as far as quieting it down compared to resonators. Both reduce noise but some of these resonators are designed with the intention of keeping a catless car's volume in check.
Thanks for the feedback guys. Got it cats likely aren't the answer (although i will probably have to buy the catted pipe to pass emissions eventually). Would you imagine that a more tame touring axelback, something like the SR performance one instead of the corsa extremes will take away the brutal cold starts/drone while still making the sound we have all come to love when you step on it?

Jordan @ Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.lethalperformance.com
First Name
Jordan
Vehicle(s)
2016 Stingray M7
Yes 100%. I have the Corsa Sports and they're very reasonable. More burbly instead of raspy. I personally like to drive fast and being loud is counter productive so tame mufflers are a must.

Last edited:

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
Back when I had Corsa Xtremes and added ARH long tubes found the tone to be trumpety for for my taste. Added a pair of vibrant 1794s which are 3"in and out and 12" long. Killed the trumpets and brought down the volume some. This pic is what I used as a ref to placement right after mufflers before x. Ultimately I cut off the Corsa mufflers but kept he double x and just added AWE Touring mufflers. Favorite combo so far on this car. Screams up top, no trumpets and more character at low rpms too.

Pic of placement guide

Vibrants.jpg
Sponsored