You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
OK that looks fantastic man so they sanded it out of the clear and they just re-cleared?

Ty
Yes, he sanded down the clear ever so gently to unbury the vinyl logo. Then he said he had a little trouble getting the logo off, but at least it was a thick vinyl, so that helped. Then he sanded everything down smooth, clear, sand, clear, sand clear for a total of 6 coats of clear to make the shadow disappear.

He did a phenomenal job, it came out perfect. I am so happy to have this CAI now that the logo is gone.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Jmeo

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
FANTASTIC!

That came out amazing. Your paint guy did a fantastic job. Before you put it on, let the paint cure a little while. Engine bay particulate can embed itself in the clear before it has a chance to degas and harden all the way. If he baked it then it'll probably be fine. The particulate can cause a "haze" or a discoloration weeks or months down the road that you'll have to cut and buff out.

These cars done right really are a work of art.
I have to agree, he did a really good job. I wonder what would be considered enough time? I think I will install the intake, and leave the cover off until said time.

I will say my truck smelled pretty good from the cover being inside it for maybe two hours.

Wolvee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
I’m not a pro body man or anything but I’ve seen clear coats still be soft two weeks after it’s been done. I put my small painted parts in a home made hotbox to harden them faster. Just sitting out I’d probably give it a week in a warm area with good ventilation.

navbtcret

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT 500
Rule of thumb from most body shops is do not wax you vehicle for 1 month after it gets painted and cleared or you can get micro cracks from the product degassing.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jmeo

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Jamie, about how much did it cost to get that job done ?
Unless it was baked, right?

As you know it will come down to what your guy wants to charge you -vs- the next guy. It's all labor, so the price will vary based upon what they feel their labor is worth, lol.

The place I used decided not to charge me. I had never used them before, but I was referred to them when I needed factory delivered blemishes repaired. I never had it done because the car went to SA. I was floored when the owner decided to not charge me. He just said to keep them in mind for the future. I sure as hell will!

I did not ask if if was baked. By the off gassing of odors, I do not believe it was. I will leave the cover off for a month. Good news is three weeks will have passed by by the time I get it back from PPF :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Jmeo

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
how does the clear coat hold up with the heat of the engine ????
Just fine. Think about it, the paint on the hood is clear coated and it holds up fine.

OP
OP
Jmeo

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Installed today :clap:

Holy crap do I hear the SC wine now! I have the cover off as we discussed, but man I can hear the whistle whine instantly. Lets not forget my car just got an upgraded intercooler, and a pulley drop. I can not say with certainty what caused what, but I can say I am sure a little bit if everything made it so. I freaking love it!

The box itself fits like OEM. It took a while to mess with the placement of the intake tube to get the cover to install easily. The carbon fiber air box is not as rigid as hard plastic, so you want to make sure everything is lined up perfectly. Overall, it was not much different than any other CAI I have installed, except I will say the fit & finish is amazing.

tempImageDjKTot.png

tempImagecKz2ao.png

tempImageFSYhfj.jpg

tempImageVtKBor.png

tempImage6KNjC0.jpg

As you can see in the last picture the Kong logo is ghosted...... Oh well, it is not noticeable to the naked eye. Still worth it.

Last edited:

Sponsored

The Demon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 N5809, 2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Vehicle Showcase
Installed today :clap:

Holy crap do I hear the SC wine now! I have the cover off as we discussed, but man I can hear the whistle whine instantly. Lets not forget my car just got an upgraded intercooler, and a pulley drop. I can not say with certainty what caused what, but I can say I am sure a little bit if everything made it so. I freaking love it!

The box itself fits like OEM. It took a while to mess with the placement of the intake tube to get the cover to install easily. The carbon fiber air box is not as rigid as hard plastic, so you want to make sure everything is lined up perfectly. Overall, it was not much different than any other CAI I have installed, except I will say the fit & finish is amazing.

tempImageDjKTot.png

tempImagecKz2ao.png

View attachment 604027

tempImageVtKBor.png

View attachment 604029
Looks fantastic man.

Ninjak

Posting from the Shadows
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 2019 Harley Davidson F150 68 GTA
Bloody O that's sexy. I do see a ghost image of the Kong Logo. Must be the angle of the pic. But you really really have to look hard for it.

I see Livernois has a CF intake tube, think it was $599. Has anyone tried it ?

Last edited: