tdstuart

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
I was expecting more in the bottom of the drain pan given the glitter look. Have seen Ceratec look very similar in used oil with a weird cloudy/ridge look. Just minus the abundance in distinct glitter specs. Thought you said it had ceratec in it but may have that wrong.

Do you have an oil filter opener? Would be very interested to see what the pleats have collected.
No ceratec. I was running Valvoline VR1. Then I filled up 4 quarts with motor craft oil just so it didn’t do more damage when I was diagnosing.

And I might need to get metal shears but ya I’ll open up the filter at some point
Sponsored

OP
OP
tdstuart

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
Update. Lots of big chunks of metal in the oil pan. Keep in mind i flushed the oil system with fresh oil and these pieces are still remaining…
ADFAC025-9AAE-4F01-907C-818C5DC9EBC2.jpeg
82596DF6-00F0-4044-9054-BA15D42EC495.jpeg
FA550D4B-DBF1-4072-9C12-B6304F382323.jpeg
E601395B-7FB9-4035-884D-3C656E15F3E1.jpeg

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Those flakes are indicative of a spun bearing for sure. I’ve experienced that twice before on two different motorcycle engines.

Sponsored

OP
OP
tdstuart

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
Rod bearing #7 spun. This corresponded with the slightly smaller compression number that cylinder 7 also had. I am assuming the cylinder wall is damaged but we will see. Maybe even the head of the Rod stretched enough.
270B21CF-B2AE-4207-B531-116DD9693BCD.jpeg

image.jpg

OP
OP
tdstuart

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
Still no idea how it lost so much oil. Did a quick peak at the cylinder walls and didn’t see anything obvious

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
It probably burned the oil. 1250 miles per quart isn’t a crazy burn rate if you drive the car hard.

Check the cam caps to see if they are scored. If they look good buy yourself and a factory short block and a parts washer. If they are messed up decisions will need to be made.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
It probably burned the oil. 1250 miles per quart isn’t a crazy burn rate if you drive the car hard.

Check the cam caps to see if they are scored. If they look good buy yourself and a factory short block and a parts washer. If they are messed up decisions will need to be made.
Agreed. How much is a new gen 3 shortblock these days?

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Agreed. How much is a new gen 3 shortblock these days?
With no core, 3800. It really is a tossup of just putting a used motor in it though. He would probably have 6k in it after everything. A good used gen 2 fetches about the same.

Sponsored
OP
OP
tdstuart

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
With no core, 3800. It really is a tossup of just putting a used motor in it though. He would probably have 6k in it after everything. A good used gen 2 fetches about the same.
Heads were just cleaned up 5.5k miles ago and it has cams, springs, and headstuds. I would deffinately just buy a shortblock as long as the cam caps and head aren’t messed up.

OP
OP
tdstuart

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium

Never burned that much oil with my gen2 and I never saw any smoke in the exhaust. But I also never found any oil leaks besides a little oil residue near the head gasket so I really don’t think it leaked.

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Heads were just cleaned up 5.5k miles ago and it has cams, springs, and headstuds. I would deffinately just buy a shortblock as long as the cam caps and head aren’t messed up.
I hope they are in good shape. From a cost prospective though, it’s all the little things that add up and get you. From taxes, shipping, head stud kit, new oil pump, gaskets and other small odds and ends, when all the receipts are in you hand it will be pretty close.

If you add in you can sell the motor you have even broken for a good chunk it gets even more murky. You would also have a great base to build one day if you keep it.

You may never know why it burned the oil but the lesson is just check it more often. It’s an expensive mistake but we have all made them.

jmagnus87

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Magnus
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Comp Orange '22 Chevy Silverado
I can get one from Ford for $3000 (+500 core charge).
This really ain't all that bad for a motor you know is good/has some kind of warranty if you buy it somewhere local.
Sorry to hear of your troubles, but thanks for keeping us updated, good to see updates on stuff like this
Sponsored