tdstuart

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
From the condition of the cams, you did not starve it for oil. If you can, have someone crank it while you watch the cams and chains.

If they hold the accelerator to the floor the car will crank and not start.
I thought about doing that, what should I be looking for? The camshaft and everything feels nice and tight and the chains also look tight.
Sponsored

OP
OP
tdstuart

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
Have you done a compression check yet?
Nope. I think if this doesn't fix it ill look at compression and use my borescope to check valves. If not compression/valves then I'll look at the oil. If oil looks good maybe ill replace the vct phaser (especially if I continue to get the one code). If not the vct phaser then probably rod or crank bearings.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
I would look for anything that looks abnormal. Chains flopping around the cams not turning smooth.

It will also be a lot easier to pinpoint the knocking sound. If it is the phaser it will be obvious.

OP
OP
tdstuart

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
I dunno, I see a few marks on some of the lobes. Nothing terrible, but a sign debris may have gone by at one point.
The cams were previously used. I don't think they were 100% mark free when I installed them. The marks don't concern me too much.

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
@tdstuart
You haven't pulled the plugs for inspection and a cranking compression test ?
You're 100% sure the cam chain and cam sprockets are indexed/timed correctly ?

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
tdstuart

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
@tdstuart
You haven't pulled the plugs for inspection and a cold cranking compression test ?
You're 100% sure the cam chain and cam sprockets are timed correctly ?
No i have not yet.

And unless the cams jumped timing then I think they were timed correctly. I actually had to re-time it twice because I had to pull the cams off because I forgot the vct filters. I double checked that the timing marks were correct. Car also ran fine for 5.5k miles. I also upgraded to the boss tensioners so it should make it even less of a chance of the chains jumping timing.

OP
OP
tdstuart

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
Probably time to verify that just to cross it off the list.
Hard to do when I don’t have the timing cover off. The timing marks only align once every 4 or 8 rotations (can’t remember).

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
Hard to do when I don’t have the timing cover off. The timing marks only align once every 4 or 8 rotations (can’t remember).
Double check the Exh. and In. cam sprocket index.
Pull the harmonic balancer to gain a visual on the crank sprocket. ?

3-4 quarts low oil = possible momentary oil pressure loss = hydraulic tensioner collapsing = possible high rpm cam chain skip...... This is purely conjecture on my part.

Last edited:

Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
I think I'd crank it over and prove the phaser is working or not. Should be obvious.

If it is controlling the cam the engine needs to come apart so the other tests are mute.

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Confirmed it is the passenger side intake by unplugging them and seeing which code description matched up.

Car revs to about 8100. They are the stock vct solenoids and cam phasers. Totally possible the solenoid failed due to age / abuse.
8100rpm sound very high to revving this engine. No wonder it's making noises it's not supposed to.

OP
OP
tdstuart

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
Double check the Exh. and In. cam sprocket index.
Pull the harmonic balancer to gain a visual on the crank sprocket. ?

3-4 quarts low oil = possible momentary oil pressure loss = hydraulic tensioner collapsing = possible high rpm cam chain skip...... This is purely conjecture on my part.
It’s possible to pull balancer just a big pain in the ass for the reinstall. Easiest way would be to take out vct solenoids and rotate engine to verify secondary timing chain marks are correct. To verify primary you would probably need to pull the whole timing cover off not just the balancer.

The boss tensioners have a ratchet mechanism so even if they lost oil pressure they won’t lose tension. The secondary tensioners however are the standard oil pressure tensioners so it’s possible the secondary chain could have lost tension.

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
Pulled the valve covers off and don’t see anything suspicious.

I think I am going to replace the vct solenoid and see what that does.

The little sparkles on the vct phasers are just some dust that fell in when taking the valve covers off. I checked the oil that’s on the top of the head and didn’t see any metal in that.
4DD8AF0F-5094-4FB6-BC60-92E11DFE2747.jpeg

24481A20-7E0C-4391-8776-D1D789E63C75.jpeg

3FD63548-0BBE-427B-BA1B-773030D6850D.jpeg
Fyi you have at least 4 cam caps in the incorrect position. Pass side, exhaust from front to back 1-5, intake front to back 6-10. Large cap is obviously 1 and 6 simultaneously. All of the cam caps are machined in the original locations and should not be swapped around. This could be your oiling issue.

EDIT - I circled the 9 position but meant to circle the 7 position. Number 7 is obscured in all the photos.

4DD8AF0F-5094-4FB6-BC60-92E11DFE2747.jpeg

Last edited:

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)