Knock Knock. Who’s there? Rod.

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
That’s right I have successfully blown up my 2nd engine with only 5,500 miles!

Looks like the engine starved of oil and spun some bearings along with damaging at least one vct solenoid or camshaft.

Was doing a nice long pull and noticed engine stopped making power and I could hear the tone change, car also stopped accelerating. Let off and down shifted and the car started knocking. Pulled over but eventually drove to my house. Was hoping a vct solenoid just gave out (as that’s what the code showed) but when I pulled the dipstick there was no oil.

You could see oil on the bottom passenger side of the car along with on the passenger wheel and wheel well and even a little on the side of the car.

Haven’t been able to see what caused the massive oil leak but will check tomorrow.

Just sucks as I am now in college and after the last build have no money to spend on a new engine. May have to sell the car as is. I’ll keep y’all posted.

Update:
Wanted to update the main post for future readers. It looks like the engine lost at least one bearing. Tons of glitter in the oil. Cylinders were down on compression (150-160psi range) and one was a little lower. Couldn't find any oil leaks. My current guess is that the engine was actually burning oil, but it just wasn't noticeably burning it at idle so I never noticed. The engine was down about 4 quarts of oil. Been a little over 5k miles since the last oil change. My current plan is to pull the engine and asses the damages as I am worried there may be damage to the cylinder walls. May also replace the piston rings due to low compression numbers.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
tdstuart

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
May have just done a wold record breaking 2 N/A coyote engines in less than a year. Hopefully atleast this time I can blame someone else or an act of god. Hopefully it’s not my fault haha

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Details on the setup? Super unfortunate.

wazslow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS
Long high speed sustained runs are really hard on things. This is also the shortblock you bought from @engineermike and disassembled and reassembled, right? Perhaps the bearings didn't go back in the same places if you reused them?

OP
OP
tdstuart

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
Long high speed sustained runs are really hard on things. This is also the shortblock you bought from @engineermike and disassembled and reassembled, right? Perhaps the bearings didn't go back in the same places if you reused them?
Ya but the bearings probably starved from no oil. I highly doubt a rod punched a hole threw the block. Will have to Jack to car up today and see what caused the leak.

Sponsored

OP
OP
tdstuart

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
Details on the setup? Super unfortunate.
Gen 3 short block. Gen 2 heads. Head studs. Heads machine for 12.1:1 compression ratio. Stage 3 N/A comp cams. Ported 2018 intake, JLT cai, headers, e85. Plus a few random goodies and timing upgrades

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Gen 3 short block. Gen 2 heads. Head studs. Heads machine for 12.1:1 compression ratio. Stage 3 N/A comp cams. Ported 2018 intake, JLT cai, headers, e85. Plus a few random goodies and timing upgrades
So 5500 miles problem free, and then this happened. Guessing something failed that shouldn’t have.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Sorry to hear of your troubles. I’ve been there three times in life (one car and two motorcycles). If you can, take your time and rebuild a little at a time and come back slowly, but much stronger. Hopefully the block is still in great shape and you can at least salvage that.

OP
OP
tdstuart

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
So 5500 miles problem free, and then this happened. Guessing something failed that shouldn’t have.
Like I said it clearly experienced a major oil leak. And from what I saw last night it wasn’t oil filter or drain plug. So that leaves the engine putting a whole in the block, something putting a whole in the oil pan, or something else random.

wazslow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS
Ya but the bearings probably starved from no oil. I highly doubt a rod punched a hole threw the block. Will have to Jack to car up today and see what caused the leak.
I agree, not trying to place blame. Just if the clearances weren't right, a long high speed run could hurt it.

Sponsored

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
What tuner? What MPH were you at? What fuel? Sorry to hear

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
You mentioned the rear main seal was leaking after initial installation and start up.
What happened with that situation ?
If you windowed the block there was no driving it home.

OP
OP
tdstuart

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
You mentioned the rear main seal was leaking after initial installation and start up.
What happened with that situation ?
If you windowed the block there was no driving it home.
Looked like it was actually the coolant lines I added at the back of the head but they stopped leaking.

Prodigal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
In for the follow up on this.
Sponsored