Keyless entry failing on passenger door

Roger Blose

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 1988 Mustang GT, 2009 Lincoln MKZ
My 2018 GT just started to have a problem with the passenger door not unlocking with the keyless walk up feature. Driver's door work as it should. I tried each key fob but no difference. Any ideas before deciding to visit the dealer?
Sponsored

OP
OP

Roger Blose

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Vehicle(s)
I researched the forum here and it looks like the battery saver feature built into the BCM may cut out the passenger door keyless entry when voltage falls below some value. I just hooked up a battery tender to my car to see if overnight charging will again return this function. It has been cold here in the NE and I only drove my car today to charge the 4 year old original Motorcraft battery.

OP
OP

Roger Blose

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Vehicle(s)
I think that I have fixed my car's problem by resetting the BMS after some more researching. Once I reset the BMS , the passenger keyless entry has returned to working and the 10 minute interior lighting timer also works as it should. Two days in a row and all is good. Amazing car and skips a dealer visit!

OP
OP

Roger Blose

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Vehicle(s)
BMS reset.....here we go, Sit in the car and turn on the accessary mode by pushing the start button but not starting the engine. Next, flash the hi beam headlights 5 times quickly. Next press the brake pedal three times quickly. The battery dash light should blink confirming the reset. I am shocked how easy it was to perform. I have also learned that you may need to do this after installing a new battery.

Sponsored

gone_n_60

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Whit
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP Convertible
BMS reset.....here we go, Sit in the car and turn on the accessary mode by pushing the start button but not starting the engine. Next, flash the hi beam headlights 5 times quickly. Next press the brake pedal three times quickly. The battery dash light should blink confirming the reset. I am shocked how easy it was to perform. I have also learned that you may need to do this after installing a new battery.
Man! You sure there isn't wave the rubber chicken over the battery step too? LOL. Glad to know about that, wonder if it's buried in the manual somewhere.

o-man

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Oscar
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt
Thanks, worked like a champ!

OP
OP

Roger Blose

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Vehicle(s)
Here is another trick to reset the TPMS in our cars. Purchase a Motorcraft TPMS training tool online for about $25. Sit in the car and press the start button on but do not start the engine. Reach over and cycle the hazard light toggle switch three times until you hear the horn honk. There should be a message on the dash that says "train left front wheel". Go to the front left wheel and press and hold the training tool next to the valve stem and wait for the horn to honk. Proceed to go to each wheel in a clock wise direction until all wheels are reset. This is really helpful when rotating tires or installing fresh tires. This Ford training tool can be used on other Ford vehicles which is cost effective.

Mach VII

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 401A, 1989 Lincoln Mk VII LSC
I think that I have fixed my car's problem by resetting the BMS after some more researching. Once I reset the BMS , the passenger keyless entry has returned to working and the 10 minute interior lighting timer also works as it should. Two days in a row and all is good. Amazing car and skips a dealer visit!
My man, you have saved me a ton of time. On Saturday I started my car up at -11*F after sitting for a week and it almost didn't catch yet started though the digital dash settings reverted to default. On Sunday I went to my passengers door twice and it wouldn't unlock and I was like wtf.

I now know why :D p.s. I lived in Vacaville for a short time, 44 years ago.
Sponsored