Key Fob debacle

Revan9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ruan
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I bought a 2016 GT350 a year ago, great car literally love it. It came with only one key fob and during the seven hour drive home from purchasing it I engaged the "mykey" setting for the key fob. This prevented the car from using additional drive modes and to remedy this I bought a Bluetooth OBDII scanner and used the Forscan app to remove the "mykey" settings from the key fob, more on this later.

I went jogging over the weekend with my keys on a lanyard around my neck, at some point during the run the the plastic body of the key fob separated from the metal loop and it fell unbeknownst to me. I've walked the 4 mile routed several times and have been unable to find the key fob.

I ordered one replacement OEM fob and enlisted the help of a local locksmith. According to him, I will need 2 key fobs because the car is locked and the alarm ias activated. He said it has something to do with the PCM and the immobilizer. A local dealer told me that they'd try to program it, but that with only one key fob present the car would program the key as a "mykey" without all of the functionality. I told them that I had the scanner/Forscan app and they agreed that I'd possibly be able to remove it from the fob and drive the car normally.

Does anyone have experience programing a single key fob, to a mustang that requires a wipe of the current keys on a car that's locked and the alarm set? Thanks
Sponsored

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
Given your past problems I wouldn't try taking any short cuts.
Were it me I'd pay the local locksmith for a second fob including removing all stored keys, programing of both and cutting both emergency keys.
With 2 programed you can program a third/forth yourself if you want extra insurance.

MiamiGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just programmed a 2nd key for a friend's GT350 using Forscan. The latest version supports clearing all keys or programming additional ones. The download version on their site didn't work, failing with "service procedure interrupted." I reached out to them they gave me a test build version that worked fine.
https://forscan.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=25013&p=92003&hilit=Pats#p92003

He already had 2 keys in memory, and 1 key in hand. We added a new 3rd key, and then later cleared all keys to re-add the 2 keys in-hand.

Even with all keys cleared, getting to the "no key detected" screen was enough to have Forscan load and program the 1st key.

The process instructions in Forscan are a little confusing, but you are basically putting the keys in the cup slot and starting/stopping accessory mode without turning on the ignition.

Important: make sure you roll down the windows. You don't want to lock yourself out when the car doesn't see any keys. Also, you need internet access when programming.

This was all done using a known key, so I can't speak to what happens when you try it with just a fresh unprogrammed key. We also didnt attempt when the alarm was triggered. Each time we just started with the known key, so no idea if it needs to be a recognized one first.

Last edited:

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
It sounds like Forscan can program the fobs. But that still doesn't get the emergency key. I realize not everyone cares but they are important to me. I have the two in my fobs, one in the safe at home and one hidden on the exterior of the car. I will not ever have to call a locksmith to let me in the car whether the battery dies, the fob fails or I lock the fob in the car.

OP
OP

Revan9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ruan
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Given your past problems I wouldn't try taking any short cuts.
Were it me I'd pay the local locksmith for a second fob including removing all stored keys, programing of both and cutting both emergency keys.
With 2 programed you can program a third/forth yourself if you want extra insurance.
I followed this advice, glad to have access to the car again. Thanks to everyone who chimed in.
Sponsored