Sponsored

Ken Block & Kimi Raikkonen... & a little story.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
I have been a Formula One fan for 33 years...

It was a Thursday morning. I was 13 and walking the paddock of the Detroit Grand Prix with My uncle who had carte blanche anywhere because of Sponsors.

We had happened upon the team's garages, and at one of them We stepped in and I was interested in watching the mechanics scurry about, we got close enough so that I was rubber necking trying to look into the F1 car...

...as I was picked up from under the arm & lifted into the air...

...and heard a funny foreign voice behind me say something broken like "do best not to touch anything, sit..." ...

...as I was placed into the cockpit of a F1 car by a Robert Redford looking Findlander with a bushy mustache....

...whom happened to be KeKe Rosberg... !!

It was just moments later that in another garage another teamed fired up a car. I had never heard a F1 car until that moment... and I am sitting there with one in my hand... !! I can not even begin to explain it. The goosebumps and hairs on my body where fused with that concussive sound. I have been insane ever since. (Physics have become my religion.)

THAT^ ... was my FIRST TIME to any automobile race!!
(I win? :first: )

I have been hooked on road racing and formula one ever since.

To see what those cars could do in those streets, literally blew my teenage mind. Your eyes couldn't conceive of such awe inspiring man made things. These cars were not possible. The mind doesn't want to accept what you are seeing.

(Coincidentally, I grew up 5 miles from Detroit Dragway)

The Grand Prix itself was an incredible Cultural Event for me.

And over the past 33 years, Formula One Grand Prix remains a roaming World Fair. Because after all the hoopla and fanfare, it's own written formula eventually gets into your head. You learn whats possible and soon understand these drivers are some of the best athletes in the world, and are one step beyond fighter pilots.

That^ is why People trek all over the world
(19 Countries now?) Just to see these supermen, thrash these $200m machine around, engineered by some of the worlds greatest Engineers. They are pure machines themselves and superb athletes and again.. Formula One drivers are some of the most respected Drivers in the world. The epitome of human & machine. Most start their career at age 4 or 5.

Look all the ego & testosterone on display here:
[ame]

And for to guage, or order of magnatude, consider this; Michael Schumacher Net Worth is $800 million, that is more than LeBron James, Kyle Busch, Bret Favre, Sidney Crosby, Alex Rodriguez combined ...!!!!)

So anyways... :frusty:

Some Drivers, on their "off-time" from Formula One, race in other events and typically sit on the podium, whether it's 24 hours of Le Mans, or World Rally Championship, etc.. (Again in their "off time" from F1).

These guys can drive anything, because they are not human.

One of them is Kimi Riakkonen. (teh Iceman)

He is one of My favorites and is an insane driver. He holds the second highest record for total fastest laps in F1. He is a crazy Findlander (like them all), & grew up in the dirt backwoods of Finland. He a natural born rally star & his brother is a rally Champion.

Kimi is rather a different sort of guy, always analytical and Dr Spok'esque & somewhat dry. But again He is uber respected & fast.

This weekend Riakkonen was brought in to the Goodwood Festival of Speed, to try and break the over-all, all time record record....!(f'yeah), but while at the event, Ken Block and Kimi bumped into each other in passing... and that was caught on video.

Ken Block & Kimi Raikkonen:
[ame]

https://grrc.goodwood.com/festival-...mi-raikkonen-never-smiles#eoPU4FzBybcl5ELA.97

The meeting is also a RARE display for Kimi, as you never see him smile and at ease. It is also kinda kewl to see Kenny somewhat humbled and adjust to the room. Also note, that during the exchange you can hear Ken Block invite Raikkonen to come and try out his "new car?". (Meaning the new Focus RS, Mustang..? omgwtf..??)

Kimi has been known to try other forms of motor sports! He left Formula One to try "other" forms of racing, to see what else he could have a go at. I am not sure their over-all friendship but I wonder if after the cameras were turned off (as Kimi mentioned), if those two had a more relaxed exchange. It looked like He wanted to talk to ken more, but was bothered by the Lenses.

Personally, I would love to see Kimi & Ken Block both on a Ford Racing Team. Specially after Ford announced a new Le Mans challenge and Ford Racing new commitment & support for their stuff in autosports.

Lastly, if you ever a chance to attend a Formula One event, do so. And understand that Grand Prix's are NOT a one day thing. F1 events are 3-days. (Fri, Sat & Sun)

The Unites States Grand Prix held at the newly build Circuit of the Americas in Texas, held the last weekend in October.

Sorry if rambling, it has been a rainy day...!
Sponsored

Last edited:

madweazl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I just cant get into after the hybrid change. Part of the allure for me was the screaming engines but the V6 just doesnt do it for me. Combined with the lack of actual "racing," it is about the most boring form of motorsports to watch.

OP
OP
w3rkn

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
I just cant get into after the hybrid change. Part of the allure for me was the screaming engines but the V6 just doesnt do it for me. Combined with the lack of actual "racing," it is about the most boring form of motorsports to watch.
If you have not watched F1 in a few years, it is worth it again.

1.6 liters at 15,000rpms doesn't take away from the facts these cars pull concurrent switch backs @ 6gs. The lack of "actual" racing stems from you not understanding the formula and premise of the sport. (The betterment of human understanding and betterment of automotive applications)

00.08s means something at 209 MPH.

Not to mention the manufacturer's Ideas that are on the line. Egos are on the line. Billions are on the line...

Formula 1 is not the best TV spectator sport. It requires being informed with current events. As the sports is the epitome of dynamic racing. With new rules (and race tracks) from year to year. It is all part of the "formula". It is why we have anti-lock brakes and traction control today.

F1 has done a good job over the last 2~3 years in getting telemetry and data to fans on race day. NBCSports does a good job of coverage.

Sponsored

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
Been an F1 fan for many years, but I also dislike the new engines. For me, one of the best parts was the sound, and the new engines have totally lost the mind searing scream of years past. It is still the form of racing I watch most, but without that noise, some of the luster has been lost.

Very cool to see these two together. Interesting that they are so talented, yet neither had any luck in WRC. Just shows that in order to succeed, everything needs to fall into place at the right time.

Thanks for the great video, and intro story.

-T

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
Great post, but F1 just isn't for me. Don't doubt the talents of the drivers but it's just too much of an engineering challenge to be enjoyed as a sport.

The good thing is that when the lights go green you can go get a beer safe in the knowledge that you know the result :thumbsup:

Herr_Poopschitz

Nullius in verba
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Junk
"Leave me alone, I know what I'm doing"

"I was having a shit"

Kimi cracks me up. Was hoping he'd put Seb in his place this year, but no luck.

Enjoy watching older footage of James Hunt too as my avatar suggests.

Herr_Poopschitz

Nullius in verba
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Junk
Oh, for some of us here in the States, if there's anyway for you to get a hold of a Sky Sports F1 broadcast, do it. NBC Sports coverage is mediocre, at best.

Sponsored
OP
OP
w3rkn

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
"Leave me alone, I know what I'm doing"

"I was having a shit"

Kimi cracks me up. Was hoping he'd put Seb in his place this year, but no luck.

Enjoy watching older footage of James Hunt too as my avatar suggests.

Aye, James Hunt... cameras always pointed at him.

I think Kimi has problems with getting his car set up. Last week they supposedly nailed their feedback and communication down. He has 2 races to prove it. This weekend in Great Britain should be spectacular.

Also, who is the new America F1 team and who will their drivers be..? If Kimi leaves Ferrari, I hope he end up here.

Will ford ever get into F1 ?
I think a few years down the road, once Ford Performance gets their engineering down, they might push to that level.

Herr_Poopschitz

Nullius in verba
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Junk
Also, who is the new America F1 team and who will their drivers be..? If Kimi leaves Ferrari, I hope he end up here.
Haas F1. Not sure. I know they've kicked around Danica Patrick's name, but that's pure publicity. They need veteran F1 drivers...I've always thought the first woman driver would be Toto Wolff's wife Susie, who is a development driver for Williams, and cute too. I'd like to see them throw some $ at Nico Hulkenberg since his win at Le Mans. On the other hand, Ferrari may be tired of Kimi and be looking for a replacement as well.

Will ford ever get into F1 ?
I think a few years down the road, once Ford Performance gets their engineering down, they might push to that level.
Doubtful. At least not foreseeable future...
Sponsored