-Armoured-

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wolfgang
Vehicle(s)
Mazda RX7
Folks,

I'm in a bit of a situation where i can no longer enjoy a day out with the family in my beloved 5.0, as we now have a new member join our gang and we need 5 seats in total 😑.

I'm contemplating trading in (or selling private) the mustang and purchasing a model 3 dual motor tesla.

I can't do both for financial reasons, and I've got no room for 2 additional toys.

Am I making a mistake? Will I forever regret this decision?

The mustang is not a daily, and nor will the tesla. I've had it for nearly 3 years now and have just hit 5,850kms.

I'm lost. Guide me please...
Sponsored

Mustang madness2018

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Troy
Vehicle(s)
MY19, MUSTANG GT. AUTO, RUBY RED.
Sorry to say Wolfgang i think you may come to regret it if you sell the stang,
i sold my 2018 stang with only 6000k's on it with the idea of buying a 5 seater,
so i purchased a brand new 2019 ranger wildcat.
So to keep it short,by the time i had driven 50klm i started to get that feeling i just made the biggest mistake ever,my mind started to race and i started to sweat,and i just kept thinking WTF!!! have i just done.
trying to put my brain at ease i just kept saying it's early days i'll get over it give it time i'll get used to it,well after two days of no sleep and panic attacks now knowing i made a huge mistake i drove
back to the dealership and traded the wildtrack on a brand new 2019 Stang and instantly i new,
this was the right thing to do,the smile on my face and my body returning to back to normal was a great feeling of relief knowing i was back in a stang.
Now this was all in a 48hour period and 200klm on the clcok,i dont think i could have lasted any longer!! that sinking sinking feelling you get when you know you F@$ked up on selling something that you really wanted and $16,000 later just isn't worth it.
Just take your time and dont rush your decision or you may come to regret it just as i did.!!
If you are forced to sell,idé probly sell privately and only go down the trade in as a last resort.

Cheers.

OP
OP
-Armoured-

-Armoured-

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wolfgang
Vehicle(s)
Mazda RX7
I appreciate your feedback. I feel sick already lol. Maybe I can swap over the family car (rav4) for the tesla and keep the 5.0. I gotta see what I can get for the Rav...

I dont know. I'm lost.

Mustang madness2018

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Troy
Vehicle(s)
MY19, MUSTANG GT. AUTO, RUBY RED.
Yeah best to try every availiable option first,selling the rav4 would be better than selling the stang
if you could make it happen,parting with the stang would be a last resort.

Reactions: PKs

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
I appreciate your feedback. I feel sick already lol. Maybe I can swap over the family car (rav4) for the tesla and keep the 5.0. I gotta see what I can get for the Rav...

I dont know. I'm lost.
If the Tesla is going to be a weekender as well, then I don't see the point in trading the Mustang. As fast as a Tesla Model 3 is, they are very one-dimensional in how the engage the driver, I fear you would get bored of it real quick. Having had mine for over 5 years now, I'm still being engaged by the Mustang, they are multi layered machines that reward on so many levels. A Tesla is going to go real quick in a straight line but then what?

I'm not electric car or Tesla bashing here, they have their place but as a weekend fun car it doesn't really fit that brief. And if you wanted to take the whole family, then you already have the Rav4 for that.

I hope that helps.

Sponsored

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
The issue is the mustang doesn't fit us all. It's not getting driven due to that. 😞
Once upon a time we in Australia had the solution for that problem..............................a V8 Holden or Ford sedan. :frown:

What about a Kia Stinger? They are not brilliant to drive but they have some personality to them. Or a new WRX? Or left field, a Jaguar XE with the supercharged V6 engine.

StigyAus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Drive the Mustang to the Tesla dealer for a test drive. Give the throttle a blip before you turn it off and enjoy your smile.
Get in the Tesla, give the throttle a blip and check for smile.
Then, the big important one, get back in the Mustang after the test drive and check for smile. Within 30s of leaving the Tesla dealer you will know what the correct choice is.
And if saving the planet is anywhere on your list of reasons, do the world a favor and check out Volvo’s report. Until you hit 160000km, the Mustang is better for the planet.
Also the Mustang has a pretty big boot, and children are small aren’t they ..😜

BruceTheQuail

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Personally, I'd try to get a '14 model Jag XFR or if the budget went to it, a F Pace SVR. I had two of the XF's (4.2 and 5.0, but neither supercharged, but I then got an XKR with the supercharged 5.0 - just establishing my background knowledge), they are a fantastic, meaty car with a gorgeous interior. A little cramped for 3 passengers in the back, but not bad, beautiful as a daily drive.

The supercharged 5.0 is a bit on the thirsty side compared to the mustang, and the 6 speed auto is showing its age. Also the infotainment in the mustang is better, but overall it is a fantastic car with a lot of mongrel in it but oh so classy.

The Tesla is a fantastic car, but no sound, no gears, no joy. Who drives fast in a straight line these days? it is the future, though...

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
On the plus side for the Tesla, if you're young, will be good to get the worst mistake of your life behind you.

Sponsored

Bulutt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Cars are toys. Family ALWAYS comes first. While I personally would NOT get the Tesla (I just don't like them), buy a suitable family car for as long as you need it. After a shorter time than you think, you will be able to buy a used/new Mustang or other fun car. Been there, done that.

OP
OP
-Armoured-

-Armoured-

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wolfgang
Vehicle(s)
Mazda RX7
I've booked in a test drive/demo at Tesla. I'll report back.

Thanks for your replies folks. I really am not ready to let go of the 5.0. Lets see what happens.

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Congratulations on the new addition.

Might be worth trying to find a VFII SSV Redline/Calais or FGX XR6/8 - huge fun and very competent - although prices are pretty inflated at the moment. Something else to consider is a WN2 Caprice ie lots of room, massive boot and LS3. Or as suggested above a Stinger.

What do you want from your weekender? From what you've described it seems you can either keep the Mustang and get something with 5 seats as cheap and simple 'transport' that you can leave in the weather, or sell it and get something you like with 5 seats.

Since you seem to drive very little the former option seems workable? However if you're not ever in a position to just go for a drive without the whole team then selling it seems to be the way to go noting that rear seat occupant safety in our cars is a dismal fail.
Sponsored