Keep oil out of your intake. Mishimoto’s Direct-Fit Baffled Oil Catch Can R&D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mishimoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost, 2016 GT

The 2016 Mustang GT has arrived at Mishimoto, and we are wasting no time in developing products for Ford’s newest version of the Pony car. We decided to begin with a version of our baffled oil catch can specifically designed to be direct-fit with the Mustang GT.

Stock mustang parts

You would be doing your Coyote a favor by installing some type of catch can for preventative maintenance. Some feel that a catch can is not a necessity until you introduce forced induction, which may be the case. On the other hand every ounce of blow-by collected in a catch can is an ounce that is not heading back into your intake to kill fuel mileage, buildup on valves, and increase the risk of detonation.

Mishimoto’s Baffled Oil Catch Can was designed to trap virtually all blow-by from sneaking its way back into your intake. Our can is equipped with internal air diverters to direct airflow, a large baffle to catch and trap blow-by, and a 50 micron bronze filter to ensure that not a drop escapes into the intake.

Inside Mishimoto’s Compact Baffled Catch Can

We began with our tried-and-tested compact baffled oil catch can and designed a bracket to tuck it away in the GT’s engine bay. Check out some photos of the bracket being created in our engineering facility on our water jet at our engineering facility.

The waterjet cutting Mustang parts

Our engineers decided to locate the catch can out of the way in order to accommodate those who decide to add forced induction to their GT. This bracket allows our catch can to sit out of the way of other Mustang parts, making room for some of the larger turbo and supercharger kits. Check out some shots of the first prototype being test fitted on the S550.

Mustang Catch Can bracket prototype installed

Mustang Catch Can bracket prototype installed

Mustang catch can prototype installed with stock mustang parts

The next step was to decide on the prototype hose routing for the first round of testing. Check out some photos of the prototype catch can hoses installed on the Mustang GT.

Mustang catch can prototype hoses installed

Mustang catch can prototype hoses installed

Now that we have a prototype bracket and hose setup installed on the passenger side, we can begin testing! We want to make sure that our catch can traps a decent amount of blow-by to protect your Mustang GT effectively. We will also be designing and testing a driver-side catch can as well as additional Mustang parts. Check back for testing results and more information about the design of Mishimoto’s Mustang catch can system.

Thanks for Reading!
Sara
Sponsored

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2010 GT500, 2019 F-150 5.0
That is an excellent design!

Not a fan of the Red hoses, but the Can set-up is awesome!

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost, 2016 GT
That is an excellent design!

Not a fan of the Red hoses, but the Can set-up is awesome!
Thanks! We felt that red is easier to spot in development photos, but we are planning to offer them in blue and black in addition to red. Any other colors you are interested in seeing?

-Sara

jabrax

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2015 ruby red PP GT
Thanks! We felt that red is easier to spot in development photos, but we are planning to offer them in blue and black in addition to red. Any other colors you are interested in seeing?

-Sara
I assume this would fit 15 also?
Ruby Red would be nice :D

Jeffy_2010

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Vehicle(s)
2015 gt 6-speed/ performance pack Oxford white

-Sara
White hoses?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost, 2016 GT
I assume this would fit 15 also?
Ruby Red would be nice :D
Yes this would fit 2015+ Mustang GTs. Thanks for the feedback we do love the Ruby Red!

White hoses?
White is a bit on the tricky side but I will certainly make a note of this when it comes time to choose the final color offerings!

-Sara

LHousePhoto

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.lhousephotography.com
First Name
Lane
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT Premium - Performance Package
Vehicle Showcase
I spend a lot of time hands on with Mishimoto parts. The hoses are quite nice. I also like the bracket design. I may have to put one of these on my car if we ever carry them at work.

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost, 2016 GT
What kind of cost we looking at?
We are still not certain at this time, but we will have a better idea once the materials are finalized. However, we will be running a pre-sale at a discount for forum members when the time comes to release. I will keep you all updated when we get closer!

I spend a lot of time hands on with Mishimoto parts. The hoses are quite nice. I also like the bracket design. I may have to put one of these on my car if we ever carry them at work.
Thanks for the kind words!

-Sara

kray

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT 2014 Edge 2013 F150
If this is built anything like their coolant expansion tank I will want one. The Mishimoto coolant tank is awesome! Best thing I ever did getting rid of that ugly milk jug looking tank. Good job Mishimoto!

Sponsored

redline727

Thread Killer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rocky
Vehicle(s)
2021 Oxford White Mustang GT
Definitely want one, all black everything... Looks like a nice setup. Wonder how easy it is to empty.

Poppacapp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT

-Sara
Looks good! As far as colors go, I would look into the feasability of offering hoses to match the Ford colors available on the Mustangs. You would pick up alot of sales based on the car show crowd color matching alone.

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost, 2016 GT
If this is built anything like their coolant expansion tank I will want one. The Mishimoto coolant tank is awesome! Best thing I ever did getting rid of that ugly milk jug looking tank. Good job Mishimoto!
Thanks for the kind words!

Definitely want one, all black everything... Looks like a nice setup. Wonder how easy it is to empty.
Our current setup is fairly easy to empty by removing the bracket or unscrewing the catch can. I will make sure to post more photos when we empty our can after testing.

Looks good! As far as colors go, I would look into the feasability of offering hoses to match the Ford colors available on the Mustangs. You would pick up alot of sales based on the car show crowd color matching alone.
Thanks for the feedback! It would be difficult to create hoses that exactly match Mustang colors, but we considered offering additional colors to the ones that we have now. I'm guessing you would like to see yellow?

Great design... awesome stuff.
Thank you!

-Sara
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.