Sponsored

Keep my verus diffuser or get the new GT350 add on strakes

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Should I keep my verus diffuser and modify it (something I'm not looking forward to) or sell it at some sorta loss and buy the gt350 add on strakes.

I'll be honest, looks wise, I think the modified diffuser wins.

Functionality, who knows. It looks like the diffuser has one more strake (than comes with the gt350 kit). Also, the 350 kit seems to have the interior strakes curved outward, so I'm wondering if that's more optimal than the straight strakes on the GT version

Thoughts?
Sponsored

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Well, performance wise you wont see any difference

Kobi Addiction

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT350
Just modify the diffuser and install. I can help you with the modification when you are ready. I've done 3 so far and have the modification down fairly well. I can provide you with pictures to help.

2JZFAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 AG GT350
Should I keep my verus diffuser and modify it (something I'm not looking forward to) or sell it at some sorta loss and buy the gt350 add on strakes.

I'll be honest, looks wise, I think the modified diffuser wins.

Functionality, who knows. It looks like the diffuser has one more strake (than comes with the gt350 kit). Also, the 350 kit seems to have the interior strakes curved outward, so I'm wondering if that's more optimal than the straight strakes on the GT version

Thoughts?
Performance wise, you won't notice a difference. Looks, I agree.. the full Verus piece is much better looking. IMO, modify what you have and enjoy it. My main concern would be ground clearance between the two.. I know some guys have issues with the full piece scraping.

what are strakes?
Verus Engineering seems to be revisiting the GT350, they recently released two videos of new products. First were dual-element front dive plane/canards and most recently, these strakes for the oe rear diffuser:

verus_strakes_01.jpg

verus_strakes_02.jpg

verus_strakes_03.jpg

verus_strakes_04.jpg

All Verus Engineering Products Discussed So Far:
Rear Diffuser Strake Kit - Ford Mustang Shelby GT350/GT350R | 189.95
Rear Diffuser - Ford Mustang (S550) Unmodified for GT350 Cooler Ducts | 559.95
Dual-Element Dive Plane (Canard) Kit - Ford Mustang Shelby GT350/GT350R | 499.95

Sponsored

OP
OP
Angrey

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Just modify the diffuser and install. I can help you with the modification when you are ready. I've done 3 so far and have the modification down fairly well. I can provide you with pictures to help.
That would be awesome, if you don't mind posting up pics for everyone to see, that would be helpful. I'm pretty sure I can cut with my dremel (and I have a grinder with a cutting wheel if it gets to that) but I'm pretty unsure about removing rivets or reinstalling rivets. And I'm cautious about how to line it all up/jig it so it bolts in with no issues after the modifications.

OP
OP
Angrey

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Performance wise, you won't notice a difference. Looks, I agree.. the full Verus piece is much better looking. IMO, modify what you have and enjoy it. My main concern would be ground clearance between the two.. I know some guys have issues with the full piece scraping.

Verus Engineering seems to be revisiting the GT350, they recently released two videos of new products. First were dual-element front dive plane/canards and most recently, these strakes for the oe rear diffuser:

verus_strakes_01.jpg

verus_strakes_02.jpg

verus_strakes_03.jpg

verus_strakes_04.jpg

All Verus Engineering Products Discussed So Far:
Rear Diffuser Strake Kit - Ford Mustang Shelby GT350/GT350R | 189.95
Rear Diffuser - Ford Mustang (S550) Unmodified for GT350 Cooler Ducts | 559.95
Dual-Element Dive Plane (Canard) Kit - Ford Mustang Shelby GT350/GT350R | 499.95

I haven't had time to soak through what testing/reporting they make available to see if the coefficients are the same. I have a hard time believing the pressure effects are identical between the 2. Perhaps the curved strakes on the GT350 kit are more optimal than the straight strakes (but more of them) on the GT screen. I'm curious as to whether they did that to get more effect to the outside (with end strakes not there) or if they just discovered it's a more effectual arrangement.

As far as the depth goes, the thickness of the horizontal pan metal isn't significant, so unless the strakes are a different height/depth, scraping should be similar or the same for both. Again, someone would need to measure to confirm.

I definitely like the idea of cheaper cost and easier replacement for the GT350 add on strakes. If you jack up the strakes on the GT pan, swapping them out or scabbing on material on is definitely more involved.

Kobi Addiction

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT350
That would be awesome, if you don't mind posting up pics for everyone to see, that would be helpful. I'm pretty sure I can cut with my dremel (and I have a grinder with a cutting wheel if it gets to that) but I'm pretty unsure about removing rivets or reinstalling rivets. And I'm cautious about how to line it all up/jig it so it bolts in with no issues after the modifications.
Dremel works fine with metal cutting wheels, you can find them at your local Home Depot. Your standard cutting pliers cuts through the metal rivets from the OE diffuser to remove the OE plastic NACA duct. Use the unused part of the OE diffuser to create a cardboard template so you can transfer over to the Verus Diffuser for cutting.

Measure from the heat exchanger to where the end of the Verus Diffuser gets bolted up and trim the plastic NACA duct accordingly. From here you can either rivet onto the Verus, or glue on.....I decided to glue on to keep air flow as smooth as possible running under the Diffuser. You will need to score the metal diffuser and the plastic NACA duct to rid of the smooth surface. This ensures the two pieces adhere together with the JB Weld.

IMG_8432_Original.jpg

IMG_8433_Original.jpg

IMG_1099.jpg

IMG_8438_Original.jpg

IMG_1101.jpg

33800DFB-5211-4D06-8591-8BE8C46C5A91.JPG

IMG_8449_Original.jpg

IMG_8603.jpg
IMG_8439_Original.jpg

IMG_8466.jpg

Shelby GT350 12.jpg

OP
OP
Angrey

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Dremel works fine with metal cutting wheels, you can find them at your local Home Depot. Your standard cutting pliers cuts through the metal rivets from the OE diffuser to remove the OE plastic NACA duct. Use the unused part of the OE diffuser to create a cardboard template so you can transfer over to the Verus Diffuser for cutting.

Measure from the heat exchanger to where the end of the Verus Diffuser gets bolted up and trim the plastic NACA duct accordingly. From here you can either rivet onto the Verus, or glue on.....I decided to glue on to keep air flow as smooth as possible running under the Diffuser. You will need to score the metal diffuser and the plastic NACA duct to rid of the smooth surface. This ensures the two pieces adhere together with the JB Weld.

IMG_8432_Original.jpg

IMG_8433_Original.jpg

IMG_1099.jpg

IMG_8438_Original.jpg

IMG_1101.jpg

33800DFB-5211-4D06-8591-8BE8C46C5A91.JPG

IMG_8449_Original.jpg

IMG_8603.jpg
IMG_8439_Original.jpg

IMG_8466.jpg

Shelby GT350 12.jpg
This is fantastic! If I'm ever in Htown again I'll buy you a beer.

OP
OP
Angrey

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
How did you determine how far forward the ducts need to sit in order to line up properly when you bolt up the JB welded assembly/pair? (i.e. how did you determine how much material you need to cut off the ducts to scoot them up against the front lip of the diffuser?

Sponsored

Kobi Addiction

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT350
How did you determine how far forward the ducts need to sit in order to line up properly when you bolt up the JB welded assembly/pair? (i.e. how did you determine how much material you need to cut off the ducts to scoot them up against the front lip of the diffuser?
You need to dry fit the Verus Diffuser onto the car. Measure from the rear differential heat exchanger to the back end of the Verus Diffuser. Thats where the NACA duct is headed towards. Once you have your measurement you can make your cuts.

My end measurement was 18" for the plastic NACA duct length. I cut off 3-3/4" from the end of the NACA duct. I'm sure that's what yours will end up being, but I recommend taking your own measurements and verifying before you make any cuts.

It's a process, takes me a couple days. One day to cut, touch-up the cuts with paint, glue down the ducting and let it cure overnight. The following day is when I install.

mavisky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Keep the GT one. One of the main advantages of the Verus diffuser is closing off the sections of the bottom that would allow airflow to reach the rear bumper. I don't see the strakes they offer for the factory piece doing much of anything. At the end of the day the factory piece isn't meant to be a diffuser as much as it is to feed the rear diff cooler and reduce drag to some end.

The strakes would certainly be less work, but you'd also get less result in my opinion as they leave the entire area under the mufflers open to create drag where the larger diffuser actually covers the bottom of all of that. Paired with my SBS side ABS side splitters I get almost complete coverage of the entirety of the rear bumper to reduce drag when paired with the Verus diffuser.

50737045298_d0c0b5fa63_o.jpg