Sponsored

****Katzkin leather seats from Moddiction. Tons of colors and materials to choose!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rich of So Cal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Prem/auto - triple yellow convert
am I the only one????

the only one struggling with this install, that is.

Almost done with the top of drivers seat, but stuck with the air bag connection. The fit is so tight (yes, I know I keep saying that...but it is) that I have to pull the seat leather all the way down and reach up to connect the two plastics of the seat belt ribbon, which barely come together in the back. As far as I can tell, I have correctly routed them back, one thru the slot in the foam and the other around the side and under the side foam.

I have studied the old ones to see how they connect, but everytime I line them up they just won't click together. Plus I doubt if I can pull up the Katzins without ripping them again (like the seat bottom). I think they sent me one size too small...or sewed these on a Friday at 4:30.

Any tips would be appreciated. I can tell the edges of the ribbons are starting to shred. Not a good thing.

I guess I will have to pull it up and hope it doesn't rip. :frusty::frusty:
Sponsored

OP
OP
Moddiction

Moddiction

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
It is a tight fit with those ribbons but shouldn't be that bad if routed correctly. Everything is very tight as it has to be to look good once installed but the install over all went really smoothly for me. Probably about a 4 hour install total.

thet33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT/6MT/3.55
Took me A LOT longer. Not ashamed. I did my back seats one weekend, drove around during the work week with no passenger seat (weight reduction, bro), then did the other two seats over the next weekend so I could just do one a day. It was definitely a chore but better than paying for an install in the long run.

Rich of So Cal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
It is a tight fit with those ribbons but shouldn't be that bad if routed correctly. Everything is very tight as it has to be to look good once installed but the install over all went really smoothly for me. Probably about a 4 hour install total.
4 hours! are you making fun of me or what! I've spent an hour just on this ribbon. the rear seats I did in one afternoon. this first front seat has been 2 days so far. these are much tighter than the stock seats, and the stock fit just fine. Except for the seat belt holder and playing with the post removal, they were easy to take off. These I am afraid of removing these because the bottom is so snug. I though it was going to rip while I was working down from the top. My old ones were not loose at all, but they were not like this.

The thought just occurred to me. I wonder if they allowed for the extra foam for my seat coolers :shrug:

Rich of So Cal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
finally

well, it is pretty chewed up, but I finally got the airbag ribbons to connect. I had to work in a pair of pliers to grab one side while I forced the connection until it finally clicked. I think the connectors were warped. When I do the next seat I will check them before install to make sure they click easily. BTW my stock connectors were fine. I tried them several times while trying to get the Katzins to work.

Now to finish up this seat, at last.

I believe that I too, will drive around with just the drivers seat for a few days. Got to get back to some other projects.

Sponsored

car

Car
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT550 2018
have you tried a steamer? looks good tho.

lucasszy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lucas
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT - 6MT
Driver seat.... almost two days of putzing around with every single section.

Dont be bothered if its taking a long time.. Took me longer than anyone else...I'll assume.

The airbag ribbon alone took a few hours. I ended up pulling the leather off of the seat twice to get the ribbon on right.

What I noticed at the end was that the ribbon was stitched backwards on the katzkin leather. Meaning the teeth faced INWARDS, whereas they faced up and out on the original setup.

They were also, possibly a tad shorter, since once I had the ribbon on, it was very tight.

Routing that ribbon was very hard. It was too short. It was stitched backwards. It was a pain.

Passenger seat. About two hours, and it looks a tad noticeably better. Damn, I wish I had someone else's car to practice on before doing mine.

Rich of So Cal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)

Dont be bothered if its taking a long time.. Took me longer than anyone else...I'll assume.

The airbag ribbon alone took a few hours. I ended up pulling the leather off of the seat twice to get the ribbon on right.

What I noticed at the end was that the ribbon was stitched backwards on the katzkin leather. Meaning the teeth faced INWARDS, whereas they faced up and out on the original setup.

They were also, possibly a tad shorter, since once I had the ribbon on, it was very tight.

Routing that ribbon was very hard. It was too short. It was stitched backwards. It was a pain.

Passenger seat. About two hours, and it looks a tad noticeably better. Damn, I wish I had someone else's car to practice on before doing mine.
At last, an honest man! My experience was like yours...exactly. I think you are on to something re that air bag ribbon. I just hope it still works.

Well, I have the drivers seat installed, passenger seat and headrests still to do. But at least I can drive the car now. If I get a passenger they can sit in back and stretch out their legs. :clap2:

Sponsored

Rich of So Cal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
The airbag ribbon alone took a few hours. I ended up pulling the leather off of the seat twice to get the ribbon on right.What I noticed at the end was that the ribbon was stitched backwards on the katzkin leather. Meaning the teeth faced INWARDS, whereas they faced up and out on the original setup.
Now I am halfway through doing the passenger seat. Almost to the dreaded airbag ribbons. It's still a pain, but at least it's a familiar one, so it is going a little faster than the first seat.

Has anyone done their door panels yet??:ninja:

Rich of So Cal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Ok, passenger seat is done and ready to reinstall. Then I can troubleshoot the airbag light and non running cooling drivers seat issues. :headbonk:

And yes, I did disconnect the battery both for removal and for reinstall. I am hoping it is just a poorly seated connector. The electric seat adjust and lumber adjust both work fine.

thet33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So you had both seats in and the airbag light previously?

Rich of So Cal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
it works!

So you had both seats in and the airbag light previously?
No, I drove with just one front seat in and had an airbag light. Also, the seat cooler fans were not running.

But now, everything works! I guess it takes both seats for those two items, but not for the seat adjust. Go figure. :shrug:

So I am done, except for the headrest covers (but they are installed) and the door panels.

thet33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yea was gonna say you just need the other seat in, same thing happened the week I drove around with no passenger seat. Good luck on door panels, I'm don't have the stones to tackle that myself.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.