Sponsored

****Katzkin leather seats from Moddiction. Tons of colors and materials to choose!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smarz1018

ScubaSteve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang Eco-boost
anyone try these on a set of recaros yet?
Sponsored

lucasszy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lucas
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT - 6MT
Has anyone done their door panels? Thats what I want to know!

Rich of So Cal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Prem/auto - triple yellow convert
HELP!

I am completely stuck and frustrated by 1 obstacle and hope someone can help. I can't take the front seat material off until it is solved.

NOTE: It's a convertible thing.

1. The convertibles don't have a seat belt strap. They have a plastic guide attached to the top shoulder of the seat. I was able to remove a trim cover and take out one bolt. However, there is another bolt under the inboard side that I can't get to. I managed to pry the piece covering that side a bit, but it won't completely come out and I am just chewing up the plastic trying to remove it.
I have searched the forums and googled, but apparently no one have posted anything about this.

Until I solve these issues my living room is crowded with mustang seats.

Last edited by Rich of So Cal; Today at 11:30 AM. Reason: 1st problem solved
:headbonk::headbonk::headbonk:

Last edited:

Rich of So Cal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
got it....finally

I got it loose, but it's not pretty. Even though I now see how it is attached, it will still not be easy to remove the second one or to reinstall them. Very poor design! It's like they assume no one would ever take it apart, or if they did, they would just buy new pieces. I pounded on it until it popped out. Then I could see a flat metal strap with a metal tab under the end that goes into the belt holder. The proper removal appears to be to force a narrow flat bladed screw driver under that strap and pound on it until the tab goes up enough to let you pull the whole thing out, then unscrew the second bolt.

Needless to say, there are many scratches in the plastic parts. But at least I didn't damage my take off leathers.....yet.

UPDATE: I was able to get the second one apart easier, knowing where the locking tab was. After taking off the cover and removing the first bolt, I poked a screwdriver under the other side, past the seat leather, and moved it around prying upward until the hidden steel tab unlocked and the piece slide away revealing the second bolt.

Last edited:

lucasszy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lucas
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT - 6MT
I got it loose, but it's not pretty. Even though I now see how it is attached, it will still not be easy to remove the second one or to reinstall them. Very poor design! It's like they assume no one would ever take it apart, or if they did, they would just buy new pieces. I pounded on it until it popped out. Then I could see a flat metal strap with a metal tab under the end that goes into the belt holder. The proper removal appears to be to force a narrow flat bladed screw driver under that strap and pound on it until the tab goes up enough to let you pull the whole thing out, then unscrew the second bolt.

Needless to say, there are many scratches in the plastic parts. But at least I didn't damage my take off leathers.....yet.
Doing my interior I also realized that its all designed to be assembled once and then, most likely, never disassembled for any reason.

Ford probably assumes the average owner would just end up buying new seats... Not going for a custom color, etc.

Sponsored

daytripper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13GT500,'15 GT
How do I design the seats? I tried the link and it seems to go nowhere.
The Katzkins website isnt very helpful.You need to go to a dealer.They have all the color & material samples.They also know the proper terminology to use when ordering so you get what you want.

thet33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT/6MT/3.55
Snapped some quick pics in the garage. Sorry for low light and quality...

[MENTION=19254]Moddiction[/MENTION] on the 2nd and 3rd pics you can see an area where it looks like the light color from the wings was oversprayed (?) onto the bottom seat cushion. Does anyone know of a way to safely try to remove that?

Also I could not figure out how to get the side plastic trim on perfectly. When I would try to slide to get the brackets perfect I couldn't get the back, rounded piece on, and when I tried to get the back piece on first, I couldnt get it to move up enough in the front to slide onto tabs. Drove me crazy :frusty: . I haven't broke anything YET... any tricks someone can offer?

[MENTION=19254]Moddiction[/MENTION] Should I contact Katzkin directly to see if there is a remedy or resolution? I don't want to try to get it off and end up damaging the seats and not get covered under warranty. But it's kind of an eyesore in person.

OP
OP
Moddiction

Moddiction

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
[MENTION=19254]Moddiction[/MENTION] Should I contact Katzkin directly to see if there is a remedy or resolution? I don't want to try to get it off and end up damaging the seats and not get covered under warranty. But it's kind of an eyesore in person.
I can email Katzkin and see what they say. Sorry to see that!

Sponsored
OP
OP
Moddiction

Moddiction

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
One seat to go. I'm sure driver side will go MUCH quicker. Took my time to make sure everything lined up etc.

Hopefully I'll have a free hour or two tomorrow to do driver side.

Rich of So Cal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Ripped!

These Katzkins are sooo tight, I got a nice rip in the bottom rear corner stitching. Can hardly fit the foam inside it. I am afraid it is going to rip even more, since it is just vinyl. :(

I don't know how anyone has been having them fit loosely. I can barely get them stuffed as they are. Do these shrink from sitting too long in the box??

Rich of So Cal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
bottomed out

Ok, I got the seat bottom, driver's side, done. Funny, I thought the top of the seat was going to be the hard part, but I was wrong. The bottom fits so tight, it was far more difficult than I expected. As I said above, I did get a rip while pulling some of the Katzkin strapping between the upper and lower seats. The rear corner ripped as the over-stuffed foam shifted. It still doesn't fit well at that spot. Not like the stock seats did.

Also, and unrelated to the rip, I misrouted the 2 velcro-connected straps and took about an hour to get them out and back thru where they were supposed to go. There is absolutely no play in the sides against the seat frame underneath. The foam pushes hard against it. I was finally able to coax it thru using a dull bladed knife (I think it's a clam or oyster knife, but not sure, since I don't eat the slimy things. lol).

Now I have to find a torx 6 bit to do my seat cooling mod before I put on the upper part of the seat. So many mods, so little time! :doh:

Rich of So Cal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
looking good

Now that I have had time to lick my cuts and bruised fingers, and sit and look at my handiwork, I have to admit...it does look good!

The bottom fits nice and tight. In spite of the tear, which is in a spot that will be covered by the backing wrap..I like it. I will probably just throw a few stitches on that corner to be safe, before I wrap it up.

So, tomorrow bright and early, I will start again and see how much I can finish in a day. At least if I get the driver's seat completed, I can drive again. :clap2::clap2:

OP
OP
Moddiction

Moddiction

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Just finished up the install. Little loose on the sides in a couple spots but should tighten up after a little time to bake in the sun. Came out great I think. Few parts are a pain but over all pretty straightforward to do.

2nd set would probably take only 2-3 hours at most. This set with stopping probably took me like 4 hours.

Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.