Sponsored

****Katzkin leather seats from Moddiction. Tons of colors and materials to choose!

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
Moddiction

Moddiction

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
We can take orders now without a group buy. Pricing is very close to what it was for group buy now just no wait time to fill group buy. Since we sold as many kits as we did katzkin locked us in to good pricing for mustangs.

Rich of So Cal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Prem/auto - triple yellow convert
convertible back seat poor design

I am not too thrilled with the back seat, compared to my stock leathers.

Specifically, on the stock seats there are two plastic strips sewn in at near the top of the upper seat, but out of sight, and on the very back. They allow the plastic push pins to hold the felt material to the seat structure. However, the Katzkin versions does not have anything at those spots, just felt. I am not convinced that felt is going to be enough to hold the pins in place without ripping, especially since they are so tight.

I don't know how the coupe version, with its split seat, compares.

They did sew the very end into a sleeve that would seem to allow a plastic stip to be inserted, but they did not include one, and the two on the stock seats are stitched in. Removing them would likely destroy them, and would make the old leathers unusable. :shrug:

Rich of So Cal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
workaround

I am not too thrilled with the back seat, compared to my stock leathers.

Specifically, on the stock seats there are two plastic strips sewn in at near the top of the upper seat, but out of sight, and on the very back. They allow the plastic push pins to hold the felt material to the seat structure. However, the Katzkin versions does not have anything at those spots, just felt. I am not convinced that felt is going to be enough to hold the pins in place without ripping, especially since they are so tight.

I don't know how the coupe version, with its split seat, compares.

They did sew the very end into a sleeve that would seem to allow a plastic stip to be inserted, but they did not include one, and the two on the stock seats are stitched in. Removing them would likely destroy them, and would make the old leathers unusable. :shrug:
Everything went smoothly until the rear seat back. In the convertible it's one long piece with mostly plastic pins holding everything in place and it's a bear to make the holes in the felt and pull the material tight enough to fasten.

I am skipping the upper strip entirely. The only place to put pins through would be to punch holes in the vinyl, which I am reluctant to do. So I have been stretching the sewn border of the felt piece to the pin holes located about halfway down the back of the seat. I'm using a drill to make the holes through the doubled felt seam. It seems to be strong enough to hold the material in place. Time will tell. I have to do each pin twice...once with the tight top material, then I unfasten them one at a time to add in the overlapping flap at the bottom. I tried to do them at the same time, but it was impossible to hold the upper flap tight and slip in the lower flap. This is time consuming, but is working so far.

Having a convertible made seat removal pretty easy, but this odd ball back seat is cancelling that with added frustration. There has got to be a better design.

Guess I won't get to the front seats today. :(

Stam616

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 51A Mag Gray Metallic
How do I design the seats? I tried the link and it seems to go nowhere.

Sponsored

Rich of So Cal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
whew

OK, I got the rear seats replaced and reinstalled in the car. It looks right. Very tight fit, but looks good. I still need a few karate chops to get the velcro seams to settle in, but otherwise the rear is done!

Hope to get to the front seats on Wednesday. I am also doing a cooling seat modification at the same time. Should be interesting. :frusty::headbonk:

soldier989

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Premium
(For the right price, I may be in the market for some OEM leather take-offs, if someone replaced them with these katzkins. PM me)

lucasszy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lucas
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT - 6MT
I will admit that I broke one tab on the seat side plastic housing. Very frustrating, as I know that the housing doesnt sit right.

I may buy a replacement part.

Otherwise, I'll do a brief write up addendum on the install thread.

Overall, the process went amazing well, after I did one side.

Here is the big question for everyone.

On the backs of the seats. Did everyone cut out the seat recline holes? I didt not. I like how the back of the seat looks without the big pull handle. Im OK with reclining the seat with the side control.

ALSO, on the back of the head rest.. I didnt cut out the hole for the hook. I think its a silly place for a clothing hook.

I still need to backfill the headrests with some shaped foam, but overall Im done. I'd love to see some pics of how people cut the leather for the rear recline pull.

Cutting the leather for the headrest posts was the most scary thing.

thet33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT/6MT/3.55
I cut out the reclining lever hole for the backseat but not the clothes hanger hook on the headrest.

Sponsored

lucasszy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lucas
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT - 6MT
This thread is NOTHING without Pictures.

Post them up folks!

EddieGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, 2012 Challenger SRT8, 67 Fastback
I cut out both. I debated whether or not to do the clothing hook. But, I decided to it and I must admit it looks more finished that way. I know it sounds stupid but I feel it looks more factory that way. And the same goes for the seat-back. It looks more complete with it done.

thet33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT/6MT/3.55
Snapped some quick pics in the garage. Sorry for low light and quality...

[MENTION=19254]Moddiction[/MENTION] on the 2nd and 3rd pics you can see an area where it looks like the light color from the wings was oversprayed (?) onto the bottom seat cushion. Does anyone know of a way to safely try to remove that?

Also I could not figure out how to get the side plastic trim on perfectly. When I would try to slide to get the brackets perfect I couldn't get the back, rounded piece on, and when I tried to get the back piece on first, I couldnt get it to move up enough in the front to slide onto tabs. Drove me crazy :frusty: . I haven't broke anything YET... any tricks someone can offer?
Sponsored

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.