Just used Boostane - felt a nice difference in stock GT350R

NHMustangGuy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
stephen
Vehicle(s)
1965 GT350, 2017 GT350R, 2022 Toyota Sienna
Hey Everyone, I mixed 16 OZ with 93 - in theory that should give me 100 Octane. it literally chirps the tires in 1st and 2nd now. Nice improvement in under WOT and overall responsiveness.
Sponsored

Postal Bob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
Don't know what's in Boostane, but the manual gives a warning about using octane boosters:

Fuels containing the octane booster additive, methylcyclopentadienyl manganese tricarbonyl (MMT). • Leaded fuel, using leaded fuel is prohibited by law.

OP
OP
NHMustangGuy

NHMustangGuy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
stephen
Vehicle(s)
That's correct, there is a specific call out to an ingredient, Boostane has that covered so I felt comfortable using it.

Red65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red 1965 Coupe, 2017 Premium MT GT
Higher octane fuel physically make's less power/per amount of fuel (I say per amount of fuel because it doesn't change the gasoline molecule specifically) than lower octane due to how octane affects flame front for detonation resistance. If you're feeling a power increase from increasing octane, you may want to look into where you fill up. There's a chance you've been getting some bad fuel and your knock sensor is pulling timing normally under WOT. Adding the octane booster is probably helping that in that case.

This is just a guess but gaining HP from adding octane booster whenever the engine was running 100% properly prior to the octane booster has been busted many times over.

Cav427

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Chirps the tires? Mine spins 'em going from 1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd and chirps going into 4th... Only 91 Octane. Do you have an auto? Wouldn't think it would Without dyno runs or track times with consistent runs you really can't determine if there are any real HP or Torque gains.

Sponsored

matthewr87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Chirps the tires? Mine spins 'em going from 1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd and chirps going into 4th... Only 91 Octane. Do you have an auto? Wouldn't think it would Without dyno runs or track times with consistent runs you really can't determine if there are any real HP or Torque gains.
Sir, this is the GT350 forum. We do not have any low RPM torque and our engines explode on a daily basis. We do not spin anything in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, or 6th except our FPC, which then explodes.

OP
OP
NHMustangGuy

NHMustangGuy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
stephen
Vehicle(s)
Hi, it's a GT350 so it has a stick and it's not a TQ monster at all, it's NA and all I'm saying is I feel a difference. I don't know why or how, but I know my BUTT Dyno say's it pulls harder between 6 and 7500 RPM. lots of fun....

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
Hey Everyone, I mixed 16 OZ with 93 - in theory that should give me 100 Octane. it literally chirps the tires in 1st and 2nd now. Nice improvement in under WOT and overall responsiveness.
Hi, it's a GT350 so it has a stick and it's not a TQ monster at all, it's NA and all I'm saying is I feel a difference. I don't know why or how, but I know my BUTT Dyno say's it pulls harder between 6 and 7500 RPM. lots of fun....
Your butt dyno need to be recalibrated
Classic placebo effect …..

Sponsored

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
You're murdering your cats and possibly accelerating the life of your 02 sensors.

Boostane contains MMT, which is no bueno for catalytic converters (or 02 sensors).
I’ve used MMT for over 25 years on many applications with 02 sensors and converters with zero harm. Many have. Other than the Orange residue, it’s virtually harmless to O2 and cats. Now leaded fuels is what you don’t want to run a lot in non diluted amounts…….

Boostane works and is pretty much proven to cause zero failures to O2’s and catalytic converters.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
This is just a guess but gaining HP from adding octane booster whenever the engine was running 100% properly prior to the octane booster has been busted many times over.
Maybe in the olden days with basic ECUs, but the Coyote ECU is pretty sophisticated and can definitely provide a benefit on its own with higher octane gas.

The main spark adjustment table has a +10*/-10* swing over the base tables. During normal operation, there's only a few degrees added here. By using a higher octane fuel that spark adjustment can be anywhere from 5-10* higher than on 93, so it's definitely not just a placebo effect.

Also higher octane fuel provides more benefit in hotter weather when 93 octane struggles to run max timing due to higher CHT and IATs. So in the summer its definitely believable that the OP noticed a power bump.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
All coyote's are octane limited due to compression. VooDoo's are coyotes.

Without the electronics you need 100 octane to run 11 to 1. 12 needs 104 min.

So yes you should get real improvements in power with proper octane fuel in these engines.

Red65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red 1965 Coupe, 2017 Premium MT GT
Maybe in the olden days with basic ECUs, but the Coyote ECU is pretty sophisticated and can definitely provide a benefit on its own with higher octane gas.

The main spark adjustment table has a +10*/-10* swing over the base tables. During normal operation, there's only a few degrees added here. By using a higher octane fuel that spark adjustment can be anywhere from 5-10* higher than on 93, so it's definitely not just a placebo effect.

Also higher octane fuel provides more benefit in hotter weather when 93 octane struggles to run max timing due to higher CHT and IATs. So in the summer its definitely believable that the OP noticed a power bump.
So you’re suggesting that stock Gt350’s run naturally with the knock sensors constantly regarding timing on the factory calibration?

My understanding is the calibration has a target total timing with the ability to advance under ideal conditions (no detonation knock, low CHT’s/IAT’s etc) or retard under bad conditions (Vice versa). But if the engine is already not knocking on 93 and it’s target timing is 30* with a +6* (for example), there’s no way for it to add more timing just from adding higher octane fuel. From what I’ve seen, there is no total timing difference between 93 and higher octane fuel on the factory calibration

please correct me if I’m wrong

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
So you’re suggesting that stock Gt350’s run naturally with the knock sensors constantly regarding timing on the factory calibration?

My understanding is the calibration has a target total timing with the ability to advance under ideal conditions (no detonation knock, low CHT’s/IAT’s etc) or retard under bad conditions (Vice versa). But if the engine is already not knocking on 93 and it’s target timing is 30* with a +6* (for example), there’s no way for it to add more timing just from adding higher octane fuel. From what I’ve seen, there is no total timing difference between 93 and higher octane fuel on the factory calibration

please correct me if I’m wrong
Normally that would be true 10 years ago, but 93 isn’t the same as it used to be very often. Even on 93, the PCM is making timing adjustments and sampling @ 60-80hz. Adaptive learning will absolutely give a higher spark advance average with 2-3 octane numbers over 93 or so.
Sponsored