Foxtrot

Foxtrot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ecoboost
Here's a bit better picture. The affected area is about 8-10 inches wide and 5-6 inches high. Plan to bring it by the dealer tomorrow on my lunch to get a quote on a buff and then bring that to the manager of the tire place and try and get him to pay for that.

As for Discount Tire, had those in Texas, and there are American Tires around here in LA. They seem the same. The one here near me seemed a little janky but guess I'll try them next time :/
unnamed-7.jpg
Sponsored

goldengooner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2016 California Special Convertible
Here's a bit better picture. The affected area is about 8-10 inches wide and 5-6 inches high. Plan to bring it by the dealer tomorrow on my lunch to get a quote on a buff and then bring that to the manager of the tire place and try and get him to pay for that.

As for Discount Tire, had those in Texas, and there are American Tires around here in LA. They seem the same. The one here near me seemed a little janky but guess I'll try them next time :/
I would be livid,
if it was their car would they do the same?
people have no respect in this day and age for other peoples property

bluehorse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GT PP
Dude I'm convinced that no one has the slightest fucking clue how to work on cars anymore. Literally siting in a tire store right now after waiting 2.5 hours for 4 tires then left, car was tracking all over the place, pulled over and noticed they put the rear tire on the front and visa versa on the passenger side..... Apparently they've never heard of staggered fitment... then they broke the tpms sensor trying to fix it....... F*#%!!!! :frusty: :frusty: :tsk:

I used to work at a tire store... it's not hard. Don't know how people F it up. I will be looking at getting my own tire machine from now on. Figure about 10 sets of tires between my 3 vehicles will pay it off.

yellowragtop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 mustang conv
Solution

I know this takes longer, but anytime I need a tire, I remove the tire/rim at home, then I take only the rim to (Discount Tire, etc).

This way no one drives my car. They just install a tire. (but it sounds like your tire was already flat and you had no choice except to quickly get your tire checked.)

In general, they do not need your entire car just to install a tire onto a rim.

If you drop off the tire, and tire is unidirectional be sure to tell them which way to put the tire on the rim. Be sure you own a nice torque wrench to use to tighten your lugs.

Good luck with your next adventure with car maintenance. :cool:

stoli

Fat Guy Racing
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'15 Black GT/PP
That'll buff out. Calm down and get over it.
Would u get over it if it was your car,this kind of crap happens to much because of techs not caring because its not theirs.
Yes, I would and do - there is no damage, relax and get over it.

It's a car, not a Fabergé Egg.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Foxtrot

Foxtrot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ecoboost
So update to this thread, after a few weeks trying to get a hold of the store manager, I ended up tweeting Goodyear who sent me a direct message with a number to HQ claims department who were very pleasant to work with. I simply sent them an estimate I got from the Ford detailing shop and they have ordered the Just Tires shop to reimburse me when I go.

Detail shop will do a buff and wax for about $150, or $200 for the whole car which I'll do the latter because I don't want it looking off.

So never, ever want to do business with Just Tires again, but happy with Goodyear making it easy.

Late Starter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium
I feel your pain. I dread having to buy tires since each visit results in a snafu - wheels get scraped, balance is off, wheel lock key gets lost, etc. On two occasions, they have installed tires other that what was ordered.

OP
OP
Foxtrot

Foxtrot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ecoboost
Thanks, my question now is it safe to have the car buffed, polished, waxed, etc this soon after manufacture date? Think the paint is 5 months old.

Dave

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT
Dude you could do that yourself for less than $10 with a bottle of 3M 03900 fine rubbing compound from WalMart and a scrap piece of soft cotton, and you'd have 95% of the bottle left over for the next time a leaf lands on your car or whatever. ;)

Just saying, for something that minor I'd rather take the 1/2 hour it would take to polish that by hand than let a dealership detail monkey buff half the clear off the whole car.

Spykexx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Prem M6, 2019 Charger Scat Pack Plus
I just had Blizzaks put on yesterday and what do you know...issues arise from carelessness. Long story short, "Their biggest car guy" rammed the front jack arm into the side of my car with the long platform still in the upright position.

About a 3 inch long scratch all the way down to bare metal, and dented in. And ofcourse the camera couldn't see that side of the car, just that when he put the arms in he looked very concerned. Out of three quotes today...$497 was the cheapest -.-

Sponsored

SDEcoBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Convertible
I made the mistake of taking my Mustang to the dealer that supports our local club. I had purchased four new take off wheels, (2016 GT - 18") from a club member who
went to PP wheels. I wanted them for my winter tires. I purchased the 4 Continental Winter Contact SI tires from the same dealer and had them install them on the 2016 wheels..big mistake. My brand new wheels were totally screwed up. Every wheel has chips, dings and lengthy scratches around the rims, and spokes. I showed the damage to the service writer who photographed the wheels. That was on the 21st. On the 22nd I went back to see the service manager, but he had not come to work. Still no call from the service manager or dealership. Never again! I cannot wait for the survey from Ford on my "service experience". I am thinking Zero out of ten.

As an aside this is not my selling dealer, who has been stellar, but is 12 miles further away. I just thought I would support the club sponsor with this work.

POOPonYOU

I Do Stupid Well
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red GT Premium
I just had Blizzaks put on yesterday and what do you know...issues arise from carelessness. Long story short, "Their biggest car guy" rammed the front jack arm into the side of my car with the long platform still in the upright position.

About a 3 inch long scratch all the way down to bare metal, and dented in. And ofcourse the camera couldn't see that side of the car, just that when he put the arms in he looked very concerned. Out of three quotes today...$497 was the cheapest -.-
Don't go with the cheapest. Go with the one who does the best work no matter the cost. They're paying so make sure you baby is taken care of.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Thanks, my question now is it safe to have the car buffed, polished, waxed, etc this soon after manufacture date? Think the paint is 5 months old.
The age of the paint doesn't matter. All 3rd party paint will get buffed before you even see it and the factory will buff new cars as needed.

But I wouldn't let a dealer buff my car. I wouldn't even let them buff the scuffed part.

You should think long and hard. Buffing removes the damaged paint. It doesn't "fix" it. And its easy to take off more clear-coat than needed. And guess what? You will have no way of knowing if they took off so much that what's left won't last until you sell it. Not to mention that if they go thru the clear, the entire panel and parts of adjacent panels in the same plane have to be repainted.

Never choose unnecessary surgery for yourself or your car, just because its cheap or free (to you).

Assuming you can't fix it with hand polishing, buy or borrow an orbital polisher which makes it almost impossible to burn thru the clear and just do the exact area that's affected.

If you are in the 1/2 percent who can't do that, just let the dealer do just the exact spot.

Don't assume your luck with the dealer will be better than your luck with the tire place.
Sponsored