Just saw they sold more Teslas last year then manual cars in the US

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
It's too late! Computers already rule your life. How do you think you are posting comments in threads on an internet forum?
Its not really though, my brand new 2020 that I purchased with a manual determined that was a lie lol. Its still gonna be a minute yet before no new cars are sold with a manual option, and even longer still before all the used options are trashed and gone
Sponsored

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
You can always buy a Porsche. They will never stop making manual transmissions.
True, but unfortunately that'd be kind of tough on retirement income without burning through all of the next few years' RMDs.

Computers are ideal for running endless calculations in the background, such as for engine ignition and fueling where it comes to cars. I'm fine with leaving that much to an ECU.

What I don't need and don't want is a computer that can insist on making high-level decisions for me (such as transmission gear choice). Don't want help for things I can handle all by myself.

Norm

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
True, but unfortunately that'd be kind of tough on retirement income without burning through all of the next few years' RMDs.
Norm
This probably getting far off-topic, but you can find low mileage used Porsches at decent prices. They are very reliable, last a long time and hold their value. You just have to know what to look for and be willing to take your time looking. I sold mine because I picked the wrong model for me. But, I'll be selling my Mustang and BMW and going back to a Porsche as soon as I find the one I want. There is really nothing that quite compares.

Sponsored

RaceRed5.0

Threads
Reaction score
From Texas to Louisana to California back to Texas
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 3.55, Modded 2006 Pontiac G6
It will be a sad day when the last manual transmission rolls off the lot. As an Auto owner I can respect the manual it still gives you something else to do other than just steer and in a sports car can make it more exciting. Sooner rather than later we are just going to be driving some electric self driving PoS that will just take us from point a to point b and people will just be getting even fatter and lazier.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
This probably getting far off-topic, but you can find low mileage used Porsches at decent prices. They are very reliable, last a long time and hold their value. You just have to know what to look for and be willing to take your time looking. I sold mine because I picked the wrong model for me. But, I'll be selling my Mustang and BMW and going back to a Porsche as soon as I find the one I want. There is really nothing that quite compares.
I imagine I could find a P-car as a replacement for the Mustang, but I'm not seeing anything there with a MT to fill the "family sedan" function. It's not just me who doesn't care to drive anything with an automatic; she doesn't either (did I get lucky or what?).

Norm

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
I imagine I could find a P-car as a replacement for the Mustang, but I'm not seeing anything there with a MT to fill the "family sedan" function. It's not just me who doesn't care to drive anything with an automatic; she doesn't either (did I get lucky or what?).
Norm
Well, since you are pretty close to my age (76), you probably won't have to worry about manual transmissions disappearing in your lifetime. Threads like this are fun on an academic level, but have no real world significance to me, nor to a lot of Mustang owners (average age is over 50).

Sponsored

wtb6mtv8rwd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
SOLD

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
My neighbor with a green metalic 2006 mustang said when I asked him about his car, "it's an automatic, so not a serious car".

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Well, since you are pretty close to my age (76), you probably won't have to worry about manual transmissions disappearing in your lifetime.
Probably not, at least not if the MT take rate for Subaru's WRX/STi remains anywhere near as high as it has (88%, by one recent report, the highest in the automotive industry).

Threads like this are fun on an academic level, but have no real world significance to me, nor to a lot of Mustang owners (average age is over 50).
I find myself looking at it either of two ways. I can either look at the situation a bit selfishly and tell myself that I'll probably get out of it without having to buy an automatic, or I can look into my kids' future. Though more recently it's become more about the grandkids. Two of the three cars our oldest granddaughter has owned have been MT, including her current one, and she doesn't want another automatic.

Norm

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I want a manual but I don't care for turbos and certainly don't want awd, fwd, or 4 bangers.
Honestly, I'm not crazy about any of those things either. But as far as the family sedan function is concerned, I've found turbo-4's with awd and V6's with FWD fit us a whole lot better than an AT (no matter what kind of engine it might be bolted up to). It's been over 40 years since we owned a normally-aspirated 4-banger, but even something powered that way that would be easier for us to drop back to as long as it had a clutch and a MT behind it..

Norm
Sponsored