Just saw they sold more Teslas last year then manual cars in the US

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
So if Ford was to stop making manuals, I guess me and all the other manual driver will have to find another brand to support.

Saying that a car company sold more cars than all manuals - big deal. I'll bet they also sold more cars than DCTs.
Probably sold more cars than all super cars manufactured so I guess they are going away too.

I would be too happy to buy a kit car and put a manual in it if none were available. It is what I enjoy driving. It improves the driving experience.

As for the A10 going 3.9 and the manual doing it in 4.3, so what? Is that the only metric that matters? Oh, I forgot the 1/4 mile.

I bet the number of A10 drivers that never use their extra speed yet brag about it, now that number is larger than the number of Tesla sold!!
Sponsored

Crowd Hunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
$hitbox
My daily driver has a DCT and is a convertible. My Mustang is a manual and has a hard top. Both cars have 400+ hp and both are very fun to drive, but for different reasons. I don't think an auto is less fun, and I definitely don't think being able to drive a manual is something people should be proud of, even in this age of participation trophies.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
EV is the future.....I am planning to own Tesla in my driveway within the next 2-3 years
Its faster too,roll your eyes in the back of your head faster than my SC GT

I have not _not_ considered it, but outside some "ownership logistics" I'm not quite happy with (for EVs in general), I don't know think I can own a Tesla, the thought of driving with my head up my own ass is a little off putting ... :crazy:

Proof that track driving is more than just a tranny.
Well, of course, but you said this:

I love how auto guys forget that the fastest tranny is... a manual sequential shifter. YES a manual.

Also, that is why the manual PP2 beat the auto PP1 in this article
https://www.cars.com/articles/mustang-vs-mustang-fords-performance-packages-tested-1420700897178/
Your correlation seemed to be, "Manual is faster", and then "That's why the manual PP2 was faster than an auto PP1"

I simply pointed out the PP2 has a more track specific setup, including incredibly better tires which are a major contributor, not that the transmission is necessarily the only reason, and it would certainly be MUCH closer if there was an A10 option for the PP2.

I know Probst when comparing the ZL1 1LE in a manual vs. the A10, did manage to squeak out a faster lap in the manual, by +0.32 seconds.

Look, I get wanting a manual, I drove one (both on the street and on track) for the previous several cars (some manually optioned, some were only manual), the manual _might_ have a slight edge on track (in the right hands), and that's comparing to a conventional auto (vs. a DCT), but certainly, street/strip, an auto is going to be a pretty good bit quicker (again, that's just talking objective performance measurements).

Last edited:

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
My daily driver has a DCT and is a convertible. My Mustang is a manual and has a hard top. Both cars have 400+ hp and both are very fun to drive, but for different reasons.
I drove both my brother's '14 Audi RS5 and my GT. The Audi was 'fun' in the curves too and could go like a bat out of hell but I just miss rowing the gears. The Audi felt disconnected even when using the toggle paddles. If I'm buying a performance-like auto, it will always be a manual. If none are to be found, I'll just get my "driving" jollies exclusively thru 2 wheels - way faster and 'tactile' than any car.

Sponsored

wtb6mtv8rwd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
SOLD
Yes, EV is the future. Eventually that's all there will be. That's precisely why I am in no rush whatsoever to get one.

A lot of car guys are focused on outright speed and numbers. I get it. But personally I don't care that much. For me it's all about the experience, the noises, the fun of rowing my own gears. Same reason I wouldn't consider an A10.

Both the manual transmission and internal combustion engine are endangered species.
How many V8, manual, rear drive cars can you still buy new? The list is getting shorter by the minute.

Get your glorious manual v8 and enjoy it while you still can!

mnm4ever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler, MR2 Spyder, Sea Doo HX
The real problem is that manual enthusiasts don't buy enough new cars to justify manufacturers offering them. On top of that, even when they are offered, dealers do not order them so the typical car buyer who just goes to the lot and picks from the cars, they don't find manuals. And most buyers today are way more concerned with the infotainment than the transmission.

The take rate for manuals on Mustangs is already one of the highest in the industry... pretty sure I read somewhere that more Mustang GT buyers choose a stick than Porsche buyers. So as a whole, we are a bunch of car buyer freaks! But that's good, that gives Ford a good reason to keep offering a stick. Chevy is barely selling enough Camaros to even offer a new one, and with the new Vette going auto-only, its highly unlikely that if a new Camaro even comes, it will be auto only. I am betting that Chryslers new owners will be dropping the manual the second it costs them even a penny more to offer it (if they even have it anymore, I havent checked!). But in the end its inevitable, I predict manuals are going to be completely gone within 10 yrs.

Electric cars are going to take over significantly more market share too, although I am not one to think its going to replace the ICE car anytime soon. Too much distrust of the technology over the long haul. That being said, I think a broader enthusiast embrace of electric cars is coming soon. I am no Tesla fan, but its hard to deny the insane performance available, and not just outright speed but overall performance. An electric powertrain makes even more sense for a performance car than a regular sedan. Limited range doesn't matter at all for a car that is only used for fun. Not to mention, being able to do 0-60 under 3 secs in a $40k car is pretty impressive no matter what you think of electric cars. If the Model 3 had a sexy low slung coupe body for around the same price, I would consider one.

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
I will be the first to say the Tesla Roadster was an amazing looking car and had awesome performance. I wish they made its successor.

I just find it funny that every guy posting bad news about a manual is commenting on its 0.4 seconds less of 0-60 speed (0.2 vs PP2) compared to the A10 when there is so much more about driving than just the transmission. I guess these will be the guys jumping on the electric bandwagon when a sporty affordable one is available if all they are looking for is 1/10ths of a second improvement.

With the Corvette and Supra so close in price, I am surprised all these clock counters haven't jumped ship to either of them.

Now, from a manual perspective, a DCT and some other autos are basically computer controlled manuals. Why doesn't Ford save their money and simply offer the same tranny either with direct connection or computer control. Make both camps happy. Of course, you would need to put a third pedal in...somehow.

Like I posted about my cousin putting an auto in. Autos are more consistent and , under computer control can shift fast. Who does it hurt to offer a bunch of rods and/or cables and a clutch for those that do not want computer intervention.

Let's look at it another way, Porsche already made a PDK as a three pedal manual. One tranny for two worlds.

https://www.caranddriver.com/review...ium=email&date=062020&utm_campaign=nl20443575

I wonder how many gear rowers would drive a stick by wire setup (it is an auto but the stick and clutch drives a computer instead of mechanically)?

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
The real problem is that manual enthusiasts don't buy enough new cars to justify manufacturers offering them. On top of that, even when they are offered, dealers do not order them so the typical car buyer who just goes to the lot and picks from the cars, they don't find manuals. And most buyers today are way more concerned with the infotainment than the transmission.

The take rate for manuals on Mustangs is already one of the highest in the industry... pretty sure I read somewhere that more Mustang GT buyers choose a stick than Porsche buyers. So as a whole, we are a bunch of car buyer freaks! But that's good, that gives Ford a good reason to keep offering a stick. Chevy is barely selling enough Camaros to even offer a new one, and with the new Vette going auto-only, its highly unlikely that if a new Camaro even comes, it will be auto only. I am betting that Chryslers new owners will be dropping the manual the second it costs them even a penny more to offer it (if they even have it anymore, I havent checked!). But in the end its inevitable, I predict manuals are going to be completely gone within 10 yrs.

Electric cars are going to take over significantly more market share too, although I am not one to think its going to replace the ICE car anytime soon. Too much distrust of the technology over the long haul. That being said, I think a broader enthusiast embrace of electric cars is coming soon. I am no Tesla fan, but its hard to deny the insane performance available, and not just outright speed but overall performance. An electric powertrain makes even more sense for a performance car than a regular sedan. Limited range doesn't matter at all for a car that is only used for fun. Not to mention, being able to do 0-60 under 3 secs in a $40k car is pretty impressive no matter what you think of electric cars. If the Model 3 had a sexy low slung coupe body for around the same price, I would consider one.
Truth, when I was looking for my stick car there was only ONE in all of Utah that wasn't a Bullitt which was out of my price range. And now it's mine of course. Normally I don't do lot picks but it had almost every option I wanted and was the color I wanted as well.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
My BMW is manual, my Mustang is A10. I don't see what the big deal is one way or the other. I'm happy to drive either one.

Sponsored

IMadeYouReadThis

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT manual
@Fly2High
You wanna meet up? You bring the driver engagement, I'll bring the faster car.
Spoken like a true broken old man if you're driving an automatic muscle car you might as well just drive pick up truck and move on with your life.

I could care less if it's faster to me it's completely horrendous if you drive an automatic muscle car

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Also, I'm 32 chiefy
yeah but you're an artsy-fartsy type so an appreciation for mechanicals is beyond your ken. /JK!!

As a photog of youth, I bet you're not even familiar with external winders, long-feed film drums, or even a manual focus ring. Heaven help you if you are ever confronted by a Leica large format and these archaic things called light meters.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Spoken like a true broken old man if you're driving an automatic muscle car you might as well just drive pick up truck and move on with your life.

I could care less if it's faster to me it's completely horrendous if you drive an automatic muscle car
Good thing people can do what they want with their money and it doesn't affect you, lol. And I say this as someone who prefers manual.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Good thing people can do what they want with their money and it doesn't affect you, lol. And I say this as someone who prefers manual.

Hahaha, his posturing is cute, "HERF DERF OLD MAN", I bet the most intense thing he's done in the last few months is not refill the Keurig ... :cwl:
Sponsored