Sponsored

Just removed the clear wafer seals for Trunk moisture cover holes.

Mustangpursuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT/CS 2019
Vehicle Showcase
Hi ,

Not sure if most know, the trunks when opened, they come with these holes at each corner that have a clear circular sticker.

I noticed rust in the center of one and a little in the other. I peeled them off and found out the rust was luckily not the trunk surface, it was some left over sharp loose metal shavings probably from the factory or when they screwed the trunk hinges in? I inspected the holes and checked with a flash light and wiped a little WD-40 around the hole edges. the clear stickers were no good for re-use and had center rust stains anyway.

I just had some left over exterior black vinyl stickers logos and just cut up the right size to just re-cover the holes.

Is this ok for now? or I should be getting some specific clear wafer seal?
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Hi ,

Not sure if most know, the trunks when opened, they come with these holes at each corner that have a clear circular sticker.

I noticed rust in the center of one and a little in the other. I peeled them off and found out the rust was luckily not the trunk surface, it was some left over sharp loose metal shavings probably from the factory or when they screwed the trunk hinges in? I inspected the holes and checked with a flash light and wiped a little WD-40 around the hole edges. the clear stickers were no good for re-use and had center rust stains anyway.

I just had some left over exterior black vinyl stickers logos and just cut up the right size to just re-cover the holes.

Is this ok for now? or I should be getting some specific clear wafer seal?
Any type of seal will work; the “stickers” was Ford’s cheap ass excuse for a proper “plug”.

Instead of using stickers, you could opt for the correct size black rubber body plugs. These can be found in a variety of sizes in most Auto Parts stores or online on eBay or other types of avenues.

You may also want to check the body holes at the base of the A-pillars where it meets the firewall. The only way you can see those is if you open each door. Look through the gap between the front fender and edge of door OR if door is wide open, you can somewhat see the same clear stickers covering a much larger hole. The problem here is, some have found those stickers to be either missing or peeled away, which leads to a major water leak into the passenger compartment.

OP
OP
Mustangpursuit

Mustangpursuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT/CS 2019
Vehicle Showcase
Might be hard to find plugs that size, its like maybe 0.25" diameter,

What was the purpose of this hole? was it some drain hole / air / inspection hole? if trunk is closed, the hole is too high toward the front of car and at an angle to not be a drain hole of any kind anyway. yes I do see the door insert ones, they are painted over but cheap sticker and a little peeled and no leaks so far.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Might be hard to find plugs that size, its like maybe 0.25" diameter,

What was the purpose of this hole? was it some drain hole / air / inspection hole? if trunk is closed, the hole is too high toward the front of car and at an angle to not be a drain hole of any kind anyway. yes I do see the door insert ones, they are painted over but cheap sticker and a little peeled and no leaks so far.
The holes are designed into the sheet metal dies/tooling for when the sheet metal is stamped from raw steel and aluminum. The entire body shell with doors and hoods attached go through a huge zinc chemical bath where it’s totally submerged; the purpose of the bath is to cleanse the metal and for rust proofing the raw metal. There has to be drainage holes for the fluid to escape and dry.

Some holes in the body shell or parts are for wire harness pass throughs, hardware access or for true drainage of water during normal use. Any holes that are to be perma-sealed with plugs (in this case, stickers) or gaps to be seam sealed are done so before the painting process.
Sponsored