Just Purchased a 2017 GT350

Wildcardfox

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
Iā€™m in-between cars
Over the last 50+ years I have been very fortunate to have owned some outstanding automobiles but without a doubt the best sounding engine that I have experienced is the FPC in the R model and of course while in Sport Mode as the resonator delete on these 2 seat cars makes a significant and improved aural symphony at high RPM's.

On another note I am somewhat surprized that Ford did not provide a resonator delete on the 2 seat CFTP GT500 cars as that would have certainly added to the improved sound of those CPC engines.
Despite some calling the 500 carbon the 500R, Ford worked really hard for it to not be an R model, but instead a package. Reason why all 500ā€™s have the same chassis designation, all have red calipers, and the reason why they just released a middle ground carbon for 10k which gives you painted carbon wheels and no GT4 wing. Ford tracks to history and in their viewā€”there is only one GT500, no R modelā€”just differences in packages which keeps the historic nature of the car correct with history. So no resonator delete makes sense when you understand Fordā€™s reasoning.
Sponsored

dpAtlanta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 (#K2503), 2017 Cayman
youā€™reā€”youā€™re not serious right?

Not louder but engine mapping and suspension changes. Car gets much more aggressive. And even more so in track mode.
You obviously have not read many of my previous posts over the last 2 years................. no, not serious.

Mjc1241

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Reese
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
I am driving in Track Mode more lately on the street and have noticed more pops and crackles than Sport Mode. I used to drive exclusively in Sport Mode, but Track Mode it is lately. Probably just a placebo effect.....

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Despite some calling the 500 carbon the 500R, Ford worked really hard for it to not be an R model, but instead a package. Reason why all 500ā€™s have the same chassis designation, all have red calipers, and the reason why they just released a middle ground carbon for 10k which gives you painted carbon wheels and no GT4 wing. Ford tracks to history and in their viewā€”there is only one GT500, no R modelā€”just differences in packages which keeps the historic nature of the car correct with history. So no resonator delete makes sense when you understand Fordā€™s reasoning.
But wasnā€™t there a 500KR (King of the Road) some years? Or were they all called 500KR during those years?

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
But wasnā€™t there a 500KR (King of the Road) some years? Or were they all called 500KR during those years?
The original GT500KR came out as a mid year model which was dudded a 1968 1/2 model and was the launch of the 428 Cobra Jet engine and replaced the 428 Police Interceptor engine which had 2 4 BBL carburetors in 1967 and a single 4 BBL carburetor in 1968.

During the launch of the 2nd generation GT500 cars a KR version was again launched for the 2008 and 2009 MY's whereby SA in LV made some modifications to the car including an increase of 40 HP and up to 540 HP.

If I recall correctly the MSRP for a 2008/2009 GT500KR was ~$80,000 and that was a lot of money for what you got for the 1,712 cars produced back in the day.

I have watched pricing for the 2nd generation KR's over the years and unfortunately they do not command anything close to the original MSRP of $80,000.

Having said that the 2013 and 2014 GT500's that were increased to 662 HP have done very well of late and have seen some of these cars go well beyond their original MSRP of ~$55,000 and again if I recall correctly they came with a 1 piece CF drive shaft which is pretty cool.

Because of the 662 HP, CF drive shaft and manual transmission I suggest that pricing for the last 2 production years of the 2nd generation GT500 is on the rise.

Sponsored

OP
OP

sd05gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ALEX
Vehicle(s)
2011 FORD MUSTANG GT
thanks everyone, i'm super excited. The JLT rock blockers are exactly what I was looking for. It turns out the 1st owener already had the steeda jacking rails installed so thats good. Going with everyones advice and purchasing a passenger side catch can 100%. Kinda dig the front splitter letters too.

Meateater

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Congrats on the new ride! Enjoy!!
The JLT Rock Blockers will prevent stones from entering, scratching and collecting in the side skirts.
JLT Rock Blockers

Others have already commented on some easy initial mods. I have also added Steeda jacking rails and a Steeda G-trac brace. I don't believe the jacking rails are absolutely necessary but I feel they are a nice "peace of mind" addition in the sense I know have additional support whenever the car is jacked up. The pinch-weld seem I'm sure is sturdy enough, but as I watched the tire shop go to jack up my car (because it was too low to get on their lift), I was happy I had the jacking rails there.
I installed the G-trac brace to eliminate some (most) of the tramlining I was feeling...and it did just that.
Hoorah on the jacking rails!

Meateater

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Welcome to the world of 8250! Mine is 2017 as well. I support the catch can crowd. Passenger side only. If you are going to track it look at Vorshlag camber plates. Also helps with Trammeling. I replaced the stock air filter with a K&N, just because I have always run K&N. Also consider going to non-drilled rotors if you decide to track. If you're staying on the street, it works pretty darn good as is! Have fun an drive it. I have 5 track events and 7K miles since picking mine up in the summer of 2019. LOVE it!

Jason304

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350 2016 Ram 2500 2012 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Definitely get the passenger side catch can if you plan to drive it as intended. I havenā€™t tracked mine yet, just spirited driving on the back roads, and mine will have 1/2 to 3/4 inch of oil in the can after a 1000 miles. As others have said, check your oil often. I got lucky, I can go from oil change to oil change and not see any drop in oil on the dip stick. But, I still check it before every weekend cruise.

Sponsored

Darth V8der

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2014 5.0, 2019 GT350
I got my 2019 the same day as you and Iā€™ve been using your thread for future mod ideas.

Congrats!

DaveB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 gt350, 16 gt/cs (wife)
Vehicle Showcase
I have only done hood struts on my 18. I will eventually add the catch cans. I haven't used any oil in the 6000 miles and 14 months of daily driving it so far.....haven't had a chance to get out on the track yet

pjk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 WW 50th Anniv LE, '68 Merc Cougar, '17 GT350R
Passenger side catch-can is on my list. 2017 mods done are hood struts, JLT rock blockers, Steeda clutch spring and full ppf (actually previous owner did that). I finally got around to doing a video. Check it out if you're interested.

OP
OP

sd05gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ALEX
Vehicle(s)
2011 FORD MUSTANG GT
I got my 2019 the same day as you and Iā€™ve been using your thread for future mod ideas.

Congrats!
You too!
Passenger side catch-can is on my list. 2017 mods done are hood struts, JLT rock blockers, Steeda clutch spring and full ppf (actually previous owner did that). I finally got around to doing a video. Check it out if you're interested.

whatā€™s ppf? Great looking car... I really like the matte black stripes!

wingnutt

Threads
Reaction score
MN, FL, WI, MO, KY, TN, CO, TX, CA, WA, TX again
First Name
michael
Vehicle(s)
350R avalanche gray
Any idea what the fix was by Ford that stopped the gen.2 motors from burning oil? Or is it just hit and miss?
ford is pretty tight lipped about what may or may not have caused oil issues. i donā€™t know of one case where the dealer was even allowed to open the motor up after pulling it out. if I was to guess, its a ring/piston clearance issue...
Sponsored