Just installed Magnaflow Street and smelled rubber burning

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
First attempt, not so good. Discovered the X pipe will hit the parking brake cable bracket and makes a horrible noise! Jacked the car back up and had to loosen up the drivers side pipe between the cat and the X pipe to drop the X down off the bracket. Left about 1/2" clearance and sounds great now.
Also had pipe that goes between the X and the muffler shoved too far forward into the X pipe and it can get too close to a tab on the center section of the rearend.
Drove it around for about a half hour and noticed a burning rubber smell. No, not my tires!
Anyway the rubber mounts can get hot enough to smell like rubber burning? There is nothing else touching the pipes but the mounts/isolators. :shrug:
Sponsored

BBB

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Premium GT Poverty Snack
it's probably from the mufflers breaking in

Budnr22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Oxford - Tech Pack
I second what BBB said.....smell should go away soon. If not, take a look or have it looked at.

MagnaFlow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 S550
It should be part of the break-in process as some of the greases we use in the manufacturing process get heated up for the first time. Let us know if it doesn't go away within the first couple hundred miles.

OP
OP
ScottsGT

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
OK, great! Love it when a manufacturer steps in! I never dreamed oils would smell like rubber though. My first reaction was "Hmmmm, I don't remember doing a burnout...." Of course then I went into panic thinking I had skipped seeing something against one of the pipes. Double checked again last night and nothing is touching.

Sponsored

MagnaFlow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 S550
OK, great! Love it when a manufacturer steps in! I never dreamed oils would smell like rubber though. My first reaction was "Hmmmm, I don't remember doing a burnout...." Of course then I went into panic thinking I had skipped seeing something against one of the pipes. Double checked again last night and nothing is touching.
No worries. If for some reason the smell persists, shoot us a PM and we'll help you troubleshoot.

FATHERFORD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I just wish they came with H-pipe and not X-pipe.... I cut my xpipe out and put an hpipe in my magnaflow street.

OP
OP
ScottsGT

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
I just wish they came with H-pipe and not X-pipe.... I cut my xpipe out and put an hpipe in my magnaflow street.
Hey, I was wishing for an H also! How does it sound with the H now?? Magnaflow has mentioned on here they went with an X for a reason, I'm thinking it was something to do with eliminating drone?

FWIW, the smell was there yesterday after a 20 mile drive to work, although a little different odor. But I did not notice it last night when I got home or again this morning when I got to work.

Now I'm just dealing with minor leaks after the few heat cycles. I've got to get under it ASAP and re-tighten clamps.

MagnaFlow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 S550
Hey, I was wishing for an H also! How does it sound with the H now?? Magnaflow has mentioned on here they went with an X for a reason, I'm thinking it was something to do with eliminating drone?

FWIW, the smell was there yesterday after a 20 mile drive to work, although a little different odor. But I did not notice it last night when I got home or again this morning when I got to work.

Now I'm just dealing with minor leaks after the few heat cycles. I've got to get under it ASAP and re-tighten clamps.
The main reason for the X-pipe is actually to improve flow and exhaust velocity so that you're getting the most efficient exhaust scavenging possible. The side effects of this can include tonal changes to the exhaust that may help eliminate drone, as well.

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
Is there any drone at all with the catback street? I just removed the flowmaster American thunder because of how terrible the drone is... Also do you think the magnaflows are louder than the flowmaster American thunder super 44's?
Thanks

OP
OP
ScottsGT

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
No drone with the Street system. Louder volume inside the car, but it is not drone. With my past experience with Flowmasters, I would say the Magnaflow's out shine them 110%. Granted, my experience was with two different 1995 GT's. One had Flow 40's and the other was Delta 50's. Even the 50's had drone, but not that loud and it was only at a very certain RPM/speed depending on what gear I was in.
The 40's were miserable.
Sponsored