Just got new 2022 Mustang, questions about TPMS

GreenVert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2022 Eruption Green Mustang GT Convertible
So I just bought a new Eruption Green convertible with the stock 18 inch wheels. The dealer knew I really wasn't wild about the stock wheels so he threw in a set of new 19 inch black wheels that they had previously swapped out with someone else. And they have the TPMS in them as well. Now I have found a wheel dealer that is willing to swap a set of the 20 inch factory wheels with the goodyear tires that came off a 2021 model. He claims they look new with a lot of tread left. I asked him if they had the TPMS on them and he said he guessed so as he didn't remove them. So we are planning a swap my 8 wheels & 4 new pirelli p zero tires for his 4 -20 inch wheels with goodyear tires. My questions are these:
1) If the 20 inch wheels/tires do have the TPMS will it automatically work with my car or what has to be done to make them work?
2) if the 20 inch wheels do not have the TPMS or if they won't work with my car would the TPMS on the 19 inch wheels that i have work if i removed them and installed on the 20 inch wheels.
3) so are the TPMS wheel/tire size specific and/or they vehicle specific.
4) do you think I should have the wheel dealer meet me at the closest ford dealer and have them swap tires out and make sure the TPMS is working? Are most dealer service depts. knowledgeable enough about them or will they just try to sell me new sensors?
Sponsored

ajsfirehawk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2023 EG M6 Mach 1 ordered. 12/1; Received 2/3
I'm old so keep that in mind when I say this: There was a time you didn't want to go with huge rims on a convertible because there is so little sidewall a great deal of the road shock goes straight into the suspension/car as it isn't buffered by sidewall. Manufacturers didn't recommend going that large. I don't know if chassis technology has come so far that no longer matters. You are giving up a bunch to get 4 wheels and tires. If the look is what you are after and you don't press the car from a performance aspect, I suspect you'll be fine.
PS - Congrats on a great car in the best color. :like:

Hoofer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Boz
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Vert, PP1, MagneRide, ActiveExhaust, B&O
Great questions, but a mess.

If I was you, I'd:
1) Buy a wheel package I wanted from a legit dealer, Steeda, Lethal Performance, Discount Tire, you know, one of this sites sponsors.
2) Then I'd sell the extra wheels/ tires you have on fraudbook or Craigslist for whatever you can get out or them.

Best part of this plan is you're on the road after #1.

Last edited:

Discount Tire

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
discountti.re
Vehicle(s)
All Things FORD
So I just bought a new Eruption Green convertible with the stock 18 inch wheels. The dealer knew I really wasn't wild about the stock wheels so he threw in a set of new 19 inch black wheels that they had previously swapped out with someone else. And they have the TPMS in them as well. Now I have found a wheel dealer that is willing to swap a set of the 20 inch factory wheels with the goodyear tires that came off a 2021 model. He claims they look new with a lot of tread left. I asked him if they had the TPMS on them and he said he guessed so as he didn't remove them. So we are planning a swap my 8 wheels & 4 new pirelli p zero tires for his 4 -20 inch wheels with goodyear tires. My questions are these:
1) If the 20 inch wheels/tires do have the TPMS will it automatically work with my car or what has to be done to make them work?
2) if the 20 inch wheels do not have the TPMS or if they won't work with my car would the TPMS on the 19 inch wheels that i have work if i removed them and installed on the 20 inch wheels.
3) so are the TPMS wheel/tire size specific and/or they vehicle specific.
4) do you think I should have the wheel dealer meet me at the closest ford dealer and have them swap tires out and make sure the TPMS is working? Are most dealer service depts. knowledgeable enough about them or will they just try to sell me new sensors?
1.) Based on the information you provided, and assuming the sensors are still in the assemblies, they are interchangeable, and will work on your vehicle. You may have to go through the calibration process to relearn the sensors specifically to your vehicle. A fairly simple process that most tire shops can do rather quickly. If there is a Discount Tire store location in your area, a simple relearn would be free of charge.
2.) The sensors in the 19" wheel will work with the 20" wheels. Just swap. No calibration needed.
3.) TPMS sensors are vehicle specific, but can be interchanged in certain circumstances.
4.) Not knocking your local Ford dealers, they are up to the task, but you might see a cost savings
by visiting a local tire store in your area.
Hope this helps.

paulm1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
pau
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT mustang
If the 20's came off a '21 mustang and they are the stock rims you should be fine with the tpms. Have them mount one tire and start the car. You'll know right away if it's working.

Sponsored

OP
OP
GreenVert

GreenVert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2022 Eruption Green Mustang GT Convertible
1.) Based on the information you provided, and assuming the sensors are still in the assemblies, they are interchangeable, and will work on your vehicle. You may have to go through the calibration process to relearn the sensors specifically to your vehicle. A fairly simple process that most tire shops can do rather quickly. If there is a Discount Tire store location in your area, a simple relearn would be free of charge.
2.) The sensors in the 19" wheel will work with the 20" wheels. Just swap. No calibration needed.
3.) TPMS sensors are vehicle specific, but can be interchanged in certain circumstances.
4.) Not knocking your local Ford dealers, they are up to the task, but you might see a cost savings
by visiting a local tire store in your area.
Hope this helps.
There is a Discount Tire right down the street from this wheel dealer. Would you be willing to contact them and explain my situation and see if they would be able to help me Friday instead of the nearby ford dealer. Charles

djcodeman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT roush SC
FYI, the cheap TPMS on ebay are $25 for a 4 pack... work just fine and I have bought many sets that way. Just need to get the oem part number.. for example:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/392706977200

F2GZ-1A189-A
Sponsored