Just about ready to throw in the towel.

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
I could see that when the cars are in production. Im sure the profit margin on the EV cars is much higher. But once the car has been built, no matter what it is, I have to imagine they want it delivered as soon as possible. That's how they get paid. Having the car sit in the parking lot for 5 weeks means they don't get paid for 5 weeks.
Not to mention that’s 5 weeks of liability.
Transportation is taking a toll on my organization as well. We’ve been successful at investing the time to project movement of goods better than our competitors and managed to get more done for less cost than last year, but it took man-hours and relationships. Any organization that relies on the status-quo (so any group counting on their volume to get them favorable rates) has found themselves at the end of the line with confused entry-level employees getting grilled for 50-200% increases in freight.
Sponsored

gone_n_60

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Whit
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP Convertible
time to write that letter to C-exec in charge of customer relations and CC that Ford guy. And suggest that maybe he should go back to making brake pads in Ohio instead of cars and trucks. And next time insist the delivery guarantee be put on the side of the box. :)
Brake pads in Ohio???
1658872521872.png

OP
OP

YourNameHere

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Update: The 2nd delivery window came and went (August 9-15). I was assigned a 3rd delivery window of August 30 - September 5.

Because of this I asked Chapman for $2500 off the price. The delivery Fee + an additional $1000 PITA tax. And a car to drive until mine shows up since I was told mine would be here and sold my old car.

They almost immediately denied all of the requests and effectively canceled my order. Saying "They will consider my order as inventory now"

Oh well. Last week I put a deposit down on a ND Miata that is on a truck on its way here. Should take delivery this week.

Just a warning for everyone out there. These dealers have learned a lot of bad habits over the last 2.5 years and have no interest in EARNING your business. I have never tried to purchase a car where the dealer acted like they were doing me a favor by selling it to me, until now.

luca1290

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luca
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Mercedes A250 4Matic (W177)
Sometimes on these pages you read stories that you really can't figure out if are real or not.

Has this guy ever actually ordered the Mustang? How can one just order a car and then just because there are some mysterious shipping delay, order a car that has nothing to do with the Mustang?

A Ford Mustang vs a 4 cylinder FIAT (that what's the Mazda MX-5 is) engineered to be a completely different animal from a Pony Car.... why did you bother to order the Mustang in the first place?

OP
OP

YourNameHere

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Sometimes on these pages you read stories that you really can't figure out if are real or not.

Has this guy ever actually ordered the Mustang? How can one just order a car and then just because there are some mysterious shipping delay, order a car that has nothing to do with the Mustang?

A Ford Mustang vs a 4 cylinder FIAT (that what's the Mazda MX-5 is) engineered to be a completely different animal from a Pony Car.... why did you bother to order the Mustang in the first place?
I can’t be bothered to prove myself or explain my decisions to an internet stranger but…the Miata does not have a fiat engine. That’s just plainly wrong.

Also you may find it interesting that some people can find enjoyment from multiple different types of things. Shocking I’m sure. Heck I know people who enjoy classic rock AND modern hip hop!

Sponsored

luca1290

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luca
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Mercedes A250 4Matic (W177)
Yeah, sorry. You are right, I was thinking it was using the same 1.4 liter turbocharged engine from Fiat Powertrain Technologies. Looks like in the US they sell it with a 2 liter naturally aspirated engine.

Your loss, I drove the 1.5 liter NA engine from FIAT (in an Alfa Romeo MiTo) and it's really sweet thanks to the MultiAir (variable timing AND variable lift). The turbocharged 1.4 should really be a beast, if you don't care about the perceived inferiority of a smaller displacement.

I hope you are happy with your choices, though.

cerbomark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach1 700, 6 Spd.#5558
I have my M1 from 2021 and all I can say about all these posts about waiting is that right from the start you should be getting a great deal by waiting . That should make up for the immediate gratification of an off the lot car buy.
It should be thousands of dollars difference until the supply builds up.
If you can pick a car off the lot for INVOICE then you are a lucky dude.
The dealer mentioned here was doing 4% under invoice at one point.

Stangomydreams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Cali Special Convertible
The fiat spyder 124 has a fiat engine in a Mazda miata body and chassis and I believe is no longer made. The mx5 miata is 100% Mazda and super reliable and fun. Also one of the smallest cars on the road. Very different from a mustang but a good choice if the space compromise is do able. It wasn’t for me but I still admire the mx5 for the look and fun factor

BimmerDriver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
GT convertible w/3 pedals, BMW M550i
OP, sorry to read of your misfortune. I'll add - not that it matters - that's it not Chapman's fault, it's Ford's fault (actually it's really the shipping company at fault), and they (Chapman) shouldn't have to pay the penalty.

Also, Ford has a contract with the shipping companies, that's why it costs the same to ship a car to Chicago as it does to San Diego. Once it's at the railyard, it's out of their control, AFAIK.

Thirdly, the Miata is a super little car. For me, it's too little and I just don't like 4 cylinders, but you can't argue that it's not a better driving car than the Mustang. Really fun to drive!

Fourthly, to reply to the speculation earlier, I'll suggest that the profit on an old platform like the Mustang is much higher than on any new EV.

And lastly, ignore the meanies who can't say anything nice. No one has to prove anything.

OP
OP

YourNameHere

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
OP, sorry to read of your misfortune. I'll add - not that it matters - that's it not Chapman's fault, it's Ford's fault (actually it's really the shipping company at fault), and they (Chapman) shouldn't have to pay the penalty.

Also, Ford has a contract with the shipping companies, that's why it costs the same to ship a car to Chicago as it does to San Diego. Once it's at the railyard, it's out of their control, AFAIK.

Thirdly, the Miata is a super little car. For me, it's too little and I just don't like 4 cylinders, but you can't argue that it's not a better driving car than the Mustang. Really fun to drive!

Fourthly, to reply to the speculation earlier, I'll suggest that the profit on an old platform like the Mustang is much higher than on any new EV.

And lastly, ignore the meanies who can't say anything nice. No one has to prove anything.
thanks! I picked up the Mazda last night. It’s a riot!

The source of my frustration is the complete lack of transparency, information and communication. No one will give me any details other then the same eta I can get on the ford tracking app.

The problem is after the 2nd blown delivery dates and at this point close to 70 days since it “shipped” I expect (maybe misplaced) something in return.

I know it’s not Chapman loading the car on the train. But isnt the point of the dealer to act as a go between with the manufacturing. I’m sure if Chapman wanted to earn my business they could have spoken to someone at Ford and done SOMETHING. a discount. Free floor mats. Anything. Instead I was flatly told “no. Deal with it”. So I walked.

I know ford has these ambitions for direct to consumer sales. They are MILES away from doing that successfully.

Sponsored

Smunczen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang gt pp2
Don’t blame you. I like smaller cars and trucks.

cerbomark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach1 700, 6 Spd.#5558
thanks! I picked up the Mazda last night. It’s a riot!

The source of my frustration is the complete lack of transparency, information and communication. No one will give me any details other then the same eta I can get on the ford tracking app.

The problem is after the 2nd blown delivery dates and at this point close to 70 days since it “shipped” I expect (maybe misplaced) something in return.

I know it’s not Chapman loading the car on the train. But isnt the point of the dealer to act as a go between with the manufacturing. I’m sure if Chapman wanted to earn my business they could have spoken to someone at Ford and done SOMETHING. a discount. Free floor mats. Anything. Instead I was flatly told “no. Deal with it”. So I walked.

I know ford has these ambitions for direct to consumer sales. They are MILES away from doing that successfully.
so now they have a car they can make even more money on. I know it s not fair and frustrating and that s why you walked away but at a cost to you. (if you really wanted the Mustang). good luck, enjoy the new ride. 99% of the mustangs have shown up eventually after reading this stuff for over a year now.

AvalancheSVT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 6spd
Imagine the mountain of good PR if the company that builds the f-series truck buys a bunch of trailers and started delivering the car direct to the customer! The super bowl commercial almost writes itself!

They could charge an expedited delivery fee and make a few bucks. Dealers still get to do all the paper work. But you keep customers happy.

If a company like Carvana can get you a car within a week from just about anywhere in the country Ford should be able to as well. They had 2.5 years to figure this out. The fact that this is still such a problem is embarrassing.
carvana spends a crapton of money and isn't a proven business model. ford has been making cars for over a hundred years.

TrackMeisterWannabe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 w/HP
so now they have a car they can make even more money on. I know it s not fair and frustrating and that s why you walked away but at a cost to you. (if you really wanted the Mustang). good luck, enjoy the new ride. 99% of the mustangs have shown up eventually after reading this stuff for over a year now.
My thoughts exactly. Why would a dealer shed tears for a customer that abandons their order that was placed months ago at a lower price when they can flip that car with a nice ADM and a higher sticker price all while collecting a price protection rebate check? Chapman and others have a nice gig going with this methodology. What sucks for the rest of us that have cars on order is the concern that these orders delay or even worse push our orders off the cliff.

OP
OP

YourNameHere

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
walking away cost me nothing. Never had a deposit on the car and the Miata was substantially cheaper to purchase.

I’m not really concerned if they make more money on the car. In fact I am a ford stock holder so I hope they make more!

the point is the customer services blows and neither ford nor the dealer seems to care.
Sponsored