Sponsored

JTL oil seperator; Glad it was my first mod.

SilverSpoon09

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2015 GTP PP in CO / 08 CTS / 00 C-SVT
Man I have had this thing on for less than 150 miles and there is already a noticeable amount of oil in the bottom of the can. I wasn't expecting really anything in the bottom when I first opened it up but was really blown away by the amount in there. As I said I'm glad this was the first mod I put on. I just wish I had it on for the first 500 miles.
Sponsored

2yankeesoldiers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S197
Man I have had this thing on for less than 150 miles and there is already a noticeable amount of oil in the bottom of the can. I wasn't expecting really anything in the bottom when I first opened it up but was really blown away by the amount in there. As I said I'm glad this was the first mod I put on. I just wish I had it on for the first 500 miles.
Good info, thanks.

OP
OP

SilverSpoon09

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2015 GTP PP in CO / 08 CTS / 00 C-SVT
Enough to make a full layer at the bottom of the can and slosh it around like the last swig of a can of coke:)

Sponsored

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Can someone explain this to me. Never heard of an oil seperator. What's it do and what does it prevent from happening or improve. Sorry for being naive, just got my car and am finding all kinds of stuff I never knew about.

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
Can someone explain this to me. Never heard of an oil seperator. What's it do and what does it prevent from happening or improve. Sorry for being naive, just got my car and am finding all kinds of stuff I never knew about.
Modern cars have what is called a Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) system. It uses suction from the intake to pull air through the crankcase in order to prevent oil mist from being pushed out through various seals. Instead, the air is sucked into the intake and any mist is burned in the engine. It is primarily a way to reduce pollution.

The catch can is put in the middle of the line running out of the crank case into the intake, and acts as a filter to slow the airflow, cool and trap the oil, and prevent the mist from getting into the intake. On a Direct Injection engine the mist can coat the valves, and the carbon can get caked on, blocking airflow and reducing power. It also reduces the effective octane rating of the fuel, which can increase the chances of knock. In a port injected engine the fuel cleans the valve area, so airflow reduction is not really an issue, but the increase in knock sensitivity still exists.

If you push the car hard on a road course, with high lateral G's, it is also possible for oil to build-up in certain locations and "burp" into the PCV lines. If enough oil goes through it can contaminate the Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor, which can lead to a moment of stuttering, poor running, and check engine lights. A catch can provides a place to catch this oil as well, which is why MFR's will sometimes recommend them for track duty (Ford recommends them on the GT350 for example).

They are not installed from the factory because it is a maintenance headache for the users, who can barely be trusted to keep their tires inflated and oil changed every 10,000 miles. Needing to empty the cans every so often is not something most would want to do.

-T

zuki_dan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang GT Premium M6 TY
OP, I agree mine was my first engine mod along with the clutch spring removal. The amount of oil during engine break in is pretty alarming. Now that I have over 8K on my car I check and empty it about 1500-2000 miles and there is about the same amount as there was every 500 miles during the first 1.5k miles.

I only ran one tank of gas through my car before installing the JLT catch can.

craigsix

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
craig
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
i learned to check mine on a regular basis. i pulled my throttle body off for porting and it had a lot of milky brown fluid on the backside that was getting sucked through the catch can that was a third full.

Sponsored

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Modern cars have what is called a Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) system. It uses suction from the intake to pull air through the crankcase in order to prevent oil mist from being pushed out through various seals. Instead, the air is sucked into the intake and any mist is burned in the engine. It is primarily a way to reduce pollution.

The catch can is put in the middle of the line running out of the crank case into the intake, and acts as a filter to slow the airflow, cool and trap the oil, and prevent the mist from getting into the intake. On a Direct Injection engine the mist can coat the valves, and the carbon can get caked on, blocking airflow and reducing power. It also reduces the effective octane rating of the fuel, which can increase the chances of knock. In a port injected engine the fuel cleans the valve area, so airflow reduction is not really an issue, but the increase in knock sensitivity still exists.

If you push the car hard on a road course, with high lateral G's, it is also possible for oil to build-up in certain locations and "burp" into the PCV lines. If enough oil goes through it can contaminate the Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor, which can lead to a moment of stuttering, poor running, and check engine lights. A catch can provides a place to catch this oil as well, which is why MFR's will sometimes recommend them for track duty (Ford recommends them on the GT350 for example).

They are not installed from the factory because it is a maintenance headache for the users, who can barely be trusted to keep their tires inflated and oil changed every 10,000 miles. Needing to empty the cans every so often is not something most would want to do.

-T
Thanks! My last 302 was in a 1979 Capri. Made me think of rubber valve stem seals that needed lube to stay flexible. Guess there isn't any of them in these new fangled engines. Thanks again for the explanation.

mm2015

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP
I have had mine on for like 2k miles, not even a drop in there.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
I have had mine on for like 2k miles, not even a drop in there.
Which catch-can are you running? Seems a bit strange that there wouldn't be anything in the can after 2000 miles of use.