FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
The other positive in this (other than no longer being able to bypass emissions equipment) is hopefully this will also eliminate crackle tunes.

They are also lumped together. We lose 1 we lose all. As much as I hate two stepping and crap.

I don’t want the end of tuning abilities.
Sponsored

Ecoboosted

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Mustang GT, 19' Road Glide
I see increased sales of FP calibration kits. lol

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I see increased sales of FP calibration kits. lol
I personally enjoy my FP calibration kit, but I rode recently in another persons fully tuned like stage 3 car, no comparison.

that said, im happy with mine.

andrewtac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Vehicle(s)
F250. 2020 GT 400A
Here in my country and most central and south american countries dont have those types of regulations also 80% of cars sold here are diesel engines. Everyone down here removes the catts from the cars and we use foulers to fool the system this is with cars imported from the USA also cars that come europe and asia dont even get a check engine when you remove the catts that only happens with USA cars.
Also if in the USA they are so tough with this regulations what about the rest of the world? Honestly nobody gives a damn any where else.
Don't you know we solve the world's problems and the europeans back us up? While I am sure there is a reduction in harmful things, seems we generally miss the forest for the trees with many things. It is often more about us feeling good than accomplishing things.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
The only tuning done will have to have CARB EO#s ala Ford Racing or Roush. The other tuners are going to have to adjust for fire and alter their business model. The ones that survive are going to have to deal with the regulatory aspect of this. To be frank I do believe a lot of this is happeneing is because its so prevalent and blatant. Yes your state may not have any emissions standards or very loose ones, but Federal law still will supersede state regulations. If this is the EPA cracking down and not the state enviromental board then I don't know what can be done.

I don't think this this will be the end but it will be the beginning of a different way of doing business.

Sponsored

BMAGOO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS, 2016 Explorer Sport, 2015 Ram 1500 Sport, 1968 Firebird
Vehicle Showcase
There are lots of tuners in my province, one of which is very reputable that I know of. So just curious, what’s to stop all of the US enthusiasts from ordering remote tunes from Canada ? How is the EPA going to track that ? Just a little food for thought.

Nuked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GTPP w/Recaros
Vehicle Showcase
The only tuning done will have to have CARB EO#s ala Ford Racing or Roush. The other tuners are going to have to adjust for fire and alter their business model. The ones that survive are going to have to deal with the regulatory aspect of this. To be frank I do believe a lot of this is happeneing is because its so prevalent and blatant. Yes your state may not have any emissions standards or very loose ones, but Federal law still will supersede state regulations. If this is the EPA cracking down and not the state enviromental board then I don't know what can be done.

I don't think this this will be the end but it will be the beginning of a different way of doing business.
The cost is going to kill some of the smaller companies off. Lund is likely looking at a pretty hefty fine, can they recover, only they know? At the very least, as you said most tunes moving forward will likely need CARB/EO approval. That is a lengthy and costly option. Your going to be looking at tunes that are double or triple in price and the options will be limited. Sadly the aftermarket industry doesn't have any lobbyist in their corner. SEMA is toothless and the OEM's are 100% against aftermarket tuning/parts.

Ghost cam, burble tunes and possibly alternative fuels are the tunes that will likely get axed.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The cost is going to kill some of the smaller companies off. Lund is likely looking at a pretty hefty fine, can they recover, only they know? At the very least, as you said most tunes moving forward will likely need CARB/EO approval. That is a lengthy and costly option. Your going to be looking at tunes that are double or triple in price and the options will be limited. Sadly the aftermarket industry doesn't have any lobbyist in their corner. SEMA is toothless and the OEM's are 100% against aftermarket tuning/parts.

Ghost cam, burble tunes and possibly alternative fuels are the tunes that will likely get axed.

Agreed...coming out of the BMW M and Porsche world where a tune is in the 1000s of dollars is probably what we are going to see. I paid over $1200 at the time for a tune for my M3 with the hand held tuner.

Nuked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Agreed...coming out of the BMW M and Porsche world where a tune is in the 1000s of dollars is probably what we are going to see. I paid over $1200 at the time for a tune for my M3 with the hand held tuner.
Yup, and honestly for a bolt on car running 93 there is no reason to get a tune when the cost would be that much. That is where it will hurt the tuners the most. Right now everyone gets a tune for minimal mods, when the cost is in the thousands it won't be worth it unless FI or E85 (if that doesn't get axed).

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
How do you think this affect companies like Roush, Whipple, ProCharger, and all the big name FI manufacturers? I don't think it hurts them so much as they are already within the EPA/CARB guidelines.

Sponsored

Nuked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
How do you think this affect companies like Roush, Whipple, ProCharger, and all the big name FI manufacturers? I don't think it hurts them so much as they are already within the EPA/CARB guidelines.
It doesn't hurt them, hell it probably helps them. IF the tuning shops start to close their doors, less competition means higher demand = more money for them.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
They will raise prices of their tunes id imagine with no competition from pricing less competition

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
It doesn't hurt them, hell it probably helps them. IF the tuning shops start to close their doors, less competition means higher demand = more money for them.
They will raise prices of their tunes id imagine with no competition from pricing less competition
I agree.

Pretty soon we'll all be driving around the canned tunes from the manufacturer of these FI companies. They can increase the prices/prices for the cars, but if people can't afford to buy them and less people are buying them, they'll have to come down in cost.
Let's hope IT NEVER comes to that!

Nuked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I agree.

Pretty soon we'll all be driving around the canned tunes from the manufacturer of these FI companies. They can increase the prices/prices for the cars, but if people can't afford to buy them and less people are buying them, they'll have to come down in cost.
Let's hope IT NEVER comes to that!
You will always have those folks that want the newest/fastest out there, regardless of price. Manufacturers will just manipulate the supply to justify.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It is probably going to get rid of the small tuner shops, or they just adjust and start selling tunes from the big boys ala Ford Racing and Roush. I think Steeda would probaby start jumping in as well. They were at one time, may still be a Ford partner.
Sponsored