Jon Lund Jr. discusses latest rumors about Lund Racing/future of EFI Tuning

IamCDNJosh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP, 2015 F150 3.5EB FX4
I don't think these "tuners" are going to be able to hide behind their "off-road use only" language for much longer.

Its unlikely the EPA would've cared had all these diesel dorks not been rolling coal, and others in gas vehicles doing cat deletes.

Play by the rules, EPA air quality laws aren't there to hurt you. I mean, look we can still have legal 850hp mustangs, you couldn't say that even a decade ago....
Sponsored

Dtmlloyd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derrick
Vehicle(s)
2020 2500 high country
But to have 850 HP you pay for it when you purchase car! Gas guzzler tax! Who gets that money’s? Federal Governments . All about the money follow the money!

IamCDNJosh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
Not when you purchase a whipple or roush blower.

IamCDNJosh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
But to have 850 HP you pay for it when you purchase car! Gas guzzler tax! Who gets that money’s? Federal Governments . All about the money follow the money!
Gas guzzler tax has nothing to do with the govt making money, rather used as a deterrent to buying what is deemed as a fuel inefficient vehicle.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Gas guzzler tax has nothing to do with the govt making money, rather used as a deterrent to buying what is deemed as a fuel inefficient vehicle.
That might be the case in the States, but up here it's one thing : Gubment coffers to appease the enviro-nutjobs. But I doubt it's any different in the states.

Sponsored

OnThree

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
Correct. But those folks that don't live in a state or county that does an emissions test don't care.
If they don't emissions test then what is the issue exactly? Wouldn't lund etc be in the clear for those counties?

IamCDNJosh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
Our gas guzzler tax started as part of the energy act of 1978. It was used as an incentive to get manufactures to produce more fuel efficient cars and was partially a result of the oil crisis of the 70's.

The tax itself is collected by the IRS and goes to the general fund.

IamCDNJosh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
If they don't emissions test then what is the issue exactly? Wouldn't lund etc be in the clear for those counties?
No.

With OBD-II being introduced on all vehicles starting in 1996 emissions testing itself wasn't required. They vehicle has the ability to monitor itself and its own emissions. On a legal OEM calibration your car would immediately throw a code (CEL). Problem is these tuners made it so the vehicle wouldn't throw a code (defeat device).

It doesn't matter if your area tests for emissions. It is federally mandated that your vehicle meets minimum emissions requirements. Whether you are tested is irrelevant.

I don't think I should have to explain the benefits of you not being able to spew whatever you want into the air out of your tailpipe. It should be self explanatory.

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
LUND doesn't need to 'lawyer up', cause LUND has done nothing wrong.
In an honest world Lund would not need a lawyer. In a world of federal agencies targeting an industry they do. I have a concealed carry license. If I should be forced to use deadly force it will be because I fear for my life or great bodily harm which is legal according to Louisiana law. I have insurance for an attorney because even if I am correct according to the law I might be prosecuted or sued. Such is the world we live.

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
I don't think these "tuners" are going to be able to hide behind their "off-road use only" language for much longer.
The tuners definitely are not.
All the goodies such as going catless , long tubes and others stuff are highly likely going bye bye.

It's terrible.

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
probably not but unless the EPA/CONgress outlaws aftermarket tuning, you can NOT make the logic leap that says "have tune == emissions violation". The EPA can indeed subpeona their sales records and examine every car that has a tune loaded and then cite the CAR OWNER for violations of law. Selling a legal product is not illegal just because the end-user is misusing it. But from an enforcement mechanism is WAY easier to shake down the seller than the buyer. If they go after the buyer, some agents might have to dodge high-velocity lead.

There is no good reason not to generate an EPA-legal tune for any blower/turbo out there or to leave all sensors fully active. You won't necessarily get biggus-dickus awards for output numbers but it would be legal. Whipple and Rousch can do it, so can Lund et. al.

racingandfishing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I know a lot of folks believe this is all being driven by the gov't, but whose to say the car manufacturers don't support it?

Yes, they have gotten really good at finding tunes (when the dealer wants to). But I believe plenty of dealers have fixed plenty of cars with tunes and looked the other way so they could get paid for the warranty work. There are also times where someone has had a friend or relative in the service department and again, it gets fixed under warranty even with a tune. Now, I wouldn't be so lucky as my dealer seems hell bent on denying any claim for anything!

Either way, regardless of whatever the warranty issue may be, there are a lot of decisions made at the dealer level about what they deny or approve. This would take one more variable out of the process and undoubtedly decrease claims paid under warranty.

Last edited:

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I know a lot of folks believe this is all being driven by the gov't, but whose to say the car manufacturers don't support it?

Yes, they have gotten really good at finding tunes (when the dealer wants to). But I believe plenty of dealers have fixed plenty of cars with tunes and looked the other way so they could get paid for the warranty work. There are also times where someone has had a friend or relative in the service department and again, it gets fixed under warranty even with a tune. Now, I wouldn't be so lucky as my dealer seems hell bent on denying any claim for anything!

Either way, regardless of the whatever the warranty issue may be, there are a lot of decisions made at the dealer level about what they deny or approve. This would take one more variable out of the process and undoubtedly decrease claims paid under warranty.
I got a friend that you describe.. their dealership has no problem looking the other way, and if something happens, UNLESS ford themselves request documents or pictures of something or directly want the IDS reports, then they can get away with pretty much anything.

even then, he told me, he can claim IDS failure to connect, and report modules as being faulty. pretty grey area. depends on how hard form wants to investigate that incident, but he said generally its never been an issue. can't do it too often. most repairs are legit.

service advisor is my classmate from school, and the senior mechanic is her husband lol. sweetness

Nuked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GTPP w/Recaros
Vehicle Showcase
Technically any alteration to a tune defeats the emissions compliance. The OEM tune is certified to be emissions compliant. This is where the EPA uses the grey language to enforce this stuff. They pulled hard drive data, I am sure they pulled financial data and sales data. Typically what the EPA does is issues fines PER TUNE. Think about that. The feds like to hit hard and see what kind of "plea deal" that the accused is willing to take. They hit E-Motion first, then started looking further at who was selling E-Motion products. Lund, PBD, Beefcake, Lethal etc are probably all "on notice" right now. That is how the Feds work, they find a crack then start digging.

SCT apparently cut a deal with the EPA when they got hit and sounds like they sold out. Think about it, the SCT fine print says any tune made with SCT software becomes property of SCT. Then they can pass that info on to the EPA. Cobb got hit a few years back. Part of their settlement was a requirement that anyone using their tuning software (not the device, the actual ATR software) had to take and pass a tuning class (which was basically telling you turning off CEL is bad).

I hope things work out for Lund and others but they are probably going through a lot of sleepless nights right now.

OnThree

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
No.

With OBD-II being introduced on all vehicles starting in 1996 emissions testing itself wasn't required. They vehicle has the ability to monitor itself and its own emissions. On a legal OEM calibration your car would immediately throw a code (CEL). Problem is these tuners made it so the vehicle wouldn't throw a code (defeat device).

It doesn't matter if your area tests for emissions. It is federally mandated that your vehicle meets minimum emissions requirements. Whether you are tested is irrelevant.

I don't think I should have to explain the benefits of you not being able to spew whatever you want into the air out of your tailpipe. It should be self explanatory.
Gotcha, federal trumps county rules
Sponsored