CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
I guess this begs the question of what are they after? Is the EPA concern for tunes or catless (off road) set ups? Tuned cars with cats can pass most emissions tests. Anytime you deal with these agencies things can change on a dime. The gun community has some of the same issues. The ATF rules something legal only to reverse it a year or two later.

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
Yikes. This does not bode well. Now the feds have all our data that Lund has too.

Lund needs to lawyer up. Fighting the feds is a fools errand that takes lots of time and money.

This reminds me of the hobby rocketry industry several years ago over the classification of rocket motors as explosive (by scientific definition they deflagrate, not explode during use). I had to actually get a low explosives user permit to have them. Took years, millions of dollars and two large rocketry organizations (NAR and Tripoli) to come to an agreement with the feds.

andrewtac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Vehicle(s)
F250. 2020 GT 400A
I guess this begs the question of what are they after? Is the EPA concern for tunes or catless (off road) set ups? Tuned cars with cats can pass most emissions tests. Anytime you deal with these agencies things can change on a dime. The gun community has some of the same issues. The ATF rules something legal only to reverse it a year or two later.
I would suspect tuners that tune cars which would not be considered legal to drive on the road (removing EPA required devices); though they specifically state everything is for off-road at that point. If they got rid of tuner/tunes this would likely crush the industry. No tunes, no mods, it is over. Since you mentioned guns, would be similar to banning primers; eventually you run out of primers and it is all over.

Sponsored

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
Look at the firearm industry. People have been sounding off about this for YEARS - but people who "Aren't into guns" could care less. Laws put in the books to "save lives" and classify certain firearm characteristics as "bad" - but pay the government a tax and it's okay now....see SBRs and suppressors.

They'll say it's about "clean air" and the "environment" - meanwhile if you run a large corporation that can't meet emissions standards, you simply pay the government a large tax and keep on chugging along.

It's a power and money grab and always has been. It's not some tinfoil conspiracy - it's simply about money.

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Does the EPA consider the original manufacture's tune an EPA required device? If yes, then any tampering with it would be verboten and devices like the nGuage would be illegal.

The feds now have all of Lund's computer hard drive data. They will know exactly what they have been doing and who they are doing it with.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
Does the EPA consider the original manufacture's tune an EPA required device? If yes, then any tampering with it would be verboten and devices like the nGuage would be illegal.

The feds now have all of Lund's computer hard drive data. They will know exactly what they have been doing and who they are doing it with.

nGauge (and devices like it) wouldn't be illegal - having a device capable of monitoring sensor / ECU feeds doesn't CHANGE anything. It only changes when the device is used to load a different tune than OEM.

The point is the EPA documentation on the entire subject is about as clear cut and concise as the tax code. The phrase "open to interpretation" is never going to go well for anyone but the government in most cases.

Read the three pdf's he linked in the Youtube video.

Sponsored

andrewtac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Vehicle(s)
F250. 2020 GT 400A
Look at the firearm industry. People have been sounding off about this for YEARS - but people who "Aren't into guns" could care less. Laws put in the books to "save lives" and classify certain firearm characteristics as "bad" - but pay the government a tax and it's okay now....see SBRs and suppressors.

They'll say it's about "clean air" and the "environment" - meanwhile if you run a large corporation that can't meet emissions standards, you simply pay the government a large tax and keep on chugging along.

It's a power and money grab and always has been. It's not some tinfoil conspiracy - it's simply about money.
SBR and suppressor tax stamps have been around for a really long time, I believe it came about from gang violence in the 20s and 30s, good news is it is probably the only tax that has never increased.

It is only about power and money. If they cared about the environment the list of wasteful emissions is extremely long before you get to tuners. The amount of energy used and emissions created to support starbucks, which is not essential, is likely far more than what tuners do.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
LUND doesn't need to 'lawyer up', cause LUND has done nothing wrong.
Except providing a bunch of tunes to users that are then used to modify parameters of an engine and sometimes used to defeat federal emissions regulations and testing.

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
nGauge (and devices like it) wouldn't be illegal - having a device capable of monitoring sensor / ECU feeds doesn't CHANGE anything. It only changes when the device is used to load a different tune than OEM.

The point is the EPA documentation on the entire subject is about as clear cut and concise as the tax code. The phrase "open to interpretation" is never going to go well for anyone but the government in most cases.

Read the three pdf's he linked in the Youtube video.
Right, but the nGauge DOES have the ability to change things. If it was just a gauge, then of course it would not be illegal.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Right, but the nGauge DOES have the ability to change things. If it was just a gauge, then of course it would not be illegal.
A device that has the ability to do something illegal is not considered illegal just by existing until it actually performs said illegal task. So just because the nGauge CAN make illegal changes doesn't mean anything.

I mean a gun has the ability to cause harm or kill someone, but just owning a gun is not illegal until it is used to perform said task. As do many other things like knives, hammers, saws etc.

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A device that has the ability to do something illegal is not considered illegal just by existing until it actually performs said illegal task. So just because the nGauge CAN make illegal changes doesn't mean anything.

I mean a gun has the ability to cause harm or kill someone, but just owning a gun is not illegal until it is used to perform said task. As do many other things like knives, hammers, saws etc.
Oy vey, bad analogy my friend. A fully auto machine gun is illegal as hell where I live, so are sawed off shotguns. Saying they are not illegal until I actually start firing them is folly.

I could go on and on.
Sponsored