Joining the club of the BBQ/Typewriter tick

holaz50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP
I hate to be posting this but here I am. 2021 Mustang GT PP. Tick started day after second oil change.
-Bought brand new with 20 miles from the dealership.
-First oil change done at 3500 miles. Oil used was Motorcraft 5W-20 FS.
-Second oil change done at 8800 miles. Oil used was Motorcraft 5W-30FS.
-Day after oil change typewriter tick started.
-Tick only happens when car warms up. This tells me that when oil is cold thus more dense/thicker, helps getting rid of the tick. When oil warms up (thins down) the tick appears.

Took it back to the dealership and they said is the typewriter tick and Ford states is "normal".

Just a bit of a rant here: I get it Ford assures us that nothing will happen to our vehicles, but to me, if it did not come with the car is not normal. I paid close to 60k for this car and it really hurts me to see it making that funky noise. Don't get me wrong, I love the car, and maybe this is the reason why I hate that ticking so much. Until that last oil change I kept reminding myself how much fun this car is, how good it looks and kept telling myself that I was going to keep it for several years... not anymore. I can't live with that sound.

Another thing it really bothers me is how much this will affect the resale value of my car. I mean, I wouldn't buy a car that makes that ticking noise.
I would love to find a solution to this so I can go back to enjoy my car, but from the hours I spent reading this forum, there is no concrete one.
I will give it a good 3-5 months to see if it disappears, if not, I'm completely done with Ford in general.
I hope this goes away by itself. I would hate to finish my story with Mustangs this way, being one of my most beloved cars ever.

P.S: FU Ford.

Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
holaz50

holaz50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP
I've read about the Ceratec and the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w30. Some people claims it fixes it (or at least it calms it down). Not sure what the repercussions can be if something happens with the engine and Ford find out I used Ceratec.

Nightmonkey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jens
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt
What is needed is more boron in the oil.
The Ford oil from the factory obviously has it.
Everything that the Ford workshops pour in quite obviously not.
Possibility 1: Continue to pour in the soup from Ford and add LiquiMoly Ceratec.
Possibility 2: Use suitable oil according to Ford specifications with a usable boron content.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I've read about the Ceratec and the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w30. Some people claims it fixes it (or at least it calms it down). Not sure what the repercussions can be if something happens with the engine and Ford find out I used Ceratec.
Not sure why you needed to start another thread on a topic that has been discussed a thousand times over the years. But since you have, I offer the following recommendation, get over it.

1. All of our engines have the “tick”. The difference is in the volume. Some engines are nosier than others.
2. there is no link to the tick and engine oil, none. This has been discussed for years. All we have is speculation, nothing concrete.
3. There is no “fix”. It is a normal noise. Why? Because Ford says so.
4. There is one universally confirmed solution to render the tick inaudible, Ceratec. It works, use it.
5. If this really bothers you and you do not want to use Ceratec, sell the car. No sense bitching about something you cannot change.
6. Ford doesn’t care about Ceratec and it will not effect your resale value.

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Not sure why you needed to start another thread on a topic that has been discussed a thousand times over the years. But since you have, I offer the following recommendation, get over it.

1. All of our engines have the “tick”. The difference is in the volume. Some engines are nosier than others.
2. there is no link to the tick and engine oil, none. This has been discussed for years. All we have is speculation, nothing concrete.
3. There is no “fix”. It is a normal noise. Why? Because Ford says so.
4. There is one universally confirmed solution to render the tick inaudible, Ceratec. It works, use it.
5. If this really bothers you and you do not want to use Ceratec, sell the car. No sense bitching about something you cannot change.
6. Ford doesn’t care about Ceratec and it will not effect your resale value.
^^^ Agreed. Everything Coyote "tick" related can be found in the sticky, as far as facts and "DIY" solutions.
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...iter-tick”-is-a-normal-characteristic.116925/

Also for those not aware, the Coyote tick is not new; it's existed pre-S550 since Coyote initial rollout introduction...

OP
OP
holaz50

holaz50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP
Im not willing to get over it. Getting over things just because the manufacturer tells you it’s “normal” doesn’t mean it is.
Just imagine if for every defect on a certain item the manufacturer tells you it’s normal and you have to “get over it”. It will reach a point were you will be buying a pice of crap because you obeyed to get over all of its defects, lowering standards and customers expectations.
That being said, in a capitalistic market we need to have competition. We need manufacturers to go above and beyond to create better products thus generating more sales and competitive pricing, and create even more competition. Manufacturers win and we, as customers, win.

Im a firm believer of capitalism, competition, and I feel that “getting over” defects is somewhat a conformist , mediocre approach.

1 and 2 I agree. 3 I dont. 4,5,6 Ok, sure.

**I saw that sticky thread later— I tried to delete this post afterwards so I could post this there but was too late.

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
I'm convinced the factory fill contains something to quiet the tick, and that's why so many of us don't experience it until after our first oil change.

Also you need to get over it. It's a characteristic of our cars (not a defect) and has existed as long as the Coyote has. Sorry to say.

Put some Ceratec in and move on to the next issue that bothers you about the car. 👍🏻

Gnatsum21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Former: GT 21 Roush Twister Orange RIP | ECO 2016
1662666838611.png

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Im not willing to get over it. Getting over things just because the manufacturer tells you it’s “normal” doesn’t mean it is.
Just imagine if for every defect on a certain item the manufacturer tells you it’s normal and you have to “get over it”. It will reach a point were you will be buying a pice of crap because you obeyed to get over all of its defects, lowering standards and customers expectations.
That being said, in a capitalistic market we need to have competition. We need manufacturers to go above and beyond to create better products thus generating more sales and competitive pricing, and create even more competition. Manufacturers win and we, as customers, win.

Im a firm believer of capitalism, competition, and I feel that “getting over” defects is somewhat a conformist , mediocre approach.

1 and 2 I agree. 3 I dont. 4,5,6 Ok, sure.

**I saw that sticky thread later— I tried to delete this post afterwards so I could post this there but was too late.
OK, but at the end of the day you have 2 choices as there is no fix.
1. Ceratec
2. Sell

Sponsored

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
OK, but at the end of the day you have 2 choices as there is no fix.
1. Ceratec
2. Sell
At the end of the day we go to bed. I hate corporate speak. :crackup:

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
Tick-Spoon-2636931291.jpg

OP: sell the Mustang, you will never be happy with it.

The GTI driver heard my engine tick... but not for long! ;)

Last edited:

scotty

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Honestly, stop stressing over it.

Anecdotal evidence, but I've had the tick for over 5 years now... a little over 4 of those have been with a blower. Numerous runs at the strip, WOT pulls on the highway, a few autocross events, some lapping days... not driven lightly by any means. Almost 60,000 miles accumulated over that time period, and:

- No abnormal oil consumption
- No power loss
- No mechanical issues whatsoever

Put some Ceratec in it or get a loud exhaust. Ford isn't going to do anything about it.
If it really bugs you so much that you can't enjoy the car, then I guess you're left with no choice but to get rid of it... but that seems like a rash overreaction in my opinion.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I vote try the Ceratec. You don't even need that much per oil change. I don't use it because my engine's tick is extremely quiet, I have to really try to hear it even when I'm next to a wall or something that echos back.

paulm1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
pau
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT mustang
Another boron additive option is archoil 9100. Thats what i use, 1.2oz per quart of oil. It does not discolor the oil. First learned about it years ago watching leno's garage.
Sponsored