Sponsored

Joined the Whipple Club, Any Advice For a First Timer?

OP
OP
96gt4.6

96gt4.6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium/A6, 2020 Explorer ST
Well so far so good as far as any other issues, no leaks or problems other than my Continental belt started chirping. Lasted around 200 miles so about double the OEM gates. I have since switched to an OEM Motorcraft belt, which is highly textured on the back side....almost like sandpaper if you will. So far, 300 miles, 10 pulls later it is still whisper quiet. I have checked alignment, I just do not see a reason for the problem. If the noise comes back I am going to switch to an alternate belt routing as outlined by another member on the Whipple squeak thread.
Sponsored

FLYIN4D

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
All good info guys, as I am looking at blower options at this very moment.

Do these Whipple kits come custom with chosen parts or just several different variations they provide from kit to kit to the customer?

18 Smoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang GT PP1 400a

Do these Whipple kits come custom with chosen parts or just several different variations they provide from kit to kit to the customer?
There are complete kits and tuner kits. For the best options for your particular application, call PBD, Beefcake or Lethal. They all offer packages from mild to wild. Enjoy

Gee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
There are complete kits and tuner kits. For the best options for your particular application, call PBD, Beefcake or Lethal. They all offer packages from mild to wild. Enjoy
Also depends what you want, do you care about emissions and live in a CARB state (like me), might want to opt for Whipple package complete system with CARB EO. If not, either of the shops smoke mentioned can set you up with a custom package and tune.

FLYIN4D

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
^^^^Thank you^^^^

I’ll need a CARB EO setup. Emissions required. I’m not looking to set records or break parts every other weekend. Will probably never see a dragstrip, just some nice straight and twisty roads in my area. I just want something that has some extra ONIONS on tap! I’ll continue to read/research what’s going to be best for my situation.

Someone mentioned in this thread that OPG change is not required for a Whipple install. Any truth to that? Or is the OPG change only required on centrifugal setups only?

Sponsored

Gee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
The are a million threads about OPG & TS. Just do some searching and reading and decide for yourself if they are needed for YOUR application. I'd focus on posts the last year or so. Some did them, some didn't. I'm in the "didn't" camp from the research I did and people I talked to about MY application and goals.

I was in a similar position. Not looking for world beating power, rather just fun on the street with a handful of trips to the drag strip a year. I also didn't ever want to deal with state inspection issues. I've been through that with previous cars and it was just a PITA. Both the Whipple stg 1 & 2 complete kits are 50 state legal w/ CARB EO. I know others have gone the custom parts list route along with a custom tune and have been able to get their readiness lights to come on for inspection, I just didn't want to chance it. I worked with @beefcake to get some info and kit ordered. He's extremely responsive and helpful and reps nearly every system out there.

OP
OP
96gt4.6

96gt4.6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Whipple claims right on their website, no internal modifications required, and to boot you can purchase an optional powertrain warranty to go with that. That seems to say a lot about the OPG issue, in my opinion. The only reason I did them was because with my skill set (OEM dealer tech), the labor was free so really it was just a few hours and the cost of the gears for me to upgrade.

My personal opinion, if you have the means or want added peace of mind, do the gears. Are they necessary, probably not if you go off of the basis that the OEM manufacturer of the kit states. However, a lot of outfits that sell these kits do recommend doing it, and they have a lot of crazy fast cars to back that up too.

Essentially, comes down to personal preference. Lots of guys with -0- issues running more power than the kits come with, and no opg's.

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang

feel free to give me a ring on my cell 513-478-1965 with any questions and we'll get you dialed in

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang

feel free to give me a ring on my cell 513-478-1965 with any questions and we'll get you dialed in

Sponsored
OP
OP
96gt4.6

96gt4.6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So a little over 1k miles on the setup so far, and no issues other than the small coolant leak and belt squeak which was repaired around 800 miles ago.

For those wondering, I ended up switching to a Motorcraft OEM belt, which is HEAVILY textured on the back side and not smooth or slick at all vs the Gates and Continental OEM series. Additionally, it looks more proper with the Motorcraft name under the hood and visible, I think.

Car has been perfect otherwise. I really have to hand it to Whipple on their tuning, thing drives perfect. E/T was exactly where I had expected and Dyno results were exactly as I had expected as well.

110% worth the money for the Whipple kit, in my opinion. Considering this is just the stage 1, knowing there is the stage 2 upgrade, and smaller pulley/better fuel if you ever want more out of it really is a plus as well. Although for my needs, this is plenty.

OP
OP
96gt4.6

96gt4.6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pretty darn happy with my new PB last night!

Still running the 255 Nitto's out back. I am using the boost by gear to limit power to whatever the track can handle in 1st. This time out I left the power reduction the same as last outing, but tried brake stalling the car a little on the line. I had some wheel spin, but not too bad. ET was close to the same. Came around, moved the 1st gear power up more, and then left off idle, rolling into the throttle. It stuck perfectly and off we went.

No doubt this is a low 11 second car with some wider tires and putting the power fully open in 1st. I'm super happy even as it sits for the entry level Whipple kit on pump gas/boostane and completely stock otherwise. Car is super sneaky, with full exhaust and cats nobody expects it to rip up top once the boost comes fully on! haha.

No real 'ideal' race days here yet. As you can see, this is also being ran at a very high corrected D/A. I wish we could have those negative D/A days like down south and out east/west! Also, being Kansas, it's like you are racing beside a small tornado with sustained 30mph winds coming from your side.

OP
OP
96gt4.6

96gt4.6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So I finally got off my butt and ordered new wheels and tires. Went with a 305 NT05 Nitto out back, hopefully that is enough to get it down at the strip. If not, I did get a 10" wheel so I can always switch it up to a different compound.

DavidHuff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 5.0
^^^^Thank you^^^^

I’ll need a CARB EO setup. Emissions required. I’m not looking to set records or break parts every other weekend. Will probably never see a dragstrip, just some nice straight and twisty roads in my area. I just want something that has some extra ONIONS on tap! I’ll continue to read/research what’s going to be best for my situation.

Someone mentioned in this thread that OPG change is not required for a Whipple install. Any truth to that? Or is the OPG change only required on centrifugal setups only?
I have a 2017 Ford Mustang Auto with the Stage 2 Kit with the Whipple Tune/CARB Legal and went 11.09ET 131MPH a few weeks back.Sure was fun to drive it to and from track.

Bigswollnasty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 A10 Mustang 5.0
So I finally got off my butt and ordered new wheels and tires. Went with a 305 NT05 Nitto out back, hopefully that is enough to get it down at the strip. If not, I did get a 10" wheel so I can always switch it up to a different compound.

I hope you got the NT05R and not the regular NT05. you wont get any traction without the "R" model.
Sponsored