Join me in fixing the center speaker issue

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
I did not want to take my dash apart. I have NO rattles anywhere and did not want to introduce any. I just cut the wire and have no regrets. :)
I can see why you went that route after me breaking something lol. I'm going to see if I can glue the tab back on or something if I do wind up getting it apart. Hard to say if that would work or not....
Sponsored

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
Okay after some work and 3 lost clips LOL I got this done and it does sound so much better. I couldn't find any missing clips and I wasn't tearing stuff too much apart to go after them. I did try to find them but I gave up after a decent effort to locate them. One was still in a hole and when I went to tweezer it out it fell just as I thought I had it.... oh well. So I put the dash back on without 3 clips and it seems fine so far. I'm going to see if I can buy a few of them from my Ford Dealer at some point but after a while I'll forget about them likely. But I would add a couple pics below that may help some.

I found popping up the speaker grill at the front (closest to you) its easy to remove. I then removed the 2 speaker bolts, lifted it out and unplugged it. I then Zip tied the plug as others did to somewhat secure it & then just put the speaker back in and pressed the grill back down in place. I couldn't see or reach in as some others had but this was pretty quick and easy to remove.

1.jpg
3.jpg

Last edited:

Deleted member 35786

This unit is located behind the driver’s side kick panel. You can simply unplug the indicated connector and snip that green wire. I did mine in less than 10 seconds, took longer to tape off the ends. I cut mine about 2 inches from the connect in case I wanted to reconnect it, but that is never going to happen now. :)
Have you or anyone tried to push the green wire pin out instead of cutting it?

Smokey613

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Convertible Race Red
Vehicle Showcase
Have you or anyone tried to push the green wire pin out instead of cutting it?
Never tried pushing the pin out. It is an easy reversal with a connector and I have the connector and crimp tool already. That said, I cannot ever imagine wanting to reconnect that POS speaker. :)

Reactions: GTP

Sponsored

Cueball

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kia Optima EX, 2015 Ford Mustang GT Premium
The center grill over the speaker does not come off without removing all the front trim? Terrible design.

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
The center grill over the speaker does not come off without removing all the front trim? Terrible design.
I think the silver dash thing may overlap the end of the grille slightly. It is easy to get off and put back on but losing a few clips is almost a given I'd say. I have some on order from Ebay so I can make sure all the clips are on at some point again. Looking at this pic I posted there are 2 tabs on the grill that sit under the silver thing so I don't think its possible.

tabs.jpg

Last edited:

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
I have some on order from Ebay so I can make sure all the clips are on at some point again.
tabs.jpg
Got a link to those clips? I think I found all of mine this time, but having spares is a good idea.

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
Got a link to those clips? I think I found all of mine this time, but having spares is a good idea.
Yes I ordered these.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/50-x-Center...ash=item542dc3a6ea:g:c-wAAOSw4ltaoP8u&vxp=mtr

I haven't received them yet but another member assured me they would work. So if its a lie from me it was a lie to me LOL. Cripes I couldn't find mine had the glove box half out then pulled the radio faceplate out & never saw one of them geez. So I just stopped and put it back on minus 3 clips and ordered these. I figure its a 2 minute fix once they get here.

Sponsored

BleedNBlue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT Premium; 2018 Toyota 4Runner ORP; 2007 Sea Ray 270 SLX
Vehicle Showcase
Last edited:

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
@ Qcman17,
Mine were just balancing in the slots so I used forceps to fish them out, like playing 'operation'. I guess I have surgical skills dude...lol

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Magnetic/Showstopper Red, 401A, Active Exhaust
For those who can’t find the clips - both times I removed the dash panels, at least one clip ended up underneath the rug on the passenger side near the fuse box. You have to pull up the rug to get to it.

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
@ Qcman17,
Mine were just balancing in the slots so I used forceps to fish them out, like playing 'operation'. I guess I have surgical skills dude...lol
LOL good comparison. One of mine did that but when I used tweezers to pull it out it fell in over the radio. I guess I really did suck at that operation game for real afterall!

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
Okay just a quick follow up. First I have to say this mod has completely changed my opinion of the stereo. I was going to spend a good amount of coin in the Spring to improve this damned thing. Now with this change & a couple minor adjustments including fading more to the front speakers it sounds really darned good!

Secondly I did install the Ebay clips I bought replacing the missing ones and can confirm they are a perfect fit! My OCD is vibrating however due to the mismatched colors lol.

View attachment 406166
full dash piece 2.jpg
Sponsored

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0
Last edited: