JMS Fuel Pump Booster on my 2018 GT, A10, 3.0 Whipple - 93 vs. E85

HRSEPLA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
A Bunch
Just a quick note that I experienced with my car last week.
My 2018 GT, Whipple 3.0, A10, longtubes, no cats car ran great with 93 octane with the ID1050X injectors and DW400 fuel pump.
I changed to E85 and added the JMS Fuel Pump Booster at the same time to (hopefully) ensure I had enough fuel volume with the larger 3.875 pulley.

I set the JMS up and hit the toggle switch for the 22 volt option, thinking if 18V at WOT is good, 22V is better right? WRONG! (for my car at least)

We made a few logs and saw that my fuel pressure was dropping above 6000 rpms... I went to the search tab here and began looking for content on others settings and then spoke with robw_39 on here and I have been talking lately comparing combinations and he was running the 18V option.
I switched to the 18V and made a log and sure enough, I had solid pressure again with no drop on E85 and the 3.875 pulley!
I ran the 18V at the track last week and it was solid so now I am going to try the 3.625 pulley soon and log to see if the pressure will sustain with a little more power. I know we are on the ragged edge with these cars fuel volume wise at this power level and the 100% safer and best option is to move to the complete fuel system and that will be in the future for me.
Maybe this was common knowledge for others already but I wanted to share my experience before someone may assume like I did and has a costly mistake.
Curtis/Mustang Mods told me, when weighing in your cost for a larger build, look at the cost of a fuel system vs. a Boost-a-pump expense so you don't have to buy twice..... like I am going to.
I'll update as I test later this week.
Sponsored

gimmie11s

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Murica!
Great info and makes sense. Pump is probably overheating and/or overworked at 22v.

All that said... 140+ mph traps with nothing else fuel-wise other than injectors and a BAP... great times we live in!

Good thing you didn't buy a Camaro!

OP
OP
HRSEPLA

HRSEPLA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
A Bunch
Great info and makes sense. Pump is probably overheating and/or overworked at 22v.

All that said... 140+ mph traps with nothing else fuel-wise other than injectors and a BAP... great times we live in!

Good thing you didn't buy a Camaro!
Yes, JMS said the pump was probably cavitating at that voltage.
Good times indeed!
Us old schoolers used to chase 550 flywheel horsepower with a 255lph pump and a T-Rex external pump on our Foxbodies! And then crack the block in half. Lol

Sponsored

OP
OP
HRSEPLA

HRSEPLA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
A Bunch

Mustang Mods

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
mustangmodsstore.com
First Name
Curtis
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
18 volts does help with cavitation. You are very close on fuel and are probably a pulley away from needing a fuel system. We actually helped Fore with the fittings and design for the 2018 Whipple kit so we have lots of experience with the new car. Let me know when you are ready.

Car is running great!

OP
OP
HRSEPLA

HRSEPLA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
A Bunch
18 volts does help with cavitation. You are very close on fuel and are probably a pulley away from needing a fuel system. We actually helped Fore with the fittings and design for the 2018 Whipple kit so we have lots of experience with the new car. Let me know when you are ready.

Car is running great!
You’ve been great Curtis, you’ve been accurate every step of the way here!

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
Thank you again for sharing all your results /experience .
I am anxiously awaiting your results with the 3.625 pulley/E85 next the BAP.

That’s where I plan to stop on this car .

From my little experience with my other 2 GT’s which have inadvertently become “race cars “ that line was crossed when I swapped the fuel system to run E85 . I am sure what will happen next is upgraded injectors .It then becomes hard to resist making more power “since I now have the fuel system “

Before I know it I start building motors to support all the power I can make . Lol

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
the bap helps, but like always, if you can swing the fore setup, def the right way to go. the other think to note, for non whipple cars is rail size, 11-17 cars, we could get away with stock rails to like 900-1000 wheel on level 1 setups, with the fore, you have to have rails at the 800 or so mark, we did a lot of datalogging with lund and fore and came up with a new level1E system for the guys that have kits that don't have rails

Sponsored
OP
OP
HRSEPLA

HRSEPLA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
A Bunch
Thank you again for sharing all your results /experience .
I am anxiously awaiting your results with the 3.625 pulley/E85 next the BAP.

That’s where I plan to stop on this car .

From my little experience with my other 2 GT’s which have inadvertently become “race cars “ that line was crossed when I swapped the fuel system to run E85 . I am sure what will happen next is upgraded injectors .It then becomes hard to resist making more power “since I now have the fuel system “

Before I know it I start building motors to support all the power I can make . Lol
Thank you, I will be changing to that 3.625 pulley here in the next week to test my fuel pressure. Stay tuned!

You know I always thought the same as you with the E85! RACECAR!
I have been resistant to it for many years and this was my first use of it on any of my builds. Day One: I tested it at the pump in the test tube, filled the tank, uploaded the tune in the Nguage, close my eyes and started the car... I was ready for the sacrifice... waiting for a forever long cranking start, backfire, studder and rough running, corn smelling race car... AND....
NOTHING BAD HAPPENED. lol
The car started just like normal on 93, idled perfectly and drove fine. Actually smelled less toxic than the 93 octane with no cats...
I drove it around with no ill manners or anything... Then I stepped on it.. hmm, I felt more power, looked at the guage and saw 22* of timing, steady...
I must say that I am hooked, I have more timing, more power and the car is actually running safer with this fuel.. This E85 crapola might just catch on. LOL
I know I am late to the party but I am a fan now!
Sam

D98gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Maddox
Vehicle(s)
Just to add to this, we also had no issues with fueling with the addition of a BAP with the DW pump and ID1000s with a 3.625". Definitely required the BAP though.

Made 721/620 on the stingy mustang Dyno (same one that I made 450ish with e85/Cai/longtjbes/no resonators/etc.) and right at 400 on stock just as a reference.

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
Hey man.
Have you been back to the track yet ?

OP
OP
HRSEPLA

HRSEPLA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
A Bunch
I’m going this weekend finally! It’s been non stop rain lately.
Sponsored