Jmeo's 2020 Shelby American GT500 SE Wide Body Build (+ "Phase 2")

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 HE CFTP, '18 WK2 ,'16 Audi A7
I'm not understanding how small clearance and pebbles could do anything to visible parts of the wheels.
The pebbles get between the caliper and the inside of the rim causing the rim to get gouges in it. You can see the damage when you look between the spokes of the rim when this happens.

JN66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R, 1966 Couple (347 Stroker)

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
They can get caught between the wheel barrel and caliper and wreak havoc when the clearance is tight.
I understand that but what is the havoc done to the wheels other than cosmetic? I can understand the face of the calipers looking beat up but the suggestion was to buy extra wheels. Why order extra wheels if only the inside nobody can see gets pebble damage?

OP
OP
Jmeo

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
Great! Happy to hear that. And I am really happy for you as you act as a really good person! And I agree at the end your happiness is the one that counts and I apologise if I went overboard by pointing out those things too much. Professional deformation as I work in graphic design area and notice every detail. My intentions were not bad or jealous.

Cheers! 🍻

PS something interesting for potential upcoming upgrades 😜 : https://racingbrake.com/for-crk-01
Almost 30kg of weight savings on the wheels 😲. That would surely have a great impact on performance considering much lower rotating mass.
I appreciate your input, no worries at all. That brake kit is pretty cool. I can see a lot of others looking into those. I will be more than satisfied with a complete set of brake pads that greatly reduce brake dust for street driving. If and when I track my car, I would just throw the stock pads back in (thanks Caliperfexion). Not concerned with weight loss. Well, not at that cost for pound drop, lol.

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 HE CFTP, '18 WK2 ,'16 Audi A7
I understand that but what is the havoc done to the wheels other than cosmetic? I can understand the face of the calipers looking beat up but the suggestion was to buy extra wheels. Why order extra wheels if only the inside nobody can see gets pebble damage?
You can see the damage on the rim. You cannot see the damage to the caliper unless the wheel is removed. Would the average person walking around the car notice, meh, maybe maybe not. Is it noticeable if you look hard enough, yes.

BB3B27D3-3704-4AF0-AF9C-D080ECB6134A.jpeg

D7456557-FA65-43B0-A1AD-1F8BD06E1ABD.jpeg

OP
OP
Jmeo

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I’m pretty confident the wheels on my car will rid the possibility of rocks getting caught up. Well, compared to stock wheels that is. I’ll get some clearance measurements as soon as I get my car back.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
You can see the damage on the rim. You cannot see the damage to the caliper unless the wheel is removed. Would the average person walking around the car notice, meh, maybe maybe not. Is it noticeable if you look hard enough, yes.
Okay. I thought they were talking about the clearance between the face of the calipers and the wheels.

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
Just wow!! Can barely put words together myself. Con fricken grats Jaime!!!

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Hi Tom, you bring up good points.

The caliper clearance with the SE wheels is far greater than the stock wheels, but I did have a wheel conversation with SA none the less. BC Forged makes the wheels, and I can get them anytime I may need them, so that’s a good thing. I will have to get a specific photo of the caliper clearance once I get the car home, but this one should help show the improved clearance.

49C2F7F1-A890-4B4E-9119-2448987194C0.jpeg
That's good. I almost bought a set of the shelby wheels for one of my Rs until I saw the caliper clearance first hand. That's the reason I went with (whats his name's) wheels in the end. I must say, they are good looking wheels and if SA actually got off their Butts and corrected that issue, then that's great. I would still ask the question of what a replacement wheel would run you even if something happened down the road. I would also inquire about long term availability.

I believe SA has a seperate wheel division that makes the wheels. I figured get all that info up front before you take delivery.

OP
OP
Jmeo

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
That's good. I almost bought a set of the shelby wheels for one of my Rs until I saw the caliper clearance first hand. That's the reason I went with (whats his name's) wheels in the end. I must say, they are good looking wheels and if SA actually got off their Butts and corrected that issue, then that's great. I would still ask the question of what a replacement wheel would run you even if something happened down the road. I would also inquire about long term availability.

I believe SA has a seperate wheel division that makes the wheels. I figured get all that info up front before you take delivery.
All makes sense. The wheels are BC Forged. I will take your suggestion and work on a price, just incase.

Cruizer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Congratulations on an amazing car!!

The Viper has been my dream car since the 90's. I have no use for exotics, not my thing. But in 2017 when they announced the wide body Super Snake, it quickly became my dream car. Do they no longer have the front fender option with the wheel vents?

OP
OP
Jmeo

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Congratulations on an amazing car!!

The Viper has been my dream car since the 90's. I have no use for exotics, not my thing. But in 2017 when they announced the wide body Super Snake, it quickly became my dream car. Do they no longer have the front fender option with the wheel vents?
Thank you!

If you build a Super Snake, it starts out as a Mustang GT. That car does not already have wide front fenders like the GT350 & GT500 do. So, they widen the front fenders on those cars, and do not have to on the GT350 & GT500.

fishpick

Threads
Reaction score
Part of NY w/ high taxes to support the other part
Vehicle(s)
0 mustangs owned currently
If you build a Super Snake, it starts out as a Mustang GT.
Which is EXACTLY why a Super Snake is kinda a joke now days... YOUR car - is friggin beautiful.

@Jmeo I'm sure it's covered in the 75 pages of this post earlier - was yours a base or a CFTP to start? Asking for a friend...

Also - a buddy of mine just had those glass quarter windows installed -the photos of them (like the rest of the car I'm sure) absolutely do not do justice to how cool and sweet looking they are!

CONGRATS MAN!

OP
OP
Jmeo

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Which is EXACTLY why a Super Snake is kinda a joke now days... YOUR car - is friggin beautiful.

@Jmeo I'm sure it's covered in the 75 pages of this post earlier - was yours a base or a CFTP to start? Asking for a friend...

Also - a buddy of mine just had those glass quarter windows installed -the photos of them (like the rest of the car I'm sure) absolutely do not do justice to how cool and sweet looking they are!

CONGRATS MAN!
I hear you loud and clear on that. The people at Shelby agree with all of us, this car SHOULD be the Super Snake. One, the original Super Snakes were born from GT500’s. Their hands are tied by Ford on the use of the name, so they went with Signature Edition. Two, this car will out perform the Super Snakes, even with the slightly less crank HP rating. To be honest, I think they advertise “800+” on the SE to not offend the Super Snake people.

Doesn’t matter, the GT500 SE platform is superior to what the SS cars have, it will out perform it. That said,…… there is a Shelby coming in the near future based of the 2020+ GT500 that will be the epitome of performance. Stay tuned.

Not shy to say my car started as a base. The base was the car I wanted from the get go. Now that I ended up doing the SE, it’s even better because the suspension is all changed, the wheels are changed and I got to pick my own stripe color (which nobody yet has asked what color I went with).

I 100% agree on the quarter windows, they are SICK.To appreciate them completely, they do need to be seen. From the interior as well. That are awesome!

Did your friend get a Super Snake, or did he get the non Shelby branded version from the Shelby Store?

Thanks for the kind words :beer:

Last edited:

JN66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R, 1966 Couple (347 Stroker)
Doesn’t matter, the GT500 SE platform is superior to what the SS cars have, it will out perform it. That said,…… there is a Shelby coming in the near future based of the 2020+ GT500 that will be the epitome of performance. Stay tuned.
Oh yeah?? Haha…mailing list or something?