Jmeo's 2020 Shelby American GT500 SE Wide Body Build (+ "Phase 2")

OP
OP
Jmeo

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
Well, I think I am cancelling the wide body portion of my build. There is not a deep dish wheel being made for the wide body GT500. Apparently the larger brakes make it impossible?? The SE wheels look fine on non wide body SE, but are a huge design mistake on the wide body.

Personally I think flush faced wheels defeat the look of a wide body.

I am deflated right now and not sure what to do.

protraxduner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 Race Red
SURELY......with all the multipiece wheels being made there is something out there??

protraxduner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 Race Red
It is your car so always your choice but i can't imagine having Shelby have my car and NOT get the widebody, that would be my main reason, actually only reason for them to have my car. And even if it meant having flusher wheels i would go for widebody.

16Kobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Well, I think I am cancelling the wide body portion of my build. There is not a deep dish wheel being made for the wide body GT500. Apparently the larger brakes make it impossible?? The SE wheels look fine on non wide body SE, but are a huge design mistake on the wide body.

Jamie,

On the plus side, you will not have to wait a year and half for SA to finish the wide body.

09cs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350

Surely you can find aftermarket deep dish wheels?

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
Maybe Shelby can give you the specs/ideas on wheels and maybe Terrance @ Signature Wheels can get you a "special" set??
Good luck man.

OP
OP
Jmeo

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I will say my recent post was shooting from the hip. I absolutely love the wide body, and I know I would regret it if I didn’t get it.

I know it sounds crazy, but I have also always loved the look of SA polish deep dish wheels, especially with the embossed words SHELBY, AMERICAN, and FORGED. To me, they are a must. I really don’t want to put aftermarket wheels on a Shelby car. I don’t fee like I should have to spend this much money THEN buy another set of expensive wheels.

That said, I think I will regret it too much, so I may just get the wide body and figure the whee thing out later.

Thanks for listening to my venting guys.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
IMHO, dip dish wheels are a bit dated looking. I get Shelby is a bit ol' school, but a modern wheel design will look better.

I mean, here's a Lamborghini Aventador ($421K), that uses a 21x9 (f), and a massive 21x13 rear running a 355/25-21, and note the wheel design:

1606790112696.png

A nice concave design, but not a 5-6" lip. I mean, heck, look at the OEM GT500 wheels, there's a reason for that design.

What wheels are they offering as part of the widebody GT500 package?

I had some deep lip wheels in the past, but kind of moved on with more modern designs. :)

OP
OP
Jmeo

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
IMHO, dip dish wheels are a bit dated looking. I get Shelby is a bit ol' school, but a modern wheel design will look better.

I mean, here's a Lamborghini Aventador ($421K), that uses a 21x9 (f), and a massive 21x13 rear running a 355/25-21, and note the wheel design:

1606790112696.png

A nice concave design, but not a 5-6" lip. I mean, heck, look at the OEM GT500 wheels, there's a reason for that design.

What wheels are they offering as part of the widebody GT500 package?

I had some deep lip wheels in the past, but kind of moved on with more modern designs. :)
I agree with you on the non wide body cars. Their wheel looks great on that.

When you spend $20,000 to make the rear quarters wider, you want them to look wider. If you put a flush faced wheel on the car, to someone who doesn’t know the wide body was done, it’s not going to look very much different from original.

Also, exotic cars would look stupid with a deep dish wheel. This is Mustang, which I still believe is a muscle car. Big difference to me. Every single wide body before the 2020 GT500 has deep dish. and probably for the reasons I mentioned.

Bottom line, for the money invested, they should be able to accommodate what the buyer wants.

I appreciate your feedback, and on the exotics, I completely agree.

Here are the included wheels

BB5544C9-B5DA-4CD4-AB48-842B9EDDBCD6.jpeg

22B6353A-1B3F-4D5E-ACE4-C14DB919F85D.jpeg

32C62D1C-D750-48A0-B571-FC28BA7A5ABD.jpeg

5AA1F47D-7BA7-4827-854F-1FB40483F4ED.jpeg

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
The exotic was kind of an extreme example :D I kind of get the Mustang/muscle vibe, I just think that design is a bit ol' school, but again, that may be the look you want, and obviously, that's totally subjective.

There's a few folks on this board with deeper dish/lip'ed wheels, not widebody, but in the 10.5-11" range, they're __OK__. Hell, I love the Shelby wheels you posted, they're pretty conspicuously different, a notable concave face, a super deep hub pocket - plus when they're under the killer wide fender treatment, I can't imagine it not dropping jaws :)

This is a set of iForged had custom made for my Z06, they had a pretty decent lip (had some CCW track wheels mounted in the background):

IMGP2329_800.jpg

OP
OP
Jmeo

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The exotic was kind of an extreme example :D I kind of get the Mustang/muscle vibe, I just think that design is a bit ol' school, but again, that may be the look you want, and obviously, that's totally subjective.

There's a few folks on this board with deeper dish/lip'ed wheels, not widebody, but in the 10.5-11" range, they're __OK__. Hell, I love the Shelby wheels you posted, they're pretty conspicuously different, a notable concave face, a super deep hub pocket - plus when they're under the killer wide fender treatment, I can't imagine it not dropping jaws :)

This is a set of iForged had custom made for my Z06, they had a pretty decent lip (had some CCW track wheels mounted in the background):

IMGP2329_800.jpg
See now even that lip would be acceptable to me. Again, I get where you are coming from. For me I fell in love with the wide body because of the widened rear AND the deep dish wheels. I guess it’s hard for me not to have both at this point.

I will more than likely go forward with the wide body, and figure something out with the wheels. It’s just a shame I even feel this way is all.

Surfergeek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2004 Corvette Z06, 2020 F150 Platinum, 2019 Yukon Denali XL
I vote for still getting the wide body too. It’s totally unique and looks amazing.

it’s funny how our experiences shape how we view different design cues. I got into cars in the import scene originally. To me, a deep dish, RX-7 FD, Nissan GT-R, Honda S2000, Toyota Supra and other cars from the late 90s early 2000s.

Muscle cars didn’t come across my radar and the Shelby story / heritage until about 10 years ago. I am fully committed now!

The wide body and the wheels that come with it look great. If you want to change it up I am sure we have some great vendors with amazing choices to help you out. That’s the cool part about wheels. The easiest thing to change.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Gotta have the widebody....

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
it’s funny how our experiences shape how we view different design cues. I got into cars in the import scene originally. To me, a deep dish, [...], Toyota Supra and other cars from the late 90s early 2000s.
:rockon:

Beach_Supra1.jpg

Gotta have the widebody....
I've been working really hard on mine since Thanksgiving, figure by Christmas, I'll have a good extra 6" on my rear end ...