Jmeo's 2020 Shelby American GT500 SE Wide Body Build (+ "Phase 2")

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
No argue here, just tech. I'm just telling you that the issue is not what it once was. Previous generations were notorious. My good friend Van has run well over 200mph at various events and has held Texas Mile records. Just a loose example of how bad it was on an S197 with a Super Snake hood...

An SS hood at 192 miles per hour bounces violently up down and makes contact with the supercharger. With the ram air blocked off and the seams between hood and quarter panels taped off properly it doesn't move at all, even at 220...
Note what he was implying how different it was with some minor attention. And what I'm saying is that the 2020 is in another league. Airflow through the grille and out the hood with this car makes this entirely different than it used to be with respect to the much larger vent.

Supercomputers-Helped-Create-the-2020-Ford-Mustang-Shelby-GT500_o.jpg

computer-rendering-of-the-aerodynamics-of-a-2020-Ford-Mustang-Shelby-GT500_o.jpg

The S197 could have used this type of management. The hood vents on this '07-'09 GT500 at high speed just didn't get the job done and as a result the hood was doing it's best to rip itself off the car (please excuse the fireworks...).

4025802845_1989de6c0e_o.jpg

obspsd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keller
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Auto Ruby Red
Also the rain tray may have still been in place (Causing more lift) in the street races I watched.
Either way, I wish it could go over 200mph in stock form.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's a good point about the rain tray. It would be interesting to learn (or actually see) how much different the hood moves (vertically) with it in versus out.

Initially, I think we all wanted to hear that it actually could go over 200 outside of the track in Nardo that Ford chose to run the '13 car but that nobody could replicate anywhere else. That said, if Ford truly saw 180mph as the sweet spot, or best compromise, between a car that can run straight and turn - so be it. It's a balancing act and I think we got an extremely well rounded car. No doubt Ford could have chased the 200mph number if they wanted the car to favor straight line racing but they wanted a pig that could somehow carve corners and defy gravity too.

obspsd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keller
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Auto Ruby Red
That's a good point about the rain tray. It would be interesting to learn (or actually see) how much different the hood moves (vertically) with it in versus out.

Initially, I think we all wanted to hear that it actually could go over 200 outside of the track in Nardo that Ford chose to run the '13 car but that nobody could replicate anywhere else. That said, if Ford truly saw 180mph as the sweet spot, or best compromise, between a car that can run straight and turn - so be it. It's a balancing act and I think we got an extremely well rounded car. No doubt Ford could have chased the 200mph number if they wanted the car to favor straight line racing but they wanted a pig that could somehow carve corners and defy gravity too.
I completely agree.

ParsonsWV

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350, 2002 C5
So yesterday Shelby America was at the local Ford dealer since it was mustang week here. Got to see my first GT500 in person. The grabber lime (my original color choice) looked better in person than in pics I have seen. The GT500 SE they brought was a prototype but took a few pictures. The pulley they are using is 100% griptec or however it is spelled. The guy there told me they are still working on the exhaust for the package and prototyping other parts still as well. By what he said the SE is going to be 800 whp. I was always confused on what they advertised for HP

OP
OP
Jmeo

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
So yesterday Shelby America was at the local Ford dealer since it was mustang week here. Got to see my first GT500 in person. The grabber lime (my original color choice) looked better in person than in pics I have seen. The GT500 SE they brought was a prototype but took a few pictures. The pulley they are using is 100% griptec or however it is spelled. The guy there told me they are still working on the exhaust for the package and prototyping other parts still as well. By what he said the SE is going to be 800 whp. I was always confused on what they advertised for HP
Feel free to post the pictures of the SE car you saw, I would love to see them.

I do know they are dialing in the exhaust setup, that was one of my many questions to Vince.

The HP will be north of 800, but it will be crank hp, not wheel hp.

ParsonsWV

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350, 2002 C5
Feel free to post the pictures of the SE car you saw, I would love to see them.

I do know they are dialing in the exhaust setup, that was one of my many questions to Vince.

The HP will be north of 800, but it will be crank hp, not wheel hp.
When my ass figures out how to post pics I will. I'm 28 and everyone older than me here is more tech savvy lol. I only took 5 and no full car pics. I will work on it tomorrow. Took a pic of seats, pulley, rear, hood and dash. Not great quality as it was my phone.

DonnieO

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donnie
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt cs
Loving this thread! Lots of great information

OP
OP
Jmeo

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
When my ass figures out how to post pics I will. I'm 28 and everyone older than me here is more tech savvy lol. I only took 5 and no full car pics. I will work on it tomorrow. Took a pic of seats, pulley, rear, hood and dash. Not great quality as it was my phone.
No worries my friend, I will gladly look at your phone pictures, that's all I use too. If you open this thread on your phone, you can attach the pictures directly form the phone, as long as they are not "live" photos. Apple's Live Photos are not supported here. What I have done in the past, before I turned off Live Photos, was open the picture either on the phone, or computer, and take a snap shot of it, which creates a pdf, or jpeg, which is supported here.

OP
OP
Jmeo

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Loving this thread! Lots of great information
Thanks, I am looking forward to keeping this thread up to date as I get more information. It's what's going to keep me sane throughout this process. Well, sane "ish" I should say, lol.

DonnieO

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donnie
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt cs
Thanks, I am looking forward to keeping this thread up to date as I get more information. It's what's going to keep me sane throughout this process. Well, sane "ish" I should say, lol.
I'll buy you some beers if you need a few! You could talk to epiphany about a foot massage!

protraxduner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 Race Red
Something must have gotten lost in the translation along the way. A 2" lower ride height would cause quite a few issues including related to the roll center, increased bump steer, steering response, camber gain curve, etc, as well as significantly reduced suspension travel - the car would live on the bump stops. In addition, the tires would likely be making contact with the wheel well liners quite often.

Is Shelby doing an SLA or is the "custom suspension" strut based?
Exactly my point, i lowered My GT500 just over 1" and the splitter was 3.5 inches off the ground, add another 1" and your talking 2.5 inch splitter clearance == NOT drivable on street.....Not to mention everything Epiphany said......

A3Herman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Herman
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
D9297A54-F55D-47C9-9AFB-66DAC86060FC.jpeg

You are going to enjoy the GT500 wb SE. Mine is a 50th Anniversary SS wb. It has the Penske racing suspension and will carve 1.5 g on the skid pad. It’s a blast to drive. You will be able to put a smaller pulley on it and get more HP out of it. The motor and whipple will take it. The 5.2L will take the HP, it just needs to breath. Mine is a gen 2 Coyote and has Kooks headers, high flow cats and a 3.75 pulley. It’s been dyno’d at 750 WHP on 93 Octane. You might consider some frame strengthening if you plan to push above 900HP.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Now that is one sexy sumbitch!