Jmeo's 2020 Shelby American GT500 SE Wide Body Build (+ "Phase 2")

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Jamie...my thoughts... (that would be @Jmeo for the forum bot. <grin> )

First, the waiting now has to be excruciating and the dilemma over WB and wheels just adds fuel to the fire I'm sure. Unfortunately but not unexpectedly, I, like you, haven't an answer, at least at the moment because, again, like you, your car days were similar to mine in terms of likes/dislikes.

As you can see, the deep dish wheel design above is what I grew up with as well so I feel you, I really do. No WB's back then but we all had to worry about fender strikes as we made our own WB's. :cool:

That said, I do believe DT is right on the money with regard to "the look" and of course each of our opinions in almost every case would lean toward our previous history with wheels. Just makes sense.

Now, whether or not it is a "dated" design is again, completely subjective, but I do think the "dating" part is unavoidable and the newer, flater, more aero wheels are the style or at least I think they are as DT suggested. I think the manufacturerers have pushed design to the point where aerodynamics have become the meat and potatoes for designers if for no other reason than fuel economy and of course, along with that line of thinking comes more aerodynamic wheel designs. Unavoidable I expect.

But back to back in the day... <grin>

I would take that car to the drive-in with the current female companion, back in to the spot, put the seat and hatch to the trunk down, (I think Plymouth had surfers in mind...who knows,) and the non rear end-raised version would have been perfect for watching a movie even with the horrible audio. (Not that anyone cared.) :cool:

BUT, with the rear end up that much higher, I had to let the air shocks down a good bit so we could see the whole screen through the back window and that meant a VERY careful drive for about a mile to the nearest gas station with air after the show. <smile>

As Monte and the boys were known to say,

"Ah yes, those were the days." <chuckling>

KB

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Well, I think I am cancelling the wide body portion of my build. There is not a deep dish wheel being made for the wide body GT500. Apparently the larger brakes make it impossible?? The SE wheels look fine on non wide body SE, but are a huge design mistake on the wide body.

Personally I think flush faced wheels defeat the look of a wide body.

I am deflated right now and not sure what to do.
As.much as I hate to say it, call terrance up. He may be able to work a wheel out for you.

Edited to add:
I never was much of a fan of those shelby wheels. The ones I have seen on GT350s all have very very tight caliper clearances. All they have going for them is the name shelby on them.

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
Hey Jaime, what's up brother!
Any updates on your car?

OP
OP
Jmeo

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
Jmeo

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Would love to know about this.
Yes, they will gladly put Shelby on the brakes!
Until the GT350, and now GT500 Shelby cars started life as a base GT Mustang, with base brakes. These cars do not have the much larger calipers & rotors (GT350), or the massive GT500 ones, so they could easily make deep dish wheels for these cars. They also used Wilwood brake kits, with “Shelby” badging on them. as of now, there is not a deep dish wheel that will work with the GT500 calipers.

I can opt for them to paint my calipers and apply the “Shelby” badging, but I am unsure if I want to do that to my car.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jmeo

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Looks like they color matched the calipers as well.
Yes, I can have my calipers painted any color I want .... at a cost naturally. As of now I do not plan to change my caliper color, or lettering.

A3Herman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Herman
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Until the GT350, and now GT500 Shelby cars started life as a base GT Mustang, with base brakes. These cars do not have the much larger calipers & rotors (GT350), or the massive GT500 ones, so they could easily make deep dish wheels for these cars. They also used Wilwood brake kits, with “Shelby” badging on them. as Of now, there is not a deep dish wheel that will work with the GT500 calipers.

I can opt for them to paint my calipers and apply the “Shelby” badging, but I am unsure if I want to do that to my car.

A3Herman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Herman
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
The GT500 brakes will look killer stock. There’s no need to change them. Not to hard to powder coat any color you like and decal them yourself.

The brakes on my SS are Brembo. The stock brakes off the Mustang GT Premium were replaced.

OP
OP
Jmeo

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The GT500 brakes will look killer stock. There’s no need to change them. Not to hard to powder coat any color you like and decal them yourself.

The brakes on my SS are Brembo. The stock brakes off the Mustang GT Premium were replaced.
I go back and forth If I should change the color of them or not. To be honest, I don’t think I’d change from the red anyway, but I would like SHELBY branding simply because this is a once in a lifetime car, and experience for me. I’d like to do it right the first time with no “regerts”.

I can see your calipers say Brembo, but I was under the impression the main calipers (brake kit) is actually Wilwood. They must have more than one offering.

Last edited: