Jmeo's 2020 Shelby American GT500 SE Wide Body Build (+ "Phase 2")

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘09 GT500KR & ‘16 GT350 Track Pack & ‘20 GT500 HP
If only the hood fit the 350s...
Looking at them side-by-side, it sure looks like it would fit:
- Winshield area is the same. Hinges are the same.
- Core support is the same (2020+ have the hood pin mounting area). Headlights are the same.
- Appears the front contour is really close.
- GT500 fenders are wider, but that’s outside the hood.
So Maybe? :fingerscrossed:

I would bet Shelby American knows, and would want to get their hands on those spare hoods if they do...
In fact, if they do fit, they could add their new CF hood to GT350’s as well (and therefore sell a bunch).

09cs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Looking at them side-by-side, it sure looks like it would fit:
- Winshield area is the same. Hinges are the same.
- Core support is the same (2020+ have the hood pin mounting area). Headlights are the same.
- Appears the front contour is really close.
- GT500 fenders are wider, but that’s outside the hood.
So Maybe? :fingerscrossed:

I would bet Shelby American knows, and would want to get their hands on those spare hoods if they do...
In fact, if they do fit, they could add their new CF hood to GT350’s as well (and therefore sell a bunch).
Someone on the 350 forum did the conversion. Big difference is the fender was the fender to hood gap by the driver side. on the 350, it covers the windshield wiper, and the 500 does not. Let me see if I can find the thread

EDIT: Here you go https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/installing-gt500-hood-on-gt350.135428/

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘09 GT500KR & ‘16 GT350 Track Pack & ‘20 GT500 HP
I remember that now. His last comment is telling: “Added to fender, also rework the fenders because the arch of fender to hood was different. Had to shorten front of hood above headlights. Also had to do a bunch other things. Was much more of a project than I originally thought.”

RapidResponder

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 CFTP, 2022 Shelby SSS, 2023 Raptor R
2" lowered springs has to be a mistake, no way your driving this car that low...not even on a track i don't believe....
Not a mistake, but a custom Shelby GT500 suspension being currently driven on prototypes with great success. Said to be streetable as factory but exceptional on the track. Yes, 2” is a lot for aftermarket, but not for Ford Performance Partner Shelby American who has designed and rigorously tested this proprietary package from scratch.

Regardless, Shelby’s claim is thisalong with their new proprietary suspension tune, will contribute to better track performance and higher track speed than factory CFTP.

The 2020 GT500 SE Wide-body is engineered for performance above and beyond the factory GT500. Come out to a Shelby Track Event and find out.

Aftermarket engineering is not the same as Ford Performance Partner Engineering. In other words, replacement parts are not the same as engineered and tested parts behind a tried and true American quality name.

RR

Last edited:

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Not a mistake, but a custom Shelby GT500 suspension being currently driven on prototypes with great success. Said to be streetable as factory but exceptional on the track. Yes, 2” is a lot for aftermarket, but not for Ford Performance Partner Shelby American who has designed and rigorously tested this proprietary package from scratch.

Regardless, Shelby’s claim is thisalong with their new proprietary suspension tune, will contribute to better track performance and higher track speed than factory CFTP.

The 2020 GT500 SE Wide-body is engineered for performance above and beyond the factory GT500. Come out to a Shelby Track Event and find out.

Aftermarket engineering is not the same as Ford Performance Partner Engineering. In other words, replacement parts are not the same as engineered and tested parts behind a tried and true American quality name.

RR
So Shelby is going to eliminate the speed governor built into the PCM via a tune?

OP
OP
Jmeo

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase

RR
Thanks again my friend for taking care of me yesterday. That was one of the best phone calls I've had in a while. I learned some interesting things about my "future" car, and I owe it all to you.

OP
OP
Jmeo

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
So Shelby is going to eliminate the speed governor built into the PCM via a tune?
From what I have learned, they will not touch the PCM calibration, only the suspension calibration. They could however have plans to increase the top speed, but I did not ask that question, so I can't say with any certainty.

RapidResponder

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
And you need to run above 180 MPH?

Yesterday I was told that attempting to commercially alter the tune will lock the PCM. At the same time, recognized Ford Performance Partners have specific agreements allowing them to modify engine, transmission and suspension tuning to support performance development.

Regarding the details of the 180 MPH PCM governing, I would guess that the reasoning behind Ford's implementation still stands. I can certainly ask when I get a chance.

Jaime, what say you?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jmeo

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

Yesterday I was told that attempting to commercially alter the tune will lock the PCM. At the same time, recognized Ford Performance Partners have specific agreements allowing them to modify engine, transmission and suspension tuning to support performance development.

Regarding the details of the 180 MPH PCM governing, I would guess that the reasoning behind Ford's implementation still stands. I can certainly ask when I get the chance.

Jaime, what say you?
I suspect they will not raise the governed mph limit. My interpretation was the car will out perform the CFTP on suspension alone.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible

Regarding the details of the 180 MPH PCM governing, I would guess that the reasoning behind Ford's implementation still stands. I can certainly ask when I get a chance.

Jaime, what say you?
Yes I do. My track is Daytona. I could easily see exceeding that.

You said " will contribute to better track performance and higher track speed than factory CFTP "

So what is it?

OP
OP
Jmeo

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I could be wrong, but I think he was meaning it will be able to maintain higher speeds, due to the suspension changes, not that it will have a higher top MPH.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
I could be wrong, but I think he was meaning it will be able to maintain higher speeds, due to the suspension changes, not that it will have a higher top MPH.
Thats all fine. I saw that comment and read between the lines that a tune would be available through Shelby that would eliminate the 180 MPH speed limiter.

Most tracks in the country would not benefit from the 180 MPH limitation, some would. I never did get an answer as to why Ford did that. Downforce load? Tire limitations? Lawyers? Insurance?

Anyway, it really doesn't matter. I was just reacting to a statement that was made.

This is what 526 HP will do. Imagine 760? Imagine a tune on top of that? Imagine the lap times based upon that?

Sorry Jaime, Again, I was just reacting to a comment that was said.

Screenshot_20190101-102441.png

OP
OP
Jmeo

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
@Tomster you have nothing at all to be sorry about. I love any and all discussion, especially pertaining to what will be my car. As a matter of fact, I welcome it.

I had the pleasure of speaking with Vince LaViolette yesterday, and I was asking him questions about what is in store for me and my car. He told me that he was not recalibrating the PCM, only the suspension calibration. This does not mean he will not adjust the MPH limiting, I just did not ask him specifically that question. In my opinion, simply removing, or raising the limited MPH of the car is NOT a recalibration, so it is possible.

RapidResponder

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
Lol!

As you know, most Shelbys are designed as all-purpose, but primarily as road track competitive vehicles. I rode with the Shelby VP at Portland International Raceway two weeks ago and he had the car to its mechanical limits. It became all about the driver and he was surely the fastest car on the track which included Lambo’s, Ferrari’s, Porche’s, etc.

I have been invited to a full-on NASCAR Experience in Vegas later in the month and will check out this oval stuff and get back to you.

In the meantime, we will just continue steering in both directions.

RR

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Something must have gotten lost in the translation along the way. A 2" lower ride height would cause quite a few issues including related to the roll center, increased bump steer, steering response, camber gain curve, etc, as well as significantly reduced suspension travel - the car would live on the bump stops. In addition, the tires would likely be making contact with the wheel well liners quite often.

Is Shelby doing an SLA or is the "custom suspension" strut based?