Jmeo's 2020 Shelby American GT500 SE Wide Body Build (+ "Phase 2")

OP
OP
Jmeo

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
I'm there in a few days. I'll hit the switch for ya on the way out.
One of these days I will buy you a drink. Maybe here, maybe Florida, who knows, but it will happen.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
One of these days I will buy you a drink. Maybe here, maybe Florida, who knows, but it will happen.
I think the storm that is coming will prevent it from being this time. I welcome it whenever it happens.

OP
OP
Jmeo

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I posted this in the thread I made specifically for the new exhaust, but I wanted to put it here as well.

As you all could probably imagine, I could not take the suspense. Today being a clear day I figured what the hell and skipped college for a few hours. Total install time including the time to take the car off my 4 post lift and put it on the 2 post lift, weigh everything, install everything and test drive it, all by my lonesome, was 3.5 hours.

Stock cold start reference video:

Stock exhaust weighed in at 79.2 lbs (scale was zeroed with 2x4 in place)

IMG_0558.jpeg

IMG_0559.jpeg

New right side muffler with all hardware and exhaust module installed weighed in at 17.6 lbs

IMG_0567.jpeg

New left side muffler with all hardware and exhaust module installed weighed in at 17.4 lbs

IMG_0568.jpeg

Mid muffler with all hardware installed came in at 15.6 lbs

IMG_0569.jpeg

New right & left connection pipes combined weighed in at 17.6 lbs

IMG_0573.jpeg

Stock = (79.2) - combined weight of new exhaust (68.2) = 11 lbs lighter than the stock system

Here is the both system compared. It may not be noticeable in the photos but the piping is larger than stock, especially where the mufflers exit to the tail pipes (they also exit straight). The tips are larger than stock, and the openings are larger than stock.

IMG_0574.jpeg

IMG_0575.jpeg

IMG_0576.jpeg

IMG_0577.jpeg

IMG_0578.jpeg

IMG_0579.jpeg

IMG_0580.jpeg

IMG_0581.jpeg

IMG_0582.jpeg

IMG_0583.jpeg

And installed

IMG_0584.jpeg

IMG_0585.jpeg

IMG_0586.jpeg

IMG_0587.jpeg

Post installation cold start video:

I took it for a drive and all exhaust modes work as they should. Without a doubt deeper than stock, which is what I wanted. I do not think it's louder than stock, just much deeper. I think this may be the answer for track guys who are getting hit for exceeding their track DB levels.

Post test drive burble. Definitely deeper:

OP
OP
Jmeo

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Parts have been arriving for my trip to Carlisle, PA for the Ford Nationals. Anyone going?

IMG_0936.jpeg

IMG_0942.jpeg

IMG_0941.jpeg

IMG_0940.jpeg

Attachment.jpeg

image000000.jpeg

OP
OP
Jmeo

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Hello my friend and I'm wondering if the ideas will ever end. :cool:

Lookin' good, Jaime.
Hi Kent, thanks buddy.

Been super busy trying to get college behind me so I haven't had much time to do anything but think. The panel and snakes are painted Star White to match the stripes now, so no more vinyl overlays that start lifting after a little bit.

IMG_0950.jpeg

IMG_0949.jpeg

IMG_0948.jpeg

IMG_0947.jpeg

70593462105__5696DF1F-568D-4A03-B828-581A847F4D4F.jpeg

The under hood fuse box and brake reservoir cover are the matching pieces to the coolant tank that the president of Shelby American (Gary Patterson) signed.

The Anderson CF pieces replace the last unpainted textured plastic trim on the car. Personally I like the gloss black painted plastic so I would never swap that to CF, but these are the last of the CF exterior bits I was after. Well, I still need to get the rear wheel well guards (flaps - if you can call them that) but those aren't hart to find.

Never done buddy, never done.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jmeo

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Who did the painting, Jaime.? In any event, I think the white is FABULOUS and I wish I had that deck lid. :cool:
A local friend here in Taxachusetts referred me to the guy he uses in North Carolina. He has an auto body business and he enjoys taking on special projects.

That said, I am bummed that I am not sure I’m going to use the painted snakes. I imagined they were going to look spectacular on the car, but when I hold them up to the car I’m not so sure.

The best way to describe it is the OE snakes look like a quality metal emblem, even though they are all plastic. The painted snakes look like knock of plastic pieces, even though they are OE painted emblems.

When I get home later today I’ll hold them up against the fender to give you a visual. id seriously like some opinions on the matter.

I‘m really torn now.

As far as the rear panel, you can buy one right from the Shelby Store if you so chose.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Yep, shoot away with photos, amigo and we'll letcha know what we think. Not having seen them on the car, I agree with your initial thought, they should look great. But I feel you on the difference between the two.

As for the rear panel, I honestly didn't know (or perhaps remember,) that they were available from the store, I'll have to check that out. No doubt they want a kidney or two. :-)

Standing by for photos.

Saratoga87

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Shelby
Hi Kent, thanks buddy.

Been super busy trying to get college behind me so I haven't had much time to do anything but think. The panel and snakes are painted Star White to match the stripes now, so no more vinyl overlays that start lifting after a little bit.

IMG_0950.jpeg

IMG_0949.jpeg

IMG_0948.jpeg

IMG_0947.jpeg

70593462105__5696DF1F-568D-4A03-B828-581A847F4D4F.jpeg

The under hood fuse box and brake reservoir cover are the matching pieces to the coolant tank that the president of Shelby American (Gary Patterson) signed.

The Anderson CF pieces replace the last unpainted textured plastic trim on the car. Personally I like the gloss black painted plastic so I would never swap that to CF, but these are the last of the CF exterior bits I was after. Well, I still need to get the rear wheel well guards (flaps - if you can call them that) but those aren't hart to find.

Never done buddy, never done.
I went with the SA trim piece as well and I personally prefer the gloss black versus the CF.
However, the place that has done all my PPF, had problems with it adhering to that panel.

IMG_3124.jpeg

OP
OP
Jmeo

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I went with the SA trim piece as well and I personally prefer the gloss black versus the CF.
However, the place that has done all my PPF, had problems with it adhering to that panel.

IMG_3124.jpeg
That looks great! Are your letters painted or vinyl overlays?

I’ve had the rear deck panel on my last few mustangs protected with PPF without issue. If that’s what you’re referring to as far as not adhering? My new one is currently being done as I type.

I completely agree about the gloss black looking nicer than the carbon fiber rear panel. Without the trim around the tail lights being converted to carbon, the carbon fiber panel looks out of place in my opinion. Same goes for the front bumper Insert on the GT500,. Because of the gloss black trim on either side of the headlights, it ties in nicely being all black and not looking out of place, if carbon fiber.

Note: My opinion is exactly that, my opinion. Please follow your own opinion for your own results. Results may vary.

Last edited:

Saratoga87

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Shelby
That looks great Are your letters painted or vinyl overlays?

I’ve had the rear deck panel on my last few mustangs protected with PPF without issue. If that’s what you’re referring to as far as not adhering? My new one is currently being done as I type.

I completely agree about the gloss black looking nicer than the carbon fiber rear panel. Without the trim around the tail lights being converted to carbon, the carbon fiber panel looks out of place in my opinion. Same goes for the front bumper Insert on the GT500,. Because of the gloss black trim on either side of the headlights, it ties in nicely being all black and not looking out of place, if carbon fiber.

Note: My opinion is exactly that, my opinion. Please follow your own opinion for your own results. Results may vary.
We share similar tastes when it comes to the CF pieces available for the gt500.
My car is a non-CFTP but I fell in love with the look of the CF wing.
I didn't want to cannibalize my OEM lid so I purchased a (near perfect) lid from a salvage yard, drilled for the wing and dropped it off for paint.
Several guys I know went with the CF trim panel, and thats cool but I personally wasn't super crazy about the look.
I followed ur build from the beginning and I was thoroughly impressed with it and the changes you made along the way and remember seeing your SA trim panel.
I was surprised to see that the SHELBY panel was available on the SA website bc I thought that may have been a in house piece only.
I have the Bemaro Kona inlays on mine and they went on easy and seem to be holding up fine. Time will tell.
In regards to the PPF, I had the same shop that wrapped my entire car, do the lid, wing and panel and had no issues with exception to the panel. He stated that it may be outgassing and for me to bring it back in 2-3 weeks to try again. ( I had my OEM panel wrapped by them with the Xpel Ultimate with no issues)

I believe that panel is manufactured by Drake Muscle Cars of Henderson NV for SA.

OP
OP
Jmeo

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
We share similar tastes when it comes to the CF pieces available for the gt500.
My car is a non-CFTP but I fell in love with the look of the CF wing.
I didn't want to cannibalize my OEM lid so I purchased a (near perfect) lid from a salvage yard, drilled for the wing and dropped it off for paint.
Several guys I know went with the CF trim panel, and thats cool but I personally wasn't super crazy about the look.
I followed ur build from the beginning and I was thoroughly impressed with it and the changes you made along the way and remember seeing your SA trim panel.
I was surprised to see that the SHELBY panel was available on the SA website bc I thought that may have been a in house piece only.
I have the Bemaro Kona inlays on mine and they went on easy and seem to be holding up fine. Time will tell.
In regards to the PPF, I had the same shop that wrapped my entire car, do the lid, wing and panel and had no issues with exception to the panel. He stated that it may be outgassing and for me to bring it back in 2-3 weeks to try again. ( I had my OEM panel wrapped by them with the Xpel Ultimate with no issues)

I believe that panel is manufactured by Drake Muscle Cars of Henderson NV for SA.
The panel is the same one SA installs on most all of their 2015+ cars including the Super Snake. I was also surprised to see the panel available separately a few years ago when I first saw it. It is my speculation that whoever makes the panel also makes the stock Ford panels, as well as the Roush panel, but I have been wrong before.

My Bemaro overlays lasted a year before towels started to catch the corners and lift them, but overall still looked good. It was my OCD that wanted to have them painted.

I still find it odd that they has issues filming it, but again, I am sometimes wrong haha. The panel that came on my car from Shelby was filmed as soon as I got the car home without issue. The one I just had painted is a new panel because I didn't want to risk ruining the one that came on the car. It was dropped off to get filmed this week and I suspect my guys will get it done without issue, but I will let you know once I hear back from them.

Anywho, nice job sourcing a panel and getting it done :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Jmeo

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yep, shoot away with photos, amigo and we'll letcha know what we think. Not having seen them on the car, I agree with your initial thought, they should look great. But I feel you on the difference between the two.

As for the rear panel, I honestly didn't know (or perhaps remember,) that they were available from the store, I'll have to check that out. No doubt they want a kidney or two. :-)

Standing by for photos.
Just got home and this was the best I could do without help. Not sure if you will need to see the whole side of the car to get the drift of what I was saying but here we go.

IMG_0961.jpeg

IMG_0962.jpeg

IMG_0963.jpeg