Sponsored

JLT catch can designed to dump oil into intake?

RedGT45

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
The inlet side of the catch can has the honeycomb mesh that oil condenses on and then it pools in the bottom of the catch can. The outlet has no screen or filter. So what happens when oil is pooled in the catch can and you hit a bump? The catch can is under vacuum so I would imagine your intake takes a big sip of oil. The can needs a screen or something on the outlet.

What am I missing?
Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
What am I missing?
Like me, we're missing a much better catch can. I swear to God a 40 buck ebay one is much better than the JLT. I'll put that theory to the test soon.

Zathras

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
When I used a JLT catch can on my S197, I never accumulated more than maybe an ounce of oil in the bottom of the thing, and I don't think a normal road bump would really create much of a splash inside it. But it's an interesting thought.

3rdRGR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush RS2, 2011 Nissan Murano SV
I'd say if you are checking your can at least once between OCIs you won't be accumulating enough to worry about. Unless you roll it and then a little oil in your intake probably won't be the problem.

Sponsored

RasJeremy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ras
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 5.0 2020
I have the JLT on both sides and I've never given that a thought. I can imagine if you drive thousands of miles between checking it, it could cause an issue.

I empty mine every 1000km (620 miles) and there is only around 5ml in it.

If that should be shaken and get sucked up, I think that the thing that caused the shake would have made far worse damage than a small amount of oil in the intake :crazy:

And for the curious ones - I only get oil in the passenger side - the drivers side is bone dry and has always been :thumbsup:

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Ford Performance (for example) the outlet on the other side of the screen which acts as a splash baffle. I only empty it when I do an oil change. Still think its a better design than most of the aftermarket ones.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
That's one reason why UPR offers check valves on theirs.
The PCV already has a built in check valve. Idle its almost closed. Cruising is halfway open. WOT its open. There's also backfire protection.

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
Catching any is better than catching none. Dump the can once every 6 months.. it doesnt fill that fast and even if its full it wouldnt drink more than stock amount. I dump mine every 1k miles but there is hardly any in there and I check my oil level every 500 miles.

3rdRGR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush RS2, 2011 Nissan Murano SV
And for the curious ones - I only get oil in the passenger side - the drivers side is bone dry and has always been :thumbsup:
Thank you for spending the money and letting folks like me know we don't really have to!

Sponsored

ihasnostang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Saturn ion, 2019 201A, EB PP1, Ruby Red
one could always design a baffle that seperates the inlet and outlet sides and sits a certain distance off the bottom of the can

Andrew@Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2003 10th Anniversary Cobra / 2003 Ford Lightning
The inlet side of the catch can has the honeycomb mesh that oil condenses on and then it pools in the bottom of the catch can. The outlet has no screen or filter. So what happens when oil is pooled in the catch can and you hit a bump? The catch can is under vacuum so I would imagine your intake takes a big sip of oil. The can needs a screen or something on the outlet.

What am I missing?
The JLT catch can is great. You just need to stay on top of emptying it. However the UPR cans have a check valve built into the lines which prevent any unwanted oil being sucked into your intake. We sell both here at www.lethalperformance.com!

OP
OP

RedGT45

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
one could always design a baffle that seperates the inlet and outlet sides and sits a certain distance off the bottom of the can
I ended up replacing my $150 JLT with a $25 catch can that has that baffle built in.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
the UPR cans have a check valve built into the lines which prevent any unwanted oil being sucked into your intake
Well how would that work ? The PCV already has a check valve in it.

Andrew@Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2003 10th Anniversary Cobra / 2003 Ford Lightning