JL AUDIO CUSTOM BOX, ANYONE TRY?

ronv95

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
I heard it and it didn't sound great at all to me...definitely not worth $800. It's only plus is it's space saving enclosure but there is plenty of cheaper stuff that sound way better.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Not my favorite subwoofer on earth, but for most people it'll sound great. If you're looking for earth shattering bass or the utmost of sound quality response, this isn't the subwoofer for you. I think I'm going to use a Hybrid Audio Clarus 10", Audison Voce 10", or possibly a Hertz Mille 10" - from my personal collection of stuff I shouldn't have bought but did... haha.

OP
OP

mulage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, Black, w/ Performance Pack
I heard it and it didn't sound great at all to me...definitely not worth $800. It's only plus is it's space saving enclosure but there is plenty of cheaper stuff that sound way better.
where did you hear one, you know someone that has this sub? how many watts where they pushing?

ronv95

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
where did you hear one, you know someone that has this sub? how many watts where they pushing?
Guy in memphis had one at the shop I stopped at awhile back. I couldn't tell you the exact watts but the amp wasnt that big so I'm guess he had a 250-400 watt bridged output to it.

Sponsored

Burger2002

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I've had this setup in my car for about 3 weeks now. Still trying to dial it in, but whatever tones I am still unhappy with may be a result of me tapping into the rear deck speakers for signal and not the sub/ amp.
I am pushing this sub with a Jl Audio xd300v2. On the right songs this thing pounds hard, but I just can't quite get it to perform in all types of music or all songs. I can't tell if it's the sub, the signal, the amp, or the location of the box. Maybe I'm just spoiled by other setups I've had with large boxes taking up the whole trunk.
For the size this thing takes up I don't think it can be beat. If you're looking for the best sound to price ratio, this is not it. Youre paying for form factor here.

BadDreams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
I think [MENTION=20499]mumbles[/MENTION] might have that enclosure.

mumbles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT Prem OW
OP
OP

mulage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, Black, w/ Performance Pack
yeah i priced out the wiring kit, jbl enclosure with sub, and jbl amp it was over $1300, that's hard to justify for a little bass

I am gonna try one of the JL Audio powered subs, how did you guys tap into the existing speaker wires? did you cut them twist together or use something else?

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Usually if a sub is only performing well on some songs, not others, it is your signal that is to blame, unless you have a power issue with your amplifier.

Sponsored

Markbnh1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Escape & 2015 Ruby Red GT Premium
I just had this installed on 4/14/16 with a 600 watt JL sub amp. I am very happy with how much sound this thing puts out. It even makes the 9 other speakers sound better to me! But like everyone says, you pay dearly to save on space and appearance. My amp is mounted under the driver seat.
image.jpg

cyberbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT On Order
I just had this installed on 4/14/16 with a 600 watt JL sub amp. I am very happy with how much sound this thing puts out. It even makes the 9 other speakers sound better to me! But like everyone says, you pay dearly to save on space and appearance. My amp is mounted under the driver seat.

It's a nice fit, I give it that!

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
Thread Necro!!! While searching for related info, I came across this thread. Thought I'd share a few thoughts.

I've had the JL Stealthbox for 3.5 years now, fed by a JL 600/1v2 (600w @ 2 ohms) and have been happy with it...not overjoyed, but happy. I get some real bass, which the stock 9-speaker Shaker system sorely needs, and it takes up zero usable trunk space.

I've found that with this box you have to ensure two things:

1. Feed it enough power
2. Have reasonable expectations

This sub doesn't thump like two 12's in a ported box, but neither does it take up the entire trunk like one. I've also very clearly noticed that with one or both of the back seats down, the bass energy coming into the cabin doubles (at least to my ear...not measured or anything.) But I don't like driving around with the back seats down.

I've embarked on a complete amp/door speaker rebuild (going full active/DSP but retaining the stock HU) and will finally get to test out and answer two things I've wondered about the Stealthbox.

1. How much of a difference will I hear with the sub amp receiving a proper input signal from a preamp/DSP vs. the LOC that feeds it now?
2. How much of a difference will I hear with the rear speakers removed and the bass energy being easily able to get into the cabin?

I've built several big systems in past vehicles, so I'm betting the answer to both questions is "Significant." At least I'm hoping it is. :)

I'll be starting a build thread soon, but wanted to post these thoughts in this thread, so it might be helpful to anyone searching "Stealthbox."

Also attaching a teaser pic of the amp rack in progress. :D

ThreadNecro.gif

IMG_20200912_215111374.jpg

Last edited:

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Thread Necro!!! While searching for related info, I came across this thread. Thought I'd share a few thoughts.

I've had the JL Stealthbox for 3.5 years now, fed by a JL 600/1v2 (600w @ 2 ohms) and have been happy with it...not overjoyed, but happy. I get some real bass, which the stock 9-speaker Shaker system sorely needs, and it takes up zero usable trunk space.

I've found that with this box you have to ensure two things:

1. Feed it enough power
2. Have reasonable expectations

This sub doesn't thump like two 12's in a ported box, but neither does it take up the entire trunk like one. I've also very clearly noticed that with one or both of the back seats down, the bass energy coming into the cabin doubles (at least to my ear...not measured or anything.) But I don't like driving around with the back seats down.

I've embarked on a complete amp/door speaker rebuild (going full active/DSP but retaining the stock HU) and will finally get to test out and answer two things I've wondered about the Stealthbox.

1. How much of a difference will I hear with the sub amp receiving a proper input signal from a preamp/DSP vs. the LOC that feeds it now?
2. How much of a difference will I hear with the rear speakers removed and the bass energy being easily able to get into the cabin?

I've built several big systems in past vehicles, so I'm betting the answer to both questions is "Significant." At least I'm hoping it is. :)

I'll be starting a build thread soon, but wanted to post these thoughts in this thread, so it might be helpful to anyone searching "Stealthbox."

Also attaching a teaser pic of the amp rack in progress. :D

ThreadNecro.gif

IMG_20200912_215111374.jpg
I guess you forgot about this thread you posted in for a solution to get more bass into the cabin: https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...-the-rear-seat-backs-down.128004/post-2663434

I like your amp board. What material is that?

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
Nope, I didn't forget about that thread...just thought I'd add my thoughts here too. When I'm searching for info, the more threads I can find, the better.

The amp board is 3/4" MDF with a 1/4" roundover on all the holes. 8 or 9 coats of Krylon Gloss White spray paint and two coats of Rustoleum Gloss Clear Coat. Once all the wiring is done, I'll be adding some uprights to either side of the center amp to hold up the trunk floor panel. It'll kinda ruin the aesthetic, but better than a case of bottled water or something crushing my amps/wiring.

There's a countersunk hole under the center amp where the board will bolt to the spare tire hold down. The rack has feet, BTW. It actually sits on the tire well floor, about a 1/4" above the spare tire hold down.

IMG_20200909_204030703.jpg
Sponsored