Sponsored

Jim Farley to Take Over as Ford CEO & President Effective October 1st, Jim Hackett to Retire

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
Good riddance to bad rubbish. Let's bring the Fiesta and Focus back to the US - ST versions please.
Sponsored

ngiotta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT / 1970 Mach 1 (Twin Turbo Coyote)
Rumor has it, Hackett retired because he was afraid of the robot dogs roaming the property.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Maybe Jim Farley can work to make a Boss 429 Mustang possible, Be great to see an aluminum block version of the 7.3 liter Godzilla V8 in the Mustang,
Not a chance. You'd see the ecoboost v6 in the Mustang before they build another v8 and put it in a Mustang variant.

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Not a chance. You'd see the ecoboost v6 in the Mustang before they build another v8 and put it in a Mustang variant.
Either that or there is some requirement for a truck or SUV to need a V8 and they would just use that in a Mustang.

Reactions: Ebm

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
THANK GOD Hackett is leaving.

Hopefully Farley will have the balls to remove the Mustang name from the Mach E... along with other things that could rekindle long-time ford enthusiasts (like offering cars again, not diluting every performance moniker they have, etc.)

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Hopefully Farley will have the balls to remove the Mustang name from the Mach E...
waaayy too late to do anything about those dice.
like offering cars again, not diluting every performance moniker they have, etc.)
Ford doesn't care. The only thing they sell that makes serious money is the F-series. All their cars barely rise to #metoo status with typical Detroit crap quality control build by overpriced union workers, that the Japanese and Koreans (using American non-Detroit workers no less) can spank with one hand behind their back and with eyes closed. Cars are a dead end for Ford. The fancy-pants Focus was cool and all but drowning in a sea of GTI and Civic R's with little to differentiate it except lousy quality control. Frankly I expect at least 2 of the CUVs to disappear quite soon, likely the Ecosport and whichever is the worse platform for EV between Edge and Escape. I bet the Expedition also takes a (figurative) dirt nap.

At some point management has to come with grips that if you're gonna do it, then you have to do it RIGHT, or don't even bother. Why compete with a sea of jelly-bean CUV competitors when you suck at it? The consumer has long since abandoned the notion of "I bleed Ford blue" if it was ever true in the first place.

Nexus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang

Hopefully Farley will have the balls to remove the Mustang name from the Mach E...
Who do you think is the one that made the suggestion....

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
by forging a daring template to go driverless and electric.
No, he just parroted the fad-speak of the day. Driverless is a delusion and Electric as half-assed as Ford's efforts isn't going anywhere without stiff subsidies.
a basic restructuring to squeeze far more dollars in profit from a shrunken, highly-efficient base of plants and design centers.
Talk about moronic. If it was true then by definition there isn't any more blood to be found in that stone. Bad design, worse manufacturing leading to failed product rollouts is not a sign of highly-efficient anything except kissing executive ass and lying about the truth. Which was also Mulally's observation that Ford #1 problem is Ford itself - it's intractable bureaucracy and the millstone of the American "worker".

Last edited:

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
No, he just parroted the fad-speak of the day. Driverless is a delusion and Electric as half-assed as Ford's efforts isn't going anywhere without stiff subsidies.

Talk about moronic. If it was true then there isn't any more blood to be found in that stone. Bad design, worse manufacturing leading to failed product rollouts is not a sign of highly-efficient anything except kissing executive ass and lying about the truth. Which was also Mulally's observation that Ford #1 problem is Ford itself - it's intractable bureaucracy and the millstone of the American "worker".
I agree that talking about electric and driverless at this time doesn't bode well. He should be selling what people want, not talking about stuff that no one wants right now. Does he think people will want to swap cars in the era of Covid? Duh. Yes Ford makes the most from F150s, but they should at least pay lip service to the rest of their customers. He definitely isn't winning me back with talk about electric and driverless.

With respect to subsidies, all they need are the "right" lawmakers to cram legislation down our throats in exchange for campaign contributions.

I agree Ford is hurting right now. I think the Bronco looks amazing, though. It could be part of a resurgence at Ford. Now, can they build them with quality and sell at a decent price? Maybe that will help Ford to understand that "heritage" products make sense.

Sponsored

Brian@BMVK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - Sold
Which was also Mulally's observation that Ford #1 problem is Ford itself - it's intractable bureaucracy and the millstone of the American "worker".
100% correct. Mulally was an inspiring leader who understood the customer, the market and most importantly, how to extract high performance from the team he had. He's one who's shoes have not been filled. As I've mentioned a couple of times on this forum, within 6 months of his departure, it was obvious that things had changed. Things felt different and worked differently.

Brian@BMVK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - Sold

Hopefully Farley will have the balls to remove the Mustang name from the Mach E... along with other things that could rekindle long-time ford enthusiasts (like offering cars again, not diluting every performance moniker they have, etc.)
LOL if you think Farley is going to change direction, especially on things of his own preference. They're going from a guy who knows literally nothing about making cars to a guy who thinks he knows how to make great cars.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
This is great news. A great many are breathing a sigh of relief.

Hackett isn't a bad guy. But he should never ever have been the CEO of a vehicle company. Especially one with the enthusiast heritage that Ford has.

Farley was a Toyota guy, but then a Ford guy and has been with Ford through the Alan Mulally years. He has seen examples of good leadership and how to guide compelling products. He's also at an age where he has enough energy to do good things, while not so young that his own personal goals and pride get in the way.

He has made one foolish move so far, hopefully it ends there.

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
I was not that impressed with Mulally. Wall Street liked him , but I think he is responsible for Fords current situation because he moved Ford to make mostly front wheel drive cars. Ford should have learned that front wheel drive cars did previously not work for General Motors. Mulally should have learned fron General Motors mistake. Now Ford has an opportunity to step back and come up with a car that can be desired by the majority and be profitable.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
I was not that impressed with Mulally. Wall Street liked him , but I think he is responsible for Fords current situation because he moved Ford to make mostly front wheel drive cars. Ford should have learned that front wheel drive cars did previously not work for General Motors. Mulally should have learned fron General Motors mistake. Now Ford has an opportunity to step back and come up with a car that can be desired by the majority and be profitable.
Kind of......he certainly canned GRWD (the Global Rear Wheel Drive)......but he had to slash costs left right and center to ensure Ford could avoid bankruptcy. He sold off the company silver (Aston Martin, Jaguar, Land Rover, Volvo (the Premier Automotive Group) which enabled money to be focused on Ford product alone.

I do wish they'd pressed ahead with GRWD though as Ford could have/should have had some cool RWD cars ready for when the economy recovered. Now we have CD6, another RWD (OK, with AWD option too) architecture which could have/should have underpinned some cool RWD cars (a proper RWD Lincoln Continental, anyone?)...........but all the cars have been scrapped and it's only being used for the Explorer/Aviator twins. Even Mustang won't get it until S750. Another lost opportunity if you ask me.

I think Hackett's vision of a mobility company was a bold one. People are changing the way they buy and use cars but I think the move to EV/Autonomous was/is too fast. Sure, invest in those technologies, but not at the cost of your bread and butter cars. I'd have liked to have seen a slower transition. For me, he put all of Ford's eggs in one large EV/Autonomous basket.

I don't expect Mr Farley to reverse the direction, but if he can slow it, and focus more on the cars/trucks of today, that would be a good thing. If he can add more passion to the products (clearly Bronco seems show product other than Mustang car have this) then that will also be a good thing.
Sponsored