Sponsored

Jim Farley to Take Over as Ford CEO & President Effective October 1st, Jim Hackett to Retire

Brian@BMVK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - Sold
I was not that impressed with Mulally. Wall Street liked him , but I think he is responsible for Fords current situation because he moved Ford to make mostly front wheel drive cars. Ford should have learned that front wheel drive cars did previously not work for General Motors. Mulally should have learned fron General Motors mistake. Now Ford has an opportunity to step back and come up with a car that can be desired by the majority and be profitable.
Ever meet the man?

CD6 was going to be a RWD base platform for many, many cars born under Mullally and canned under Hackett. The 2015+ F150 (aluminum body), the S550, the Ford GT, and a Fusion that was truly good and competitive for 2013MY were all born under his leadership. Ford surviving the financial recession in 2008-2009 and then being able to come out with good products within a couple of years of it was because of his leadership. What you speak is completely missing just how much he did to set a foundation of success that Fields and Hackett lit on fire.

Also, the desire to become a "Mobility company" is all Bill Ford Jr, not Hackett. He talked about that 3 years before Hackett came in.
Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Now Ford has an opportunity to step back and come up with a car that can be desired by the majority and be profitable.
that ship foundered a LONG time ago. There is nothing original to a Sedan that isn't eagerly pioneered by the Korean or Japanese brands in whose country the Sedan is king. The Mach-E might have a chance but it'll probably fail in the light of the rapidly on-rushing competition. Even Ford's CUV family is nothing special and being trounced by the Japs who were slow to do CUV because they didn't have a domestic market for such things till much later than the Americans.

Sponsored

fpvfan1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
van
Vehicle(s)
2002 mustang GT
As a car enthusiast, I read all of this with alot of apprehension and a feeling of dissatisfaction. I understand that Ford is a business and profitability is key to any business. This world is heading fast into electrification and the SUV craze and everything else has been happening and everything is moving so fast, but is anyone up there still hearing the consumers? I'm not just talking about the commuters, I'm also including us as the enthusiasts? We're not as dead or dying as some people think, the problem is there isn't alot out there for us to choose from and nothing that is anywhere really near affordable and practical. Ford has such a great car with the current mustang S550 but the car is limited in size and practicality. I understand that the next gen mustang is supposed to tackle the AWD issue but the Mustang is now taking on a Dual role as the iconic pony car and an electric car designed to take Ford into the future and to fight with Tesla. While that might be great, it has left a very sour taste in the mouth of a lot of Mustang (and Ford Performance) enthusiasts. Ford has gotten rid of all of it's car except the mustang and they're trying to put the mustang into a role that it was never meant to be in and make a family of Mustangs which may hurt the image even more. Just a thought an suggestion here for the performance side of ford that maybe it's time to look at a different model for the Ford Performance enthusiasts out here so that the Mustang can move over into the electric realm and something "Fresh" enter the Ford Performance scene that really isn't that fresh or far fetched as it may seem. There was another and even more Amazing performance machine in the Ford lineup back in the 60's and early '70's that was just as hot as the Mustang and actually maybe even a little hotter, the Ford Torino. Based off the midsize Fairlane, which already had made a name for itself with the Thunderbolt 427 SOHC race car, The Torino was a perfect performance machine for the street due to its beautiful styling and midsize room and comfort and handling. The great thing about the Torino was that it was offered in a Coupe, Sedan, a Wagon, a convertible and even in a truck form (known as the Ford Ranchereo). Fast forward to today where retro cars are still a big thing, a midsize performance vehicle with such versatility on the more than capable CD6 platform would be a huge hit. The car was also a vehicle that was a hot performer under the Ford name without the influence of Carroll Shelby. Obviously a car like this would have it's performance models like the Torino of old, but the great thing about the Torino was that there were so many trim levels of this vehicle that it can be so many different things no matter the configuration. You would have the base Torino 500, the Torino Brougham (mid-grade premium Ford package) the Torino Falcon (Entry level performer), Torino GT and Torino Cobra. While it may seem natural to want these cars with a big V8 under the hood, the truth is we know the V8 engine is not long for this world. Fifteen years ago that would have been an issue but it isn't these days. While here in America we have the Ecoboost family of engines, which include the 450hp and 660hp 3.5L twin turbo (not to mention the 494hp/630tq 3.0L Hybrid ecoboost engine) Ford Australia has some of the best non V8 Ford engines ever, they're called the Barra engine family of Turbocharged Inline-6 engines which include the 436hp/425tq Barra 325T. Taking the knowledge learned from both the evolution of the Barra engine and the evolution of the Ecoboost engine (including what has been learned from the GT Supercar I'm sure a 4.0L I-6 twin turbocharged Ecoboost would outdo the mid-level 450hp 3.5L Ecoboost and make numbers closer to the 485hp with torque still pushing near the 500lb-ft mark. Couple that with a well tuned exhaust, a performance oriented 10-speed auto or 7-speed DCT and even a performance oriented 10-speed hybrid transmission with a rear wheel biased AWD setup and you have a modern performance machine for the years to come. Of course, lesser engines such as the 400hp 3.0L and the 335hp version of the 2.7L should be available with hybrid options available as well but the point is you have a vehicle on the CD6 chassis that offers so many different configurations and trim levels that you have something that can appeal to everyone and would be relevant and profitable. It also offers a car-based pickup like what Ford is planning with the Maverick but offers a car based pickup that would actually be a bit more usable as it would be on a better chassis and could still use the Maverick name. With this, the Mustang can move on to the electric side of things pioneer the future of electric performance with whatever models ford chooses. The CD6 chassis would still have another vehicle on it as well, the Ford Explorer, which would round out the CD6 family in a great way. The only other small vehicles out there would be the Bronco sport, which is a great looking vehicle that should replace the escape completely.
Above that would be the Ranger/Bronco family. The Bronco is absolutely Amazing. Ford knocked it out of the park with this vehicle. The Warthog version will be epic with the 3.0L and I can't wait to see it. It's the Ranger that needs a bit of updating both inside and outside. It needs a larger cab and it needs to share alot more of the design and look of the F150. It does not need a Raptor and the Tremor is an Awesome package that just needs the 3.0L Ecoboost and it's all set. Of course above that is the F150 and Expedition, The Expedition is the sexiest SUV on the Road (from the front) and it needs a true performance package and a luxury (Vignale) package that adds the best of the Lincoln black label package to the Expedition and makes it awesome. The Expedition also needs a 450hp street performance version with 22x12" wheels, huge Brembo brakes, AWD, magnetic ride performance shocks, tuned chassis and suspension, a tuned exhaust, performance interior, upgraded Aero and everything else. The thing needs to rip! It's also time to bring back the Lightning F150 pickup as well with the 660hp 3.5L Supercar twin turbo V6 or even a performance tuned version of the 494hp/630tq 3.0L Ecoboost Hybrid along with a raptor off road performance truck. As far as the super duty trucks and commercial vehicles, make them all electric and rename them all Altas which would include and Atlas-150, Atlas-250, Atlas-350, Atlas-450, Atlas-550 and Atlas-650. All of the performance is still there without the large V8 engine or diesel engines which makes the bean counters and the EPA regulation board happy.
It's also time that Ford Performance get itself on the ball and start focusing on the other engines besides the V8s. Its time to truly start focusing on the ecoboost (and hopefully Ecoboost-Barra) platform engines of the present and future. It's time to start utilizing companies that know how to upgraded turbocharged engines properly and have decent exhausts and supporting modifications for them that can be sold under the Ford Performance umbrella. It's also time for Roush and Mountune to fully fold under the Ford Performance umbrella as well. If Ford is to survive, this is the direction it needs to take. Yes electric has its place, as it should and models such as the Mach E, a new Ford C-Max and the entire Atlas pickup line and Ford Transit commercial line. Also the entire Lincoln line (which needs a complete redo) should be electric. Bring over the Ford Vingale trim level for the people who want gasoline luxury to slot above the Limited line on certain Ford vehicles, which gives the customer the Lincoln "Black Label" equipment on a Ford vehicle so the customer can still have the gas or hybrid vehicle with luxury.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Also, the desire to become a "Mobility company" is all Bill Ford Jr, not Hackett. He talked about that 3 years before Hackett came in.
I suspect most people wouldn't have known that. I sure didn't.

But it does explain that it probably didn't take much coaxing by either or both of the Jims to convince Jr. of the "value" of hanging the Mustang label on that not-a-Mustang thing . . .

Norm

Last edited:

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
As a car enthusiast, I read all of this with alot of apprehension and a feeling of dissatisfaction.
Wow Van, that was a heck of a first post. First welcome to the forum. There was a lot to digest here. It has hard to read without spacing and paragraphs but I got through it.

Some really interesting ideas but the reality is that we enthusiasts are only a tiny sliver of the market. Cars, at least for now, are dead. Ford is listening. Consumers want CUV/SUV's. That's where the money is. They, of course, want pickup trucks which is Ford's bread and butter.

I honestly believe that the only reason there is still a Mustang, our Mustang, is the use of the name now as a brand. Starting with the Mach-E, and with more to come it is still important to produce the iconic Pony car. Cars like the Mach 1 are not a huge expense for Ford overall. I do not think the S650 will be either. If the Mustang brand is successful than maybe we will see a S750. By then it will be a different car. Will it have a V8?, a M6? Rear wheel drive? Who knows.

Bottom line, is that we got what we got. It's still a great car and I , for one, am grateful for it.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
How would you feel about getting into an autonomous vehicle produced by a company that has had garbage QC for over a decade?
Hard no on all of this "take the driver out of driving" trend.

And it's not just Ford with QC problems. A day or two ago, Chevy issued a stop-sale order regarding the C8 Corvette over . . . wait for it . . . a brake-by-wire issue. Think about it.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-ca...stop-sale-order-recall-brake-issue/?source=nl

Norm

Sponsored
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang gt, 1989 fox body lx 5.0, 1997 camaro
Is the c8 really brake by wire? I haven’t actually seen a c8 brake system to know how it operates, but I do know that electric brake booster does not necessarily mean brake by wire. The electric booster systems I have seen in 2020 escapes still have a master cylinder with a pushrod that physically connects to a pedal. When power is lost to the system you can still slow down the car with the brake pedal, kinda like losing vacuum assist on a traditional system. Actual brake by wire would be like electronic throttle, which has no mechanical connection.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Is the c8 really brake by wire? I haven’t actually seen a c8 brake system to know how it operates, but I do know that electric brake booster does not necessarily mean brake by wire. The electric booster systems I have seen in 2020 escapes still have a master cylinder with a pushrod that physically connects to a pedal. When power is lost to the system you can still slow down the car with the brake pedal, kinda like losing vacuum assist on a traditional system. Actual brake by wire would be like electronic throttle, which has no mechanical connection.
This was one of the comments to the article. Seems correct based on what I have read.

Technically, the Corvette braking system should be called "boost by wire." The car has a traditional hydraulic braking system, but rather than a vacuum power booster it uses a computer-controlled electro-hydraulic booster. The system monitors brake pedal pressure and (based on the braking mode selected) controls both brake application pressure to the wheels and "feedback" pressure to the brake pedal. The potential failure at the heart of this recall would only cause loss of power assist, not loss of braking power. However, if you have ever tried stopping a car with a bad vacuum booster you know that the pedal pressures required can be extremely high since the hydraulic system components are optimized to operate with power assist.

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Very true
Hard no on all of this "take the driver out of driving" trend.

And it's not just Ford with QC problems. A day or two ago, Chevy issued a stop-sale order regarding the C8 Corvette over . . . wait for it . . . a brake-by-wire issue. Think about it.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-ca...stop-sale-order-recall-brake-issue/?source=nl

Norm
Recalls

2020-21 Genesis G70, Kia Stinger: Recall Alert

By Patrick Masterson on September 24, 2020
Vehicles Affected: Approximately 320 model-year 2021 Genesis G70 sedans equipped with 2.0-liter four-cylinder engines and 630 model-year 2020-21 Kia Stinger hatchbacks The Problem: The fuel pump... Read More

2019-2021 Hyundai Tucson, Kia Stinger: Recall Alert

By Patrick Masterson on September 11, 2020

Vehicles Affected: Approximately 180,000 model-year 2019-21 Hyundai Tucson SUVs, as well as some 9,400 model-year 2019 Kia Stinger hatchbacks equipped with 3.3-liter T-GDI engines The Problem: An e... Read More

2019-2020 Ram 3500: Recall Alert
By Patrick Masterson on September 10, 2020

Vehicles Affected: Approximately 32,300 model-year 2019-20 Ram trucks, including 3500 chassis cabs, equipped with 6.7-liter high-output Cummins engines The Problem: Inadequate warmup protection can... Read More

2020 Chevrolet Corvette: Recall Alert
September 1, 2020

Vehicles Affected: Approximately 7,100 model-year 2020 Chevrolet Corvette sports cars The Problem: Despite visual and audible warnings, the car can be driven with the front trunk lid unlatched, whi... Read More
Sponsored