Jerky Starts, Strange Clutch Engagement

Discussion in 'Transmission & Drivetrain' started by J_Herb, Nov 19, 2019.

1. J_Herb

J_Herb Member

First Name:
    Jason
    Vehicle(s):
    Mustang GT
    0   0   0
    While driving into work this morning I was having difficulty with the clutch engaging, like it was slipping. Car would jerk and appear to want to die as I would release the clutch. This started happening while I was stuck in traffic, didn’t have the issue leaving my neighborhood and after I was out of traffic the issues started to go away. I noticed it last night as well while backing into my driveway as well, but the drive home was fine.

This only happens as I initially release the clutch to start in first or reverse, car will jerk like it doesn’t have enough RPM to get moving, I found myself riding the clutch to get going and having to rev the engine a bit. Once moving everything works as normal.

Anyone else experience this before? I have a 17 GT PP1 with just over 10k miles on it. I’ve had the car for about 6 months and only put 2k miles on it and this is the first time I’ve ever experience this. Been driving manual trans cars for over 20 years.

2. OP
    OP
    J_Herb

J_Herb Member

First Name:
    Jason
    Vehicle(s):
    Mustang GT
    0   0   0
    I took a drive during lunch yesterday and was able to replicate without traffic around. After a couple of starts and stops I determined it was the cold PZeros spinning/skipping on the damp pavement. Temps were a bit warmer this morning with dry roads and I didn't have any issues. Looks like I'll need to get some different tires for the winter.

3. kent0464

kent0464 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Kent
    Vehicle(s):
    1983 Ford Ranger, 1986 SVO Mustang, 2017 Mustang GT PP, 2017 F150 3.5 Eco
    Garage Profiles:
    0   0   0
    I also have a 17 GT pp, and yes the Pzeros really really suck, and are even worse in cold weather....I’ve had all 4 slide while taking a fly over ramp and I wasn’t even pushing it.

4. jgruben1134

jgruben1134 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 GT Premium PP2 Velocity Blue "Moby"
    0   0   0
    I have 2 choices of car to drive at the moment. The '19 PP2 or a 2001 SLK230 with 210k miles on it. By that, I mean I have 1 choice, and 1 other car I have to drive when it gets too cold outside, so I've had to become my own personal meteorologist. If its under 45-50 degrees, I'm in the Merc. Under 40? The PP2 gets its spot in the garage to protect the tires. I've not tried the P Zeroes, but the Cup 2's suck when its cold. If you baby them around a bit and get enough heat in them to bring the pressures up 3-4psi, they start to work ok.