Sponsored

Jerking from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd.

Rizzy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Hello all. I have skowered the topics here and was unable to find anything that helped with my issue (and if there is, I apologize for starting a new thread).

I got my new GT Track MT about a month and a half ago, no issues up until now. I am at 850 miles, have not changed my driving at all and am experiencing massive jerks when I upshift from first all the way through third (fourth gear does not give me any problems).

I let the car warm up (about 500 to 1000 rpm) in the morning. and still have this issue. It does go away after about 20 to 30 minutes of driving.

I should mention this is my first MT car and am worried that some how I have managed to mess something up.

Like I said, it used to not do this for the first 700 miles, even when cold.

Is it possible I am degressing and slowly becoming stupid??:headbonk:
Sponsored

ETCH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Performance

sandpiper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium
I have been driving manuals for over forty years, and the shift from first to second is almost impossible to do smoothly. I really have to baby it slowwwwwwly to get it to not jerk.

ib2loud

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost

bonomo53

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Having the same issue going from first to second but I noticed it really only happens after a cold start. This is also my first MT so i know how you feel when you have all your shifts down and then this happens.

Sponsored

Nazgul

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 15 GT PP
When it's cold the clutch feels very grabby. Take out the clutch spring and let the clutch out slowly, you will eventually get smoother. This clutch isn't heavy, but it's much heavier than a econo car. Therefore you can't just toss it into gear and quickly let the clutch out.

OP
OP

Rizzy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Guys I figured it out. Aparently I was getting too cocky thinking I was a sudden pro at driving MT at 800 miles that I would just release the clutch pedal right after shifting to 2nd and 3rd. I found out that you need to hold it in about half a second to a second after shifting before applying gas (the RPMs match to the next gear like this) and letting go. Every shift is now smooth as butter.

Thank you all for the replies, I am definitely going to try removing the spring too.

Nazgul you hit it right on the money.:cheers:

Haha Bonomo53 now I am worried that I messed something up letting go of the clutch too fast.

ForTehNguyen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
remove clutch spring, can shift smooth all day. Change out transmission fluid too

Horse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
300 hp with 3 pedals
I don't have a mustang.

This is what I do with my current (manual) car when upshifting: I lift the throttle, wait a fraction of second (my muscle memory knows how long it is), then step on the clutch and finish the upshift (which I do as quickly as possible). This also works for 2-3 and 3-4, etc. upshifts as well. Many modern cars have rev hangs dialed in by the factory (for emission considerations, etc.). The wait after lifting the throttle is my way to deal with the rev hang.

seamonkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Manual 2015 Mustang GT Premium
I'm new to manual and what I found out to reduce thud/jerk from 1st to 2nd is to: clutch in slowly just right before engagement point and then dump the clutch all the way to the floor while shifting to second. Then I take my foot off the clutch slowly and accelerate once my foot is completely off the clutch. I chirped my tires all the way to 4th in my first WOT run.

By the way, why does the shifter moves smooth as butter when the car is stationary?

Sponsored

IvanCRF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.On'ry
By the way, why does the shifter moves smooth as butter when the car is stationary?
Look into a transmission mounted shifter since the transmission moves around when driving and thus alters the geometry of the stock shifts.

MtnBiker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Maybe start with a Steeda trans bushing. Firmed up the shifts nicely.
I don't understand how a bushing that connects the rear of the transmission more firmly to the chassis will improve shifting performance...the nibbles, missed shifts, lockouts, etc. The transmission is moving around under power and thus changing the geometry of the shift rod.

I have no doubt that getting rid of the "play" in the shifter improves the feel. But a direct attachment to the transmission seems like a much better idea if actual improvements in shifting are desired. The Blowfish Racing bracket and MGW race spec both feature this direct attachment and I'd argue improve both feel and performance. Barton is moving this way as well.
Sponsored