Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
19 Edge ST, 17 Escape, 12 Boss, 15 GT, 66 V8 Coupe Auto, Kids Boss 302
This might be too early but 2 questions:
I want to put the car up on jack stands for the winter
I need to know where to jack the car up and where to put the jack stands under the car.
Need to make sure that where I put the jack stands it will be strong enough to support the car without damage.
Thanks
Sponsored

Rv-Junke

Rv-Junke
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2021 Black GT - PP
Not sure if you have looked or considered, but Race Ramps make a bunch of products for work and storage...more costly than jack stands (WHICH BTW I AM CURIOUS WHERE THE SPOTS ARE TOO). IMHO I would lean towards Race Ramp long term storage...

dcrypter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang GT

WestRace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
E46 M3
Take a look at this vid at 2.09 where you could see where the car is jacked. There are a few similar vids that I saw but can't seem to remember.
[ame]

This one may give a better idea
[ame]

Tim Hilliard

Happy Owner
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Guard 300A PP Recaro
Stupid question but wouldn't you just put a stand under the control arm on each corner. Keeps the tires happy and keeps the suspension compressed near ride hide :shrug:

Sponsored

WestRace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
E46 M3
Stupid question but wouldn't you just put a stand under the control arm on each corner. Keeps the tires happy and keeps the suspension compressed near ride hide :shrug:
I thought those are the side beams where he put the four rubber pads. The side beams running on both sides where I think the structures are strongest.
The "control arm" you referred to I think actually is the braces for the front subframe.

Tim Hilliard

Happy Owner
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Guard 300A PP Recaro
I thought those are the side beams where he put the four rubber pads. The side beams running on both sides where I think the structures are strongest.
The "control arm" you referred to I think actually is the braces for the front subframe.
Wasn't referring to anything you said. Most people don't own lifts. The OP was asking where to place jack stands. I prefer loading the suspension as the car would normally sit, so under the control arms, that way the suspension does not settle in a fully extended position over the winter.

OP
OP
SINBUSTER007

SINBUSTER007

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
19 Edge ST, 17 Escape, 12 Boss, 15 GT, 66 V8 Coupe Auto, Kids Boss 302
i remove the wheels and do some cleaning on the underside of the car...with my winter schedule and work i sometimes dont get to the car all at once.... it stays up for a couple months then i put it back down after all the cleaning....
if i keep it up then i dont have to worry about putting it up every time i go down...its already up and i can do what i want....
ill check out the vids and see if they help

SVTFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Wimbledon white LE #275 A6
I haven't looked at the rear end yet but on the front, anywhere on the k member where it crosses under the motor, in the center, is a good place to jack it up. That puts load directly on the subframe. As far as jack stands point, either where the k member connects to the subframe.

The suspension won't "settle" fully extended. 1) it'll stop when the anti sway bar won't let it extend any farther and 2) after 15 feet and 2 bumps it'll settle back to where it was to begin with.

I'm sure the rear end has a similar subframe that you could do the same too.

I have used the control arms under the ball joints on older cars, but I don't think that area is designed to support the weight. It never hurt but I don't know if I would chance that on a new car.
Sponsored