Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
By “stale” you mean better than right? If you could afford a gt350 would you still bash it? It really comes down to a money thing for you, it has to and that’s ok. If the Mach 1 and gt350 cost the same, you’d pick the 350.
It’s ok to say the 350 is the better car, but when money is involved you’d take the less expensive one.
By “stale” I mean barely even better (like, literally a couple tenths on a road course) and with a worse engine than a model that’s $20k cheaper. The GT350 was largely untouched for 5 years, and everything around it grew. That’s why it happens to be getting discontinued at the same time that the Mach 1 (what the PP2 should have been) is coming onto the scene... because it’s a car that will offer nearly identical performance and a better engine for $10k less.

It’s not about money, as I’ve already said on the post. Newsflash; a $65k car isn’t that expensive. Hell, you could buy a used one for significantly less than I’m buying my Mach 1 for, and less than half as much as I’ve spent on cars in the last year. It has nothing to do with not affording it, it has everything to do with not WANTING it. Why? Because that special snake badge doesn’t hold much weight to me

And to answer your question, if the Mach 1 cost the same as a GT350, I’d get the Mach 1. But if the price really was the same, I would hope that the Mach 1 would be getting the GT350’s brakes and a bump in RPMs, because that’s the main advantage it holds
Sponsored

Last edited:

IconicGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Shelby GT350
Never said it was a high priority, but it is a technological advantage over the GT350

and the 2018+ front end and DI are absolutely progress. The Mach 1 looks excellent, not because they “made it look like a GT350”, but because they made it look how a refreshed GT350/500 should have looked (rather than carrying over the same dated headlights)

So the engine (which is a downgrade IMO and really doesn’t show much technological advantage if that’s the standard we’re going by), the steering rack which is the same unit in every other Mustang, albeit with EPAS tuning (which the Mach 1 also gets), Carbon fiber wing (or swing) is carried over to the Mach 1 from the GT350/500, though it’s painted magneticand magride which the standard GT has gotten since 2018 and the Mach 1 will also get should really be excluded from that list

But the knuckles and brakes are 2 clear advantages of the GT350 that the Mach 1 DEFINITELY should have received. The carbon fiber wheels are awesome and definitely a technogical advantage, but are also only available on the $70k+ before ADM GT350R (and also have replacement costs that would make you never want to drive on them).

It doesn’t come standard with Recaros, but they certainly are an option (which I will definitely be picking). Like I said, I have nothing against the GT350, it’s a great car... it just lasted about 2 years longer than it should have without any significant updates.

And thanks for having a good conversation instead of getting offended like most of these Shelby folk tend to :p
To each his own the 18+ headlights look horrendous. They make the car look like a droopy catfish. By the way the "swing" is not carbon fiber, so no the Mach 1 does not have any carbon fiber bit.

Last edited:

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
I am disappointed the GT350 will not be produced during 2021. I was waiting for Ford to offer a 4.09 or 4.30 rear gear option for the GT350. The GT350 would not be feeling like it does not have enough torque and would be in a better part of the power curve more of the time with 4.30 rear gears. Since Ford chose to not offer optional rear gears , I chose to not buy a GT350 even though I like the GT350 a lot.

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)
We all knew this was coming since arund April I think. So no surprise here.

Is it just me, or does "This makes the way for new additions to excite our passionate Mustang fans for 2021 model year – including the limited-edition Mach 1" sound like we still could see other still unannounced things for MY2021?

Last edited:

Sponsored

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
I don't believe we'll see a whole lot in 2021, what with the S650 18 mos out. Me, I just want the dealer network to get it's head out of it's ass with the GT500 pricing.

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)
I don't believe we'll see a whole lot in 2021, what with the S650 18 mos out. Me, I just want the dealer network to get it's head out of it's ass with the GT500 pricing.
Yeah, that's true. If upcoming model years are back to releasing in June it's really not long until Gen 7. Doing big changes for about 16 months of production seems not profitable.

Gogoggansgo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
We all knew this was coming Ford hasn’t given the gt350 any serious updates since it’s came out and also the idea the mach 1 is going to replace is really really lame. It’s not even in the same level from an engine perspective, so why on earth would they even try to pull that out unless the mach 1 will be around 50k base. Basically it sounds lazy to me

also the gt500 cannibalize sales, gt350 sales have taken an absolute noise dive since the 500 came out and honestly it doesn’t take a surgeon to figure out why

Gogoggansgo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
Don’t get me wrong, the GT350 was incredible when it came out. But now, most of the technology that made it great and special has trickled down to lesser models, and since it hasn’t been improved upon, it’s become stale. Great car for its time, but definitely past time for it to go
this is exactly on point

Gogoggansgo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
So the car is outdated and stale, but now you're interested in buying a new car in 2021 with maybe half the technology of the 350?
thats not entirely fair the gt350 is outdated from the standpoint of what they’ve done to it VS what Ford has done to the mustang GT over the same period of time. A lot of guys on here don’t seem to understand once the 18 mustang GT came out the-writing was on the wall for the gt350. It didn’t get any of the mid cycle updates, and then the gt500 came out and sale took a crap. So honestly the poor car was just riding on it’s reputation more than anything else. Honestly it breaks my heart Ford didn’t go all out and make a real gt350 gen 2

Sponsored

Gogoggansgo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
Never said it was a high priority, but it is a technological advantage over the GT350

and the 2018+ front end and DI are absolutely progress. The Mach 1 looks excellent, not because they “made it look like a GT350”, but because they made it look how a refreshed GT350/500 should have looked (rather than carrying over the same dated headlights)

So the engine (which is a downgrade IMO and really doesn’t show much technological advantage if that’s the standard we’re going by), the steering rack which is the same unit in every other Mustang, albeit with EPAS tuning (which the Mach 1 also gets), Carbon fiber wing (or swing) is carried over to the Mach 1 from the GT350/500, though it’s painted magneticand magride which the standard GT has gotten since 2018 and the Mach 1 will also get should really be excluded from that list

But the knuckles and brakes are 2 clear advantages of the GT350 that the Mach 1 DEFINITELY should have received. The carbon fiber wheels are awesome and definitely a technogical advantage, but are also only available on the $70k+ before ADM GT350R (and also have replacement costs that would make you never want to drive on them).

It doesn’t come standard with Recaros, but they certainly are an option (which I will definitely be picking). Like I said, I have nothing against the GT350, it’s a great car... it just lasted about 2 years longer than it should have without any significant updates.

And thanks for having a good conversation instead of getting offended like most of these Shelby folk tend to :p
the mach 1 is a parts bin special everyone knows this and let’s not beat around the bush. It’s not going to really replace the gt350 in the enthusiast world. Only if Ford makes it the same msrp which would be stupid. The big issue i have with the mach 1 is the engine it wouldn’t of taken a lot for Ford to make it a 5.2. It has the same bore as the gt500/350 engine the stroke is just short at 92.3mm vs 93. Honestly that all they needed to do just to give the mach 1 something special but whatever i digress

Voodoo Velocity

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 / 2016 Acura RLX Sport Hybrid
The Mach 1 is a special edition to replace the Bullitt special edition.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Most of this is subjective. IMO, the 350 stayed a little analog, which I think went with the theme of the car and I don't think it's a problem that it didn't get some updates.

What I believe is - those little differences that many point out as an indication that the car isn't that much better than X or Y car for the additional money it costs....are what really sets it apart and will, in the future, make the 350 what the 964 has become for Porsche enthusiasts. 350 = Carrera C2 and 350R = Carrera RS. There was also not a LOT of differences between those 2 cars (maybe more than the delta between the 350 and R) but the RS brings 5x what a regular C2 brings.

Hard to say if the cash value will follow but I do feel that these are the types of things that drive enthusiast desirability.

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone who calls the 18+ front end a droopy catfish just wishes they could afford one :crackup:
Oh, how the tables have turned :LOL:

the mach 1 is a parts bin special everyone knows this and let’s not beat around the bush. It’s not going to really replace the gt350 in the enthusiast world. Only if Ford makes it the same msrp which would be stupid. The big issue i have with the mach 1 is the engine it wouldn’t of taken a lot for Ford to make it a 5.2. It has the same bore as the gt500/350 engine the stroke is just short at 92.3mm vs 93. Honestly that all they needed to do just to give the mach 1 something special but whatever i digress
We do know that the Mach 1 is a parts bin special, but a lot of those parts come from its Shelby counterpart. The engine, for me, isn’t a huge deal. I prefer the Coyote to the Voodoo solely for reliability’s sake. I don’t think making it a 5.2 would’ve been a good option, as it would have skyrocketed the price... 5.2L bore is bigger (3.66” vs 3.7”) and has longer stroke (3.65” vs 3.66”) and also doesn’t have ports for direct injection, so it would’ve required A LOT of work to make that happen. However, what they SHOULD have done was expand on that “parts pin special” and keep true to Mach 1 heritage by installing GT350 heads. The coyote can rev to 8250RPM maintaining the same piston speed as the GT350 as long as the valvetrain is able to support it, so with the GT350’s high flowing heads and upgraded valve springs combined with an 8000RPM redline, it not only would’ve made the Coyote a more enjoyable engine (just as enjoyable as a Voodoo without all the problems), but it would’ve helped it break the 500hp mark that so many wanted it to

Contrary to popular belief, the Coyote is FAR from maxed out

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
thats not entirely fair the gt350 is outdated from the standpoint of what they’ve done to it VS what Ford has done to the mustang GT over the same period of time. A lot of guys on here don’t seem to understand once the 18 mustang GT came out the-writing was on the wall for the gt350. It didn’t get any of the mid cycle updates, and then the gt500 came out and sale took a crap. So honestly the poor car was just riding on it’s reputation more than anything else. Honestly it breaks my heart Ford didn’t go all out and make a real gt350 gen 2
Yeah, that would have been nice. I'm like WTF is with HID headlights in this day and age? Guess Ford is trying to use up the parts bin. :angry: Other than that, I really enjoy the car. Even over my '17 Z06. I was kind of hoping GM would up their game with the C8. That obviously has not happened. From the way it looks, there won't be a 16th for me.
Sponsored