Sponsored

It’s starting to get cold, does everyone pack it in for the winter?

RichGT350R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350R HEP
After reading about the Cup 2’s, I’m getting concerned about the cold weather coming. I figured I would get one more weekend to have some play time.. but we’re only going to the 50’s... what is everyone else doing?
Sponsored

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
No, i put my all seasons on and i drive.. My mustang is my only car so i have no choice..

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
After reading about the Cup 2’s, I’m getting concerned about the cold weather coming. I figured I would get one more weekend to have some play time.. but we’re only going to the 50’s... what is everyone else doing?
Yes, get some tires that are more cold weather friendly. I find that if you start dipping below 45 or so, the tires are more difficult to manage. Don't go below freezing or they will crack. I have photos if you need to see them.

I think most use the 4S's, it just depends on what kind of weather you plan to go out in. When it starts getting real cold, the oil temp is a concern. You will find it difficult to get the 5W50 up to a temp where you can have fun with the car. This sort of goes hand in hand with tires, because the cold snaps I get down in FL during the winter changes the characteristics of the car. It becomes much more loose and well, you know......

OP
OP
RichGT350R

RichGT350R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350R HEP
Yes, get some tires that are more cold weather friendly. I find that if you start dipping below 45 or so, the tires are more difficult to manage. Don't go below freezing or they will crack. I have photos if you need to see them.

I think most use the 4S's, it just depends on what kind of weather you plan to go out in. When it starts getting real cold, the oil temp is a concern. You will find it difficult to get the 5W50 up to a temp where you can have fun with the car. This sort of goes hand in hand with tires, because the cold snaps I get down in FL during the winter changes the characteristics of the car. It becomes much more loose and well, you know......
Thanks Tomster,

Ill have to look into a different wheel and tire arrangement for the colder months.. I’m not new to not driving a car in colder months or bad weather. I also have a 2002 T bird that I bought new that only has 8,000 miles. But this one, I want to drive it as much as I can! I’m not looking to track or beat her, I just want to enjoy it as much as I can! Thanks again, and Best Regards!

3rdRGR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush RS2, 2011 Nissan Murano SV
Looking for an All Season Wheel/Tire setup as we speak. In Southern Indiana, so I don't think I need Winters.

Sponsored

ZX3ST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350, Kona Blue, J3116
The super sports go back on it when the temps dip. It gets put up for the season once the salt hits the roads the first time. Pretty much exactly how the Harley gets treated. :blush:

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350 (sold)
This past Tuesday I had an early meeting. Pulled out of the garage around 35F. Fifteen minutes of city driving and never even saw 180 oil temp. Tires were 32psi to start and were 33 fifteen minutes later.
So ya, she doesn’t like the cooler weather.

GT4EVR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 K2498; 2014 M-B SLK350; 2010 Maxima SV;
I've had mine since the first week of February 2020, so I haven't gone through a full winter with the car yet, but like Ryan (post #7) I plan on only driving it on dry days, when the temperature is 45F +. I intend to limit my RPMs until the oils (engine/trans/diff) have warmed up (love all those gauges!). Since NJ treats the roads with corrosion inducing brine and/or salt when snow, sleet, or freezing rain is forecast, I'll be keeping the car in my attached garage (w/ insulated doors) whenever those conditions are forecast. In summary, I expect it to be driven a little and garaged a lot over the winter, and use my other vehicles as needed, since they need some attention too!🙂
I definitely plan on keeping the Cup 2s on the car year round, and just not use the car when the temps are below 45F.

Last edited:

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I've decided to drive mine on dry days when its not too cold. As long as you aren't getting the car wet and slushy or driving like its summer you'll be OK.
That's what I did with my 2016 GT350. I already had a set of Blizzaks from my previous Mustang GT that was an every day driver. And the car was too fun to drive to completely put it away. Funny thing though - the longer I owned that car the more I loved it - which translated to me driving it LESS in the winter.

Yes the oil doesn't warm up when it's cold. But the car does work fine, even in double digit below zero weather.

And definitely there's no reason to rev it out in the winter. You're not going to have enough traction to use the power anyway.

Sponsored

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
They say it will be in the 50s at night here next week....Not sure what I'm going to do... ;) :)

FDHog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 2020 Ford Raptor
One of the first things I did was take the Cup 2's off and put on Super Sports. I'll drive it down to 40-45 deg as long as roads are dry.

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
And it’s sucks when you have to make alternate arrangements and concessions for winter because this thing looooovveesss cold weather. I’ve ever had a car before like this one where cold air makes it feel like a damn different car. At least mine does anyways.

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350 (sold)
And it’s sucks when you have to make alternate arrangements and concessions for winter because this thing looooovveesss cold weather. I’ve ever had a car before like this one where cold air makes it feel like a damn different car. At least mine does anyways.
Cold weather?
Cold weather in my region is just below freezing. Cold weather in St Louis is probably below zero.
I was thinking the same thing later in the morning when things got above 45 or so. Nothing like cold air around sea level to make her go ;-)

JR369

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Iconic
Even in North TX I find myself in a bit a pickle about whether or not to drive it to work in the morning here and there where it's below 50*. Later in the afternoon it's in the 70's and I alway say damn I shoulda drove the R. But I'll probably limit driving the R to after work now.
Sponsored