Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
Any idea what could possibly be going wrong here? The last few times I cut on my A/C, I hear a "whine" noise as I get higher in the RPMs, almost like a toy or something. It happens for about 5-10 minutes and then it goes away. I've rarely even used the A/C so it's hard to imagine that something's wrong already. I'm planning to call and take it to Ford for assistance unless the solution is something simple enough for me to do it. Just got the car in October and again, I've rarely used the A/C to begin with.

Here's a video of how it sounds -- you may need to turn the volume all the way up or put in some headphones.

[ame]
Sponsored

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
Took my car in for oil line recall, and also for AC issue. Thought it might be the leaking evap like everyone else seems to have. Ended up being a pressure transducer. Was definitely happy it wasn't the evap because they would have to take out my dash for that job.

OP
OP
altjx

altjx

GTFO_0036 | 1337 h4x3r
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
Took my car in for oil line recall, and also for AC issue. Thought it might be the leaking evap like everyone else seems to have. Ended up being a pressure transducer. Was definitely happy it wasn't the evap because they would have to take out my dash for that job.
Damn. Very interesting. I just heard about the AC pressure switch also needing to be replaced. I'm gonna definitely have to call tomorrow.

OP
OP
altjx

altjx

GTFO_0036 | 1337 h4x3r
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
Had an appointment scheduled with Ford but ended up canceling it to go in for a resonator delete and have a friend take a listen to the sound too. He thinks it could be the alternator. Ford thinks it's probably the compressor.

Rescheduled to go back next Wednesday. Can't express how embarrassing this is. I don't even use the AC now just because of the noise. Sounds like a broken down old ass car or something.

rfcs550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby Track Pak Triple Yellow
Right after the oil cooler recall, the AC's evaporator gave out. Mine gave out at one year exactly. Symptoms? Starts blowing warmer air from either of the two vents on the passg or driver side. It takes time to get the air to cool at start up. You might see a white film in the lower part of the windshield.

For installation, the front seats and the whole dash had to be removed. I'm picking the car today and hoping I have everything working in order and in the right place. I'm hoping the new part does not come from the same vendor or that there's some design flaw causing them to fail (like extreme heat in the firewall causing the evaporator core to break).

Here's the thing. I live in the tropics so I use the AC 24/7. My dealer said that he's replacing evaporators in the new Mustangs of a few cars every week. The other thing that's wrong in the AC's of these cars is some sensor switch. A few have had bad compressors, but most come in for the evaporator. The dealer had the evaporator in stock (lucky me because I've heard of delays of over a month in out of stock) and the job took a day and a half. I'm hoping the new evaporator does not come from the same vendor.

It's important that for evaporator issues after diagnosis that you insist on the dealer having the part in stock or order the part before they start working on your car. If they take the dash out and they do not have the evaporator in stock you might be left without the car for a month or more.

Sponsored

dkbluedevil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
You're not the only one with this AC whine. I've had it for as long as I can remember, and it doesn't really go away after a few minutes like yours, but I hadn't thought it was something worth having looked at. It's still super cold. Interested to hear what your dealer says next week.

funkbrotherj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Same boat here.

I have these other issues as well that probably others are having but I'm sure none of us find them annoying enough yet. Do we just stay ok with them?

OP
OP
altjx

altjx

GTFO_0036 | 1337 h4x3r
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
My dealer replaced the AC compressor and the noise has significantly reduced. Haven't really heard it since it got fixed.
Sponsored