Issue with BMR lower control arm bearing kit bk055

Robottrainer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Robottrainer
Magnaride cars are different to accommodate the reverse wound coil springs.
Yes, but are they doing cores for those?
Sponsored

jmeiers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1/401A/A10
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, but are they doing cores for those?
Give them a call. They may not have any cores if they are different. I bet they would install them in your arms though If you ship them.

Robottrainer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Robottrainer
Give them a call. They may not have any cores if they are different. I bet they would install them in your arms though If you ship them.
I was just curious. I've had the 055s installed for the past 2 years. No problem so far. The smaller BMR bearing is probably a better choice for reduced grief.

jmeiers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I was just curious. I've had the 055s installed for the past 2 years. No problem so far. The smaller BMR bearing is probably a better choice for reduced grief.
Exactly. BK055 is overkill for this application. This whole thread is to prevent someone any future grief if they also end up with a locked up noisy BK055 and save people money at the same time. The smaller BMR bearing is cheaper. I wish this thread existed before I installed the BK055.

HAVOC_5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
I don't get it...

I bought the BK055 and I'm getting ready to put mine in.

It gives you the tolerances and what's allowed, as well as the clips. If done properly, their should be no issues? It sounds like after reading these posts that most have solved them by adjusting torque, checking spacing, etc.

Sponsored

jmeiers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I don't get it...

It gives you the tolerances and what's allowed, as well as the clips. If done properly, their should be no issues? It sounds like after reading these posts that most have solved them by adjusting torque, checking spacing, etc.
All those things that were tried were futile attempts at resolving a problem with the BK055 bearing itself and not how they were installed. I believe they said there may have been a bad batch of bearings out there.

They may work out for you. But after reading this thread, do you want to roll the dice and potentially cause yourself unnecessary pain? Return those BK055 and go with BMRs other bearing option or Steeda or Cortex and you wonā€™t even have to think about it again or pray you didnā€™t get a shit bearing.

HAVOC_5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
All those things that were tried were futile attempts at resolving a problem with the BK055 bearing itself and not how they were installed. I believe they said there may have been a bad batch of bearings out there.

They may work out for you. But after reading this thread, do you want to roll the dice and potentially cause yourself unnecessary pain? Return those BK055 and go with BMRs other bearing option or Steeda or Cortex and you wonā€™t even have to think about it again or pray you didnā€™t get a shit bearing.
Honestly, I just got mine this past week.

This thread seems to have been from years ago with a few people chiming in recently.

Yes, I'd rather install these ones, instead of a different one. Maybe I'll be lucky, maybe I won't. BMR has always been great to me and alot of our drag cars as well with zero issues. My K Member came, no issues, boxed amazingly, welds perfect, akd fitment is excellent so far.

Robottrainer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Robottrainer
I don't get it...

I had no problems and torque to spec. Biggest thing was making sure there was a gap between the spacers and that the spacers are clamped after torqueing I also clamped it in a vice and worked the ball until I got it down to 45 lb.ft it started at 90

Crackerjack17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
I don't get it...

By adjusting torque you are simply letting the spacers turn inside the ball. Not how it was designed to work. The center ball and spacers should lock together as a unit and the outer bearing race turns around the ball. The bearings I have are bad(locked up) and purchased only 3 months ago.

On an different note... I just went to the track yesterday and in 91 degree weather and a 3100 DA, it was hitting 144mph in the 1/4 on 14lbs. Launch felt awesome with solid bearings. No wheelhop.

Robottrainer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Robottrainer
By adjusting torque you are simply letting the spacers turn inside the ball. Not how it was designed to work. The center ball and spacers should lock together as a unit and the outer bearing race turns around the ball. The bearings I have are bad(locked up) and purchased only 3 months ago.

On an different note... I just went to the track yesterday and in 91 degree weather and a 3100 DA, it was hitting 144mph in the 1/4 on 14lbs. Launch felt awesome with solid bearings. No wheelhop.
I guess I should expand. Their needs to be a gap between the two spacer. If the touch, they won't clamp the ball so now the ball/bushings rotate around the bolt. I clamped the outer shell of the entire bearing in my press and put a bolt through the bushings and ball and tightened the bolt to the spec of the LCR bolt. I then worked the ball around for a few Days. The torque to turn the ball started at 95lb.ft. I got it down to 45 lb.ft.

Sponsored

Jeepwx03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Mustang, 15 Mustang GT PP, 13 F150 FX4
I ended up trashing these and ordering a set from Steeda. No issues what so ever and everything is torqued to spec. I reached out to BMR with little success. They sent me a replacement, only 1, with no options for returns. Lesson learned.

Crackerjack17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
I ended up trashing these and ordering a set from Steeda. No issues what so ever and everything is torqued to spec. I reached out to BMR with little success. They sent me a replacement, only 1, with no options for returns. Lesson learned.
Same. Lol. I told him they were both bad and that one was completely locked. Sent a single bearing. I guess I should have communicated more clearly or maybe it was just the shipping dept. I'll send it to you and you can make a set. šŸ˜† šŸ¤£

bignoseknows69

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
I've been following this for over a year now. I had the exact same issue. Loud popping on the driver side rear coming directly from this BK055 bearing. I loosened the bolt, articulated the suspension and the popping went away. I tried 2/3 torque, preloading then torquing, not preloading then torquing, spray lube, etc... Nothing will fix this popping noise. I am tired of it. The RLCAs are coming off the car and I am pressing out the BK055 and putting in anything but BMR product. They know this is an issue and they won't respond to warranty for anybody else so I won't even try that route. The CB005 positional tolerance and angle issue to the rear sub frame on the driver side is also a known about issue and they continue to sell those kits also. I tried to warranty that and they just sent me another one that had the exact same issue.

In the photo below, you can see the faulty BK005 bearing and the faulty CB005 bracket.
IMG_20221030_121507811.jpg

For some reason, the passenger side does not have this problem on my car. So I might not replace that one, but not sure yet. So thanks to BMR for continuing to sell product with known issues to unsuspecting people.

jmeiers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I've been following this for over a year now. I had the exact same issue. Loud popping on the driver side rear coming directly from this BK055 bearing. I loosened the bolt, articulated the suspension and the popping went away. I tried 2/3 torque, preloading then torquing, not preloading then torquing, spray lube, etc... Nothing will fix this popping noise. I am tired of it. The RLCAs are coming off the car and I am pressing out the BK055 and putting in anything but BMR product. They know this is an issue and they won't respond to warranty for anybody else so I won't even try that route. The CB005 positional tolerance and angle issue to the rear sub frame on the driver side is also a known about issue and they continue to sell those kits also. I tried to warranty that and they just sent me another one that had the exact same issue.

In the photo below, you can see the faulty BK005 bearing and the faulty CB005 bracket.
IMG_20221030_121507811.jpg

For some reason, the passenger side does not have this problem on my car. So I might not replace that one, but not sure yet. So thanks to BMR for continuing to sell product with known issues to unsuspecting people.
It was only the driver side on my car too but I replaced them both. No issues since I removed the BK055s. When you pull yours, my driver side BK055 was basically stuck and would not budge without a big ass breaker bar.

bignoseknows69

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
It was only the driver side on my car too but I replaced them both. No issues since I removed the BK055s.
That is awesome to hear! What did you end up going with out of curiousity?
Sponsored