Sponsored

Issue with BMR lower control arm bearing kit bk055

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
I have some parts from another manufacturer at home that use spericals and reducer bushes - I'm going to do a quick check on the clearance between the reducer bushes and report back :like:

WD :like:
0.75mm per side / 1.50mm total gap between the reducer bushes :like:

WD :like:
Sponsored

Robottrainer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Robottrainer

Robottrainer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Robottrainer
My entire rear suspension is done except for Diff bushings. The only thing that was causing any noise was my driver side RLCA bearing, after I installed the BK055s.

The suspect bearings just bind up when fully torqued down to 166 ft./lbs. As a test yesterday, I put the back end of car on my wheel cribs. Then I put the driver side on a jack stand so that the driver side rear suspension could go thru the entire range of motion using another jack. What I noticed right away though is that there was not much fender gap between the tire and fender, even though the rear suspension was able to go full droop. So I took the rear wheel off and very slowly started backing off the RLCA bolt and after about a 1/4 turn, the rear suspension dropped to full droop. Then I jacked it up/down many times to watch it go thru the full range of motion. I was already running that extra nut on the outside frame ear so I just put that back on and snugged it up. Noise free!
I gave up on the diff bushings. Short of dropping the entire cradle, there was no way I was getting the front ones in.

Crackerjack17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
I wish I would have searched about this earlier. I recently installed 3:31 gears in my diff, so while I had everything apart I installed the bk055 bearing. I'm currently sitting here with the rear suspension apart for a 3rd time. I installed them and like other got the clicking/squeaking noises. So I loosed the bolt, but all that does is allow the ball to rotate around the spacers, which obviously over time is bad. So I removed them, sanded down the spacers and put the control arm in a vise and manually worked the bearing around. It is extremely tight, but I figured maybe it would loosen up after some miles. Nope. With it torqued down to the proper bolt torque the bearing is basically locked up. I cannot get full range of motion out of it. If I jack the car up the rear end will drop. But when the car is sitting on it's own and you jump up and down on the trunk, there is no suspenion movement. So when driving you are basically riding on the tires. Crazy. The tolerances must be so tight that when torque down the ball expands every so slightly and binds. I called BMR and the guy acted like it was the first time they were hearing about this.
20230507_174601.jpg

Last edited:

Crackerjack17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
Now I'm debating the cortex or just order the steeda one?

Sponsored

jmeiers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1/401A/A10
Vehicle Showcase
I called BMR and the guy acted like it was the first time they were hearing about this.
I feel your pain. If you look back in this thread, they even offered to replace them for everyone with the issue and I sent them my receipt and got nothing but crickets in return. I only have an issue on the driver side but I will eventually swap out the BK055's for the Steeda. However, I never heard of Cortex before and some quick reading says they will sell them already installed in another set of GT rear arms and just charge you a core charge to return your stock arms. Would make the swap super easy but my only issue with that is I installed the PP1 bearings in the other locations on the arm too. But those are much easier to remove/replace compared to the RLCA bearing.

Crackerjack17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
I feel your pain. If you look back in this thread, they even offered to replace them for everyone with the issue and I sent them my receipt and got nothing but crickets in return. I only have an issue on the driver side but I will eventually swap out the BK055's for the Steeda. However, I never heard of Cortex before and some quick reading says they will sell them already installed in another set of GT rear arms and just charge you a core charge to return your stock arms. Would make the swap super easy but my only issue with that is I installed the PP1 bearings in the other locations on the arm too. But those are much easier to remove/replace compared to the RLCA bearing.
There are only two bearing/bushings on the lca. The other factory one is a bearing with a boot over each side, at least on my PP car. Maybe you are thinking of the Ford performance toe bearing, but that's on the knuckle side. Anyhow, I already removed the bearings. Monday I will order something else. Half tempted to reinstall the rubber ones. Lol. But it is planted feeling with no squirm under power. (I drove two hours yesterday on E85 and at 13-14lbs, it picks up speed from an 80 roll super quick and smooth.)

And, so the drivers side bearing was locked. I couldn't even lower the control arm without loosenig the bolt. I put the arm in the vice and the bearing still wont move. BUT... once the bearing is removed from the LCA, it will move around barely with a long extension. So the outer housing/race must be getting compresed when installed, coupled with an already tight bearing = disaster.
20230507_200420.jpg
20230507_200025.jpg

Crackerjack17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
For your viewing pleasure... and that's with the spring still in there!

NeverSatisfied

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT 6MT Base
The problem that jumps at me is the lower arm design requires one of the two joints at the cradle to have some deflection for the arm to cycle.

once you replace the oem bushing with a spherical joint, It makes complete sense to me why a ball joint and a spherical joint won’t let the lower arm pivot at the cradle once properly torqued down

I would go poly/bronze bushing at this joint.

S550 Recon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
'22 CF150
The problem that jumps at me is the lower arm design requires one of the two joints at the cradle to have some deflection for the arm to cycle.

once you replace the oem bushing with a spherical joint, It makes complete sense to me why a ball joint and a spherical joint won’t let the lower arm pivot at the cradle once properly torqued down

I would go poly/bronze bushing at this joint.
It does not make complete sense, because that is not accurate at all.

A spherical bearing configuration is the best solution and will rotate/pivot/articulate much smoother and cleaner than any other sort of bushing configuration. Poly and/or bronze etc it s disaster of a material for this front mounting point on the RLCA.

This issue is specifically in regards to the BMR-BK055. Their BK081 is totally different and the product I prefer. This 055 features a larger and tighter spec bearing configuration that really is overkill and, apparently, too complicated on a tolerance scale for BMR to "get right"

The only thing you can do with the BK055 kit is use it and abuse it and it will eventually be fine. It just takes some miles and abuse. In a drag race setting they tend to work sooner and sort themselves out.

Sponsored

Crackerjack17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
It does not make complete sense, because that is not accurate at all.

A spherical bearing configuration is the best solution and will rotate/pivot/articulate much smoother and cleaner than any other sort of bushing configuration. Poly and/or bronze etc it s disaster of a material for this front mounting point on the RLCA.
Exactly. The outer race and body of the bearing will pivot around the ball that is captured between mounting points on the rear subframe. It should be a smooth bind free situation. I just picked up the steeda ones from cj pony parts because I was in the area. I will have it back together tomorrow and see how they work out.
20230508_124058.jpg

Robottrainer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Robottrainer
I wish I would have searched about this earlier. I recently installed 3:31 gears in my diff, so while I had everything apart I installed the bk055 bearing. I'm currently sitting here with the rear suspension apart for a 3rd time. I installed them and like other got the clicking/squeaking noises. So I loosed the bolt, but all that does is allow the ball to rotate around the spacers, which obviously over time is bad. So I removed them, sanded down the spacers and put the control arm in a vise and manually worked the bearing around. It is extremely tight, but I figured maybe it would loosen up after some miles. Nope. With it torqued down to the proper bolt torque the bearing is basically locked up. I cannot get full range of motion out of it. If I jack the car up the rear end will drop. But when the car is sitting on it's own and you jump up and down on the trunk, there is no suspenion movement. So when driving you are basically riding on the tires. Crazy. The tolerances must be so tight that when torque down the ball expands every so slightly and binds. I called BMR and the guy acted like it was the first time they were hearing about this.
20230507_174601.jpg
This bearing is very stiff new. I actually took a nut, bolt and washer and clamped the spacers into the ball. I took two v blocks and locked the outer race in my 20 ton press. I then worked the ball until I got the torque down to 40 lb ft to move it.

The rear end is very stiff. I attribute it to the magnaride shocks. With the Steeda springs I don't notice it when driving. It's actually pretty good in normal mode

Crackerjack17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
This bearing is very stiff new. I actually took a nut, bolt and washer and clamped the spacers into the ball. I took two v blocks and locked the outer race in my 20 ton press. I then worked the ball until I got the torque down to 40 lb ft to move it.

The rear end is very stiff. I attribute it to the magnaride shocks. With the Steeda springs I don't notice it when driving. It's actually pretty good in normal mode
I worked both of them free with a long 1/2 extension in every axis. I had them pretty free I thought. I sanded down the spacers to make sure they weren't touching and re-installed. But they locked up. When I got everything apart with just the LCA attached by only the two bolts, the one side I could barely move and if you watch the video, the other side was locked. Why can't someone make one like the factory has in the other side? The factory one has zero play and I can turn and move them with my fingers.

Robottrainer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Robottrainer
I worked both of them free with a long 1/2 extension in every axis. I had them pretty free I thought. I sanded down the spacers to make sure they weren't touching and re-installed. But they locked up. When I got everything apart with just the LCA attached by only the two bolts, the one side I could barely move and if you watch the video, the other side was locked. Why can't someone make one like the factory has in the other side? The factory one has zero play and I can turn and move them with my fingers.
The smaller bearing and the Steeda is like that. You can move them by hand. I believe FK makes these bearings. They have a tolerance level where there is a range of stiffness within that bearing group. I have both the large and small BMR and decided to use the big one (the bigger is better approach).

As a note, Kelly at Kelltrac recommends the smaller bearing as he feels the large one is too stiff. He sells more small than large.

jmeiers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1/401A/A10
Vehicle Showcase
Exactly. The outer race and body of the bearing will pivot around the ball that is captured between mounting points on the rear subframe. It should be a smooth bind free situation. I just picked up the steeda ones from cj pony parts because I was in the area. I will have it back together tomorrow and see how they work out.
20230508_124058.jpg
Eagerly awaiting your feedback on the Steeda bearings especially from the NVH department. Thanks!
Sponsored